Why do so few Americans read the Bible they value?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

Why do so few Americans read the Bible they value?

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

Americans value the Bible and as many as 9 in 10 households own a Bible. Some own as many as three or four. A recent survey suggests that slightly over half think America would be worse off without the Bible. source Presidents are sworn in using the Bible and in some cases courtroom witnesses are sworn in using the Bible. Clearly, the Bible is held in high regard.

This regard, however, doesn't result in equal levels of reading the Bible. Only 1 in 5 Americans have read all of it and only 9% have read all it more than once:

This leads to these questions for debate:

Why do so few Americans read the Bible even though it is held in high regard?

Is it possible that it is viewed highly because few have read all of it?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Re: Why do so few Americans read the Bible they value?

Post #81

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:48 pm
Tcg wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:41 pm

You claimed, "God sent his Prophet Nathan to pronounced the death sentence to David which he (Nathan) duly did."
2 Samuel 12:5-7
Nope. Nothing here supports your claim:

5 David burned with anger against the man and said to Nathan, “As surely as the Lord lives, the man who did this must die! 6 He must pay for that lamb four times over, because he did such a thing and had no pity.”

7 Then Nathan said to David, “You are the man! This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: ‘I anointed you king over Israel, and I delivered you from the hand of Saul.'
Of course it does reveal more reason for the favoritism evident in this story.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #82

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Tcg wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:54 pm

Tcg
I see no evidence of that. There is nothing in the text to support your claim. In fact the Word "favoritism" isnt mentioned once in the text. Where did you find it?. It seems to me your are simply applying preferential interpretation.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Tcg
Savant

Post #83

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:55 pm
Tcg wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:54 pm

Tcg
I see no evidence of that. There is nothing in the text to support your claim. In fact the Word "favoritism" isnt mentioned once in the text. Where did you find it?. It seems to me your are simply applying preferential interpretation.
Yes. Just as the word "mercy" isn't mentioned in the text and yet you claim it is part of the story. Preferential interpretation indeed!

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom