Jesus at Halloween

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Jesus at Halloween

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

My nephew dressed as Jesus as Halloween: rode, sandals, beard... there may have even been a crown of sorts but I can't remember from the photo.
Some were upset.
Others didn't see a problem with it.

For discussion: religious figures (no matter the denomination, sect or belief) should or should not be off limits for costumes, dress up and poking fun at?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Jesus at Halloween

Post #31

Post by nobspeople »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:53 pm
1213 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:18 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:11 pm Dressing as Jesus risks ya getting strung up on a cross.

Dressing as the devil gets ya front row tickets to a rock concert.
True, it takes more courage to dress like Jesus.
Oof, I don't have me a good counter.

Dang you 1213!

(where 'dang' is a friendly expression of my having been upped)
It is interesting how differently people think of those, dressing as the evil one is no problem, but dressing as the good one is, would be nice to know why the difference.
A very astute observation, on the one hand, but, ya know, Halloween.

It seems a time to confront social / religious norms, in a relatively healthy way. But, of course, folks'll be all folky, and muck it up here and there.

Why it would take more courage to dress like jesus than the devil seems an odd thing to claim - almost laughable. Why? Makes little sense. Unless, of course, one wants to make sure other know whom they're dressing like. Not many look like the stereotypical devil - more than a few look like the stereotypical jesus.
Is there a healthy way to confront religious norms? Seems like when the religious are challenged, they claim they're being wronged, they claim discrimination, they scream and shout and cry to the point where many simply :tunedout: and give up. Perhaps an unhealthy way would net more results?

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #32

Post by JoeyKnothead »

1213 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:00 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:53 pm ...
Is there some religious "counter thing there" that might negate the 'evils' of Halloween? Easter?

I note you never called Halloween evil, I'm just trying to see this through.
For some reason some folk seem to like to dress up as witches at Easter. It is interesting, where does that desire come to mimic something that once was considered bad. But, I think the evilness of Halloween depends on what it means for a person. In the original meaning, by what i know, it is not evil.
Thanks for the reply. Here in the Bible Belt, US of Murica, there's quite the conversation on if Halloween is evil or not. I don't see any real harm in it, except as I noted, where folks take things too far.

We have "Hell Houses", where Christians present the evils and results of sins and such. In that sense, Halloween offers the Christian an opportunity to address the "evils", and, ya know, give out them Chick Tracts.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #33

Post by JoeyKnothead »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:20 pm Why it would take more courage to dress like jesus than the devil seems an odd thing to claim - almost laughable. Why? Makes little sense. Unless, of course, one wants to make sure other know whom they're dressing like. Not many look like the stereotypical devil - more than a few look like the stereotypical jesus.
I took it as how problematic it could be to dress up as "scary Jesus", and how here in the Bible Belt, such might cause it a ruckus.

Is there a healthy way to confront religious norms? Seems like when the religious are challenged, they claim they're being wronged, they claim discrimination, they scream and shout and cry to the point where many simply :tunedout: and give up. Perhaps an unhealthy way would net more results?
As a misanthrope, you can bet I do me all the fussing and stirring up it is I can. It's just now I'm confined to my property unless my "guardian" is with me. She won't let me do a whole bunch of me the fussing and stirring up. I hate her. Not really, she lets me see her nekkid if she ain't mad at me. With no clothes on or nothing! Nekkider'n a newborn chick. Just all yellow hair and the pale skin, and the chestual area, and I'm here to tell it, that'll hush the fussing and the stirring up right quick.
-Punkinhead Martin

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #34

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #33]
I took it as how problematic it could be to dress up as "scary Jesus", and how here in the Bible Belt, such might cause it a ruckus.
What is a scary jesus, exaclty?
As a misanthrope,...
Are you saying that's unhealthy? :)

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #35

Post by JoeyKnothead »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:44 pm [Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #33]
What is a scary jesus, exaclty?
The one ya done spent all that time to kill, and then don't it beat all, he wasn't killed and hopped up and started preaching about how if you'll just send me money, I can get me a bigger jet, that I might fly about the world and get more folks to give me more money, such that eventually, I got me a planet size jet, and you ain't even welcome to look at it.
nobspeople wrote:
As a misanthrope,...
Are you saying that's unhealthy? :)
That's why you're my favorite :wave:
-Punkinhead Martin

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #36

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #35]
he one ya done spent all that time to kill, and then don't it beat all, he wasn't killed and hopped up
Ah. Zombie Jesus. Might have to steal that one for next year

:approve:
That's why you're my favorite
If you want to show appreciation, I can give you an address to send $ ;)