What is behind the Pandemic induced increase in Religiosity?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

What is behind the Pandemic induced increase in Religiosity?

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

In the past decade religiosity has been on the decline. The pandemic has reversed that trend however and in 2020 24% of Americans reported that the crisis has strengthened their faith:
The pandemic is making people more religious

Established religious institutions have been in decline, but a COVID-induced spiritual awakening is likely to find new outlets.

The COVID-19 pandemic has killed more than 800,000 people worldwide, sickened many more, and triggered the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression. But one consequence of the pandemic has received less attention. In the past few months, as the pandemic hit one country after another, religiosity has risen across the world, from the United States to Indonesia.

In April, even as congregations across the United States closed regular worship services to the public, a survey by the Pew Research Center found that 24 percent of Americans said their faith had strengthened since the onset of the crisis; only 2 percent said that it had weakened. More than half of all Americans said that they had prayed to end the coronavirus. Google searches related to prayer, meanwhile, soared as the pandemic hit. In March, according to research by the economist Jeanet Bentzen, the share of Google searches for prayer surged to the highest level ever recorded. The biggest increases in religiosity occurred in more religious societies, such as Indonesia, and were especially strong among Christians and Muslims.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/08/27/ ... religious/
Does this increased religiosity and interest in prayer represent anything more than a grasping at straws?

Does it represent anything other than a desire for an all-powerful parental figure to step in and resolve this crisis created by COVID-19?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Re: What is behind the Pandemic induced increase in Religiosity?

Post #11

Post by Tcg »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:50 am [Replying to Tcg in post #1]
Does this increased religiosity and interest in prayer represent anything more than a grasping at straws?

Does it represent anything other than a desire for an all-powerful parental figure to step in and resolve this crisis created by COVID-19?
Religion is good at doing a few things. One of those things is creating fear. We see tragedies spawn new or more 'religiousness' in people, which fades over time. The fear of dying from COVID, the fear of the 'evil government' forcing things on people and the fear of getting sick (along with distrust of things not understood) helps create this type of thing IMO.
It's a bit strange. Religion relies on fear and even creates it as you state, but then claims to have the key to relieve it. Oddly enough though, for many people all it does is intensify fear.

Another odd thing I've seen amongst some of those who think this are the "last days" or even the "last day of the last days", is a smugness and at times almost a joy when mocking those who don't agree. Phrases like, "You'll know the truth soon enough." Religiosity is supposed to generate compassion for the "lost", but often it does the opposite.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: What is behind the Pandemic induced increase in Religiosity?

Post #12

Post by nobspeople »

Tcg wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:06 am
nobspeople wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:50 am [Replying to Tcg in post #1]

Religion is good at doing a few things. One of those things is creating fear. We see tragedies spawn new or more 'religiousness' in people, which fades over time. The fear of dying from COVID, the fear of the 'evil government' forcing things on people and the fear of getting sick (along with distrust of things not understood) helps create this type of thing IMO.
It's a bit strange. Religion relies on fear and even creates it as you state, but then claims to have the key to relieve it. Oddly enough though, for many people all it does is intensify fear.

Another odd thing I've seen amongst some of those who think this are the "last days" or even the "last day of the last days", is a smugness and at times almost a joy when mocking those who don't agree. Phrases like, "You'll know the truth soon enough." Religiosity is supposed to generate compassion for the "lost", but often it does the opposite.

Tcg
For the most part, that's absolutely right. I've never made the connection of the bolded section above before - maybe I haven't put that much thought into it once I left 'the flock', but it sure seems that way.
In regards to the 'compassion thing' you mention, I've found much less of that (though there are exceptions, of course) and far more hate hiding behind religion as well as people claiming 'special status' (my term) while hiding behind religion.
But, like most all things touched by humanity, religion, while maybe starting with upstanding potential, as, by in large, devolved into a quagmire of sin, hate, just-about-as-unreligous-as-you-can-get, mess.
And yet, there are those that flock to it. The human mind is truly amazing in the feats of craziness it can do while preforming mental gymnastics to justify whatever it wants. And yes, believers, that goes for everyone - don't get your panties in a bunch.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!