Jesus at Halloween

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Jesus at Halloween

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

My nephew dressed as Jesus as Halloween: rode, sandals, beard... there may have even been a crown of sorts but I can't remember from the photo.
Some were upset.
Others didn't see a problem with it.

For discussion: religious figures (no matter the denomination, sect or belief) should or should not be off limits for costumes, dress up and poking fun at?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: Jesus at Halloween

Post #11

Post by JoeyKnothead »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:57 pm
nobspeople wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:17 am For discussion: religious figures (no matter the denomination, sect or belief) should or should not be off limits for costumes, dress up and poking fun at?
I try not to "poke fun" at people for fear of being needlessly offensive. I seems to me "poking fun" is just a euphemism for mocking, degrading or disrepecting people.

PROVERBS 26:19 - Berean Study Bible

so is the man who deceives his neighbor and says, “I was only joking!”
Yet you have no problem implying they're imbeciles for thinking em different from ya.

Need I post a reference?
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Savant

Post #12

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:17 am My nephew dressed as Jesus as Halloween: rode, sandals, beard... there may have even been a crown of sorts but I can't remember from the photo.
Some were upset.

For discussion: religious figures (no matter the denomination, sect or belief) should or should not be off limits for costumes, dress up and poking fun at?
I don't know why it would be good to poke fun in that way, but obviously yes, if for example nowadays also "black face", or native American clothes are sin to use. :D

Still, I think dressing as Jesus is still better than dressing as devil.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #13

Post by nobspeople »

Tcg wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:47 pm
nobspeople wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:17 am My nephew dressed as Jesus as Halloween: rode, sandals, beard... there may have even been a crown of sorts but I can't remember from the photo.
Some were upset.

Some view statues and iconography that depict Jesus as idolatry. I could see those folks getting upset. On the other hand, Jesus has been portrayed in films and plays quite often in productions funded by Christian groups.

My main concern would be for your nephew's safety. Some who claim to be spreading a message of love can do so in quite cruel and even violent ways at times.

Tcg
Thanks for the concern but he faired OK. But you make a good point, especially in today's world where everything offends everyone all the time. Times two :P

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #14

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:57 pm
nobspeople wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:17 am For discussion: religious figures (no matter the denomination, sect or belief) should or should not be off limits for costumes, dress up and poking fun at?
I try not to "poke fun" at people for fear of being needlessly offensive. I seems to me "poking fun" is just a euphemism for mocking, degrading or disrepecting people.

PROVERBS 26:19 - Berean Study Bible

so is the man who deceives his neighbor and says, “I was only joking!”
So long as, in this case, 'Halloween Jesus' didn't do anything negative, it seems it's not 'poking fun'. But as a JW, I totally get your POV (though I think it a bit much). As others have said here, many have portrayed jesus (and other religious folk) throughout history (both in serious and non serious roles). That said, are you 'against' (for lack of a better term this early) all those portrayals as well?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by nobspeople »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:19 pm
nobspeople wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:52 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:43 am :joy: Round my way they come dressed as fairies, pirates, in a black bin -bag and even last night, a bath robe. Sometimes nothing at all. :shock: I mean no special costume, just their normal street -clobber. Trick or treet is just something they say door to door with their hand out (half of them haven't even brought a bag) and they get free sweets.
If it wasn't that it offends the religious fundamentalists because it's 'satanic' I wouldn't open the door.
Do you think those that get offended over their religious saviors' costumes and such are over hyping the issue or are they not offended enough?
No idea, mate. I just know I was originally not impressed that the kids were picking up tricking and treating from the US Tv shows being aired in Limelyland. Then some of the Biblebods were huffing and puffing in the News about it being 'Satanic' and I just changed my mind about it and went and bought bagfuls of candy to dish out. It feels good to be petty every now and again.
If it's not 'of god', many claim it's 'satanic'. I simply ignore those paranoid, fear mongers

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #16

Post by nobspeople »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:52 pm
Some were upset.

None should be above mockery.

Cept maybe the retards.

If we hold folks, or ideas sacred, we risk not seeing their faults.

(I use 'retards' here as an example of mockery - I respect the challenges they face, and lament their plight. It ain't a term I'd typically use, and have me a feeling a good bunch of y'all think I am.)
The bolded section I think is important. That said, many of these 'folks' held in high regard people don't want to see their faults. So maybe that's part of the reason?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #17

Post by JehovahsWitness »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:40 am

As others have said here, many have portrayed jesus (and other religious folk) throughout history (both in serious and non serious roles). That said, are you 'against' (for lack of a better term this early) all those portrayals as well?
As one of Jehovah's Witnesses I don't have an objection of dressing up as bible characters: Jehovahs Witnesses have their own movie productions that make bible based movies and dramas which obviouly involve dressing up as bible characters including Jesus.

We sometimes have biblical "fancy dress" parties where we dress as bible characters and dressing up as a bible character is an activity parents sometimes engage in for fun bible study sessions with their children.

Source: https://www.jw.org/en/library/books/hap ... y-worship/

But this question here was about dressing up with the aim of "poking fun" which I would never do or approved of.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #18

Post by TRANSPONDER »

I'll say this much. I have never heard of people dressing up as Biblical characters for Halllow'een, but at the outset of the pushback against Christian Fundamentalism in the 90's, I stated clearly that I did not like 'Zombie Jesus' marches. It may be just me, but I think atheism can be mocking and justifiably, for foolish and absurd religious apologetics and arguments, like a dinosaur powering a treadmill to operate a conveyor belt for removing dino -dung from the Ark. But just mockery for abuse is not what I'd approve.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #19

Post by JoeyKnothead »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:34 pm But this question here was about dressing up with the aim of "poking fun" which I would never do or approved of.
Though you certainly approve of calling folks embiciles when their opinion differs from yours.

Do you need a reminder?

It's my contention that you find mocking or insulting others perfectly fair when it's you the one adoing it.

Do I need to present your own words in support of my contention?

But mockery and such is to be expected from those who declare non-believers to be incapable of the good doing.

You promote a book, a belief, that declares the gheys need to be em kilt right then and there.

Oh, but don't mock em!

Just kill em!
-Punkinhead Martin

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #20

Post by JoeyKnothead »

1213 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:02 pm
Some were upset.

I don't know why it would be good to poke fun in that way, but obviously yes, if for example nowadays also "black face", or native American clothes are sin to use. :D

Still, I think dressing as Jesus is still better than dressing as devil.
Dressing as Jesus risks ya getting strung up on a cross.

Dressing as the devil gets ya front row tickets to a rock concert.
-Punkinhead Martin