Where do souls come from?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Where do souls come from?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Recently heard someone tell their story about their dad. Her dad was going to die before his first grandchild was born. He was sad. His daughter told him that, if he dies before the grandchild is born, to 'go visit him in heaven' before the child is born.

It made me wonder: where do souls come from? Are all souls 'shelved' in heaven somewhere, just waiting for their vessel? Or are they each created at the moment of conception?

Provide proof that made you form your opinion.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: Where do souls come from?

Post #41

Post by JoeyKnothead »

We_Are_VENOM wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:07 am You guys are just asking questions for the sake of asking questions.
Then we get to declare you're just making unproven claims for the sake of you amaking em.

Why is it so many Christians wanna fuss about folks who ask the Christian to show they speak truth?
It is simple..
I've come to expect 'simple' is the only way a Christian can understand.
If God doesn't exist (as most of you believe anyway), then there are no souls and the question is irrelevant..a dead issue.
Yup.
Yep.
If God does exist, and he created all living things (outside himself), then all living things come from God.
And if I had me a million dollars, I could find me a pretty thing with most her teeth. That I could borrow me a few.

We can can hope and wish, and wish and dream. But if we can't show we speak truth, well there we go.
Plain and simple.
The only way the theist can understand.

Complex issues get set in the "God vault", where "He works in mysterious ways" ends all questionings, all complexities.
If you dont believe in the reality of souls/spirits, then why as where do souls come from?

Makes no sense.
"Then why as where" is the bit there I can't make of me, sense.

What you're doing in there, is you're assuming souls exist, then fretting on the how come it is they do.

Where rational minds'd seek to confirm there's a soul it there to fret.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #42

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #41]

The concept that 'well, you don't believe like me so you can't ask anything!" is appalling to me in just about ever manner possible. But it shouldn't be totally unexpected from believers. They're indoctrinated to 'never question the status quo' or engage in independent thought, typically. Just do what you're told, for the most part.
I would say the don't understand why others question their beliefs, but honestly, I think they do. They just don't like it as it shakes their faith foundation. And that's a big no-no.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #43

Post by JoeyKnothead »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:51 am [Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #41]

The concept that 'well, you don't believe like me so you can't ask anything!" is appalling to me in just about ever manner possible. But it shouldn't be totally unexpected from believers. They're indoctrinated to 'never question the status quo' or engage in independent thought, typically. Just do what you're told, for the most part.
I would say the don't understand why others question their beliefs, but honestly, I think they do. They just don't like it as it shakes their faith foundation. And that's a big no-no.
Very much.

For some folks it does seem that difficult and complex issues are just so intellectually burdensome, that some mechanism must be engaged, in order to just move on about one's daily doings.

The god concept works not only to house these difficulties, it actively works to ensure anything that fusses em up can be readily dismissed. It becomes less and less about facts, and more and more about the psychological comfort of not having to fret these difficulties.

Sorta like how the alcoholic rationalizes his drinking cause the pretty thing gets to decide what it is I eat, when it's me the one having to do me the eating. I've learned it's far less taxing, the trying to figure her out, than just to fetch outside and do me some yard work, after, ya know, that bowl of pasty, gloppy bowl of unclogs the arteries mush it is I gotta fuss me down every morning I wake up.

(edit: put me in an extra learned in there, but edited it out)
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin