Where do souls come from?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Where do souls come from?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Recently heard someone tell their story about their dad. Her dad was going to die before his first grandchild was born. He was sad. His daughter told him that, if he dies before the grandchild is born, to 'go visit him in heaven' before the child is born.

It made me wonder: where do souls come from? Are all souls 'shelved' in heaven somewhere, just waiting for their vessel? Or are they each created at the moment of conception?

Provide proof that made you form your opinion.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: Where do souls come from?

Post #31

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Miles wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:02 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:50 am Okay
Miles wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:08 pm
"A zygote is a soul"
No, a zygote is ...
"A zygote is a eukaryotic cell [singular] formed by a fertilization event between two gametes."
source: wikipedia

"zygote, fertilized egg cell [singular] that results from the union of a female gamete (egg, or ovum) with a male gamete (sperm).
source: Encyclopedia Britannica

"A zygote is the first diploid cell [singular] that is formed by the fusion of male and female gametes resulting in the formation of an embryo."
source: byjus.com/biology
....they [diploid cells] come into existence at the moment of conception.
Yup, and they're called "zygotes."
"In human fertilization, a released ovum (a haploid secondary oocyte with replicate chromosome copies) and a haploid sperm cell (male gamete)—combine to form a single 2n diploid cell [singular] called the zygote."
source: Wikipedia
The question was where do souls come from. My anwser was from their parents since all people's lives begin as a zygote.
And again, and for the last time, you also said:
"In my opinion souls* come from their parents; ie. They come into existence at the moment of conception."

And this "moment of conception" occurs when "a released ovum . . . and a haploid sperm cell . . . . combine to form a single 2n diploid cell called the zygote."

And for extra credit.
"When does the true moment of fertilization occurs? it occurs as the maternal and paternal chromosomes combine and produce the diploid ZYGOTE, or fertilized egg."
source
Miles, with the hammer, in the study.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

William
Savant

Post #32

Post by William »

[Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #31]

Miles. With the hammer. In the study.

NHH.

I think that ship sailed with JayDubs confession re "Okay I see where you're coming from I stand corrected. I believe the life starts at conception not the soul. This moment of conception" occurs when "a released ovum . . . and a haploid sperm cell . . . . combine to form a single 2n diploid cell called the zygote." Please ignore my first comment. The above will develop into a living breathing person (ie a soul). Sorry about that."

But I have been known to be mistaken once or twice...

For me it was the mother of my child. With the Spanner. In the Lounge.

I will ask me mother what position she was in, when my body was zygoted...she may still remember...

This was what our early collective embryo appeared to look like according to the science...

Note the resemblance...

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #33

Post by JoeyKnothead »

William wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:56 pm ...
This was what our early collective embryo appeared to look like according to the science...

Note the resemblance...
You have perception mere mortals will never attain.
-Punkinhead Martin

William
Savant

Post #34

Post by William »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:04 pm
William wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:56 pm ...

Note the resemblance...
You have perception mere mortals will never attain.
Ever. Say. Ever.

It is really all about This Post as to the how, why and whom et al...interactive an' all...said and done...

The task is in discerning the voices we all hear and getting those duckies all in a row...

Some say we are but mere mortals while others say "But Wait! There's More!"

xx

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #35

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Could you say where that image comes from and what indeed it's supposed to represent. Pangaea? And what does it have to do with souls? It looks as though you were using the term to mean 'human' and not the spirit/Id/life -force that most people mean when they use the term 'soul'. If you mean the conception, birth and growth of humans and (perhaps) trying to equate with with the geological evolution of the earth, let's get clear about that, shall we?

William
Savant

Post #36

Post by William »

[Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #35]
Could you say where that image comes from and what indeed it's supposed to represent. Pangaea?
Yes Pangaea.

I assume such images come from recreating what the Earth would have looked like as one piece of land before the continental drifting. Perhaps computer simulations were involved in creating the image.
And what does it have to do with souls?
I was going along with the idea being discussed that a soul is a human form, formed within the womb of a woman.
It looks as though you were using the term to mean 'human' and not the spirit/Id/life -force that most people mean when they use the term 'soul'.
If you read my posts in this thread you will see that I am one of those who think along similar lines as 'most people'.
If you mean the conception, birth and growth of humans and (perhaps) trying to equate with with the geological evolution of the earth, let's get clear about that, shall we?
No I don't mean that. I was including the observation for those with "eyes to see" to note the resemblance between the image of Pangaea and that of a Fetus.

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #37

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:40 am It made me wonder: where do souls come from? Are all souls 'shelved' in heaven somewhere, just waiting for their vessel? Or are they each created at the moment of conception?

Provide proof that made you form your opinion.
Souls come from God.

Next question.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #38

Post by JoeyKnothead »

We_Are_VENOM wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:30 pm Souls come from God.

Next question.
How can we confirm you speak truth?
-Punkinhead Martin

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #39

Post by nobspeople »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:14 pm
We_Are_VENOM wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:30 pm Souls come from God.

Next question.
How can we confirm you speak truth?
This is where a random bible verse is picked, then justified to some extreme, and say 'There!'
As if a book written by men (that can be wrong, we've learned from other threads here) is seen as the be-all-end-all authority of the matter.
Maybe the bible should be listed under the 'comedy' section of local book stores?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #40

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

You guys are just asking questions for the sake of asking questions.

It is simple..

If God doesn't exist (as most of you believe anyway), then there are no souls and the question is irrelevant..a dead issue.

If God does exist, and he created all living things (outside himself), then all living things come from God.

Plain and simple.

If you dont believe in the reality of souls/spirits, then why as where do souls come from?

Makes no sense.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!