I hope you die

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

I hope you die

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

It's a statement we've all heard at some point in our lives. Sometimes it's when we were kids and didn't have enough couth to know better, other times it was in the heat of an argument, other times it may have been simply thinking the world would be better without said person(s).

For those that believe in a blissful afterlife, why wouldn't you wish death on someone you're sure would be going to this blissful afterlife? In other words, 'I hope you die!', normally seen as a negative statement, should be a positive one; dying would remove them from this hurtful world and place them in a wonderful eternity.

So why don't we say this more often?

Some would say 'it's rude', 'it's hateful', 'their work isn't yet done', or a myriad of other reasons not to say it. But, if you 'know' that person is bound for a perfect afterlife, why not 'wish' them a speedy means to get to that afterlife?

It may seem juvenile, but the underlying reasoning is sound: death -> afterlife. Why not wish it on them?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: I hope you die

Post #11

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to bjs1 in post #8]
I don’t see how this could be a blessing to a Christians.
The idea is heaven is better than here, so die and go to heaven.

Tcg
Savant

Post #12

Post by Tcg »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:22 am [Replying to bjs1 in post #8]
Those familiar with Philippians would understand why it could be considered a blessing to Christians:
Philippians 1:20 I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. 21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. 22 If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! 23 I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; 24 but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body.
Of course the author here realizes that he has a purpose to fulfill while he is alive and concludes that even though death would be better for him, remaining alive would allow him to continue fulfilling his purpose. One need not be a Christian or even a theist to realize one has a purpose to fulfill prior to death. This can create a desire to stay alive no matter what one thinks death entails.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #13

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to Tcg in post #12]
One need not be a Christian or even a theist to realize one has a purpose to fulfill prior to death.
That's IF there's a purpose. And even if there's a purpose, it could be filled before turning 25 years old. So, at that point, purpose served, it's 'off to die for you!' (potentially).

Tcg
Savant

Post #14

Post by Tcg »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:39 am [Replying to Tcg in post #12]
One need not be a Christian or even a theist to realize one has a purpose to fulfill prior to death.
That's IF there's a purpose. And even if there's a purpose, it could be filled before turning 25 years old. So, at that point, purpose served, it's 'off to die for you!' (potentially).
Yes, it could be approached that way. I am convinced that people should choose/create their own purpose. If one is filled they should choose/create another. Life is not fulfilling without a purpose.

Of course if one completes what they feel is their purpose in life and they believe death would initiate a better afterlife, it could be viewed as preferable. If the author of Philippians felt he had completed his purpose, I'm sure he would agree.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by nobspeople »

Tcg wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:53 am
Yes, it could be approached that way. I am convinced that people should choose/create their own purpose. If one is filled they should choose/create another. Life is not fulfilling without a purpose.

Of course if one completes what they feel is their purpose in life and they believe death would initiate a better afterlife, it could be viewed as preferable. If the author of Philippians felt he had completed his purpose, I'm sure he would agree.

Tcg
"Creating" your own purpose... I like that (as opposed to 'realizing' what your purpose is, as some seem to think).
Curious: What is your purpose? And have you been successful?

Tcg
Savant

Post #16

Post by Tcg »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:57 am
Tcg wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:53 am

Tcg
"Creating" your own purpose... I like that (as opposed to 'realizing' what your purpose is, as some seem to think).
Curious: What is your purpose? And have you been successful?
My main purpose so to speak over the last 20+ years was to help my only child discover his aptitudes and understand how to use them to create a life he'd enjoy and find fulfilling. At this point he's graduated college and has found a job he is good at and enjoys a great deal. Of course the pandemic has made it difficult to maintain distant relationships and create new ones in the state he moved to, but he's doing all he can to do so.

Life challenges don't end of course, but my purpose of helping him discover a fulfilling career has ended. I wouldn't say that ends my purpose of helping him build a fulfilling life, but it's of a different nature now. My main purpose now is to support my partner as we both face the physical challenges aging brings.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Savant

Post #17

Post by 1213 »

Miles wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:33 pm Does wishing help?
Difficult to say, at least it will not cause any harm. :)

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #18

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Tcg wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:06 am
Those familiar with Philippians would understand why it could be considered a blessing to Christians:
Philippians 1:20 I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. 21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. 22 If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! 23 I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; 24 but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body.
Of course the author here realizes that he has a purpose to fulfill while he is alive and concludes that even though death would be better for him, remaining alive would allow him to continue fulfilling his purpose. One need not be a Christian or even a theist to realize one has a purpose to fulfill prior to death. This can create a desire to stay alive no matter what one thinks death entails.

Tcg
Yes. This was the religious line I had to field when I got started on apologetics. Eventually I worked it out and used the sig. on my first forum 'The truth is important'.

That is, yes, sure, living and dying in hope is fair enough, if nothing in human life matters in the universal scheme of things. And, if that's what people opt for, good luck to them. But I don't think it's good enough for someone who wants to know. As a response to Philippians, to live with the pleasure of learning and discovery and dying with acceptance and without regret or fear, is at least as good, and maybe better, than living a lie, no matter how comfortable.

bjs1
Sage

Post #19

Post by bjs1 »

Perhaps responding to my entire post, instead of one sentence out of context, would be more helpful.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #20

Post by nobspeople »

bjs1 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:31 am
Perhaps responding to my entire post, instead of one sentence out of context, would be more helpful.
Perhaps if there was something else I found interesting, I would have. As such, that's all there is that was due a response.
But thanks for your feedback nonetheless, I suppose(?)