Jesus at Halloween

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Jesus at Halloween

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

My nephew dressed as Jesus as Halloween: rode, sandals, beard... there may have even been a crown of sorts but I can't remember from the photo.
Some were upset.
Others didn't see a problem with it.

For discussion: religious figures (no matter the denomination, sect or belief) should or should not be off limits for costumes, dress up and poking fun at?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: Jesus at Halloween

Post #2

Post by TRANSPONDER »

:joy: Round my way they come dressed as fairies, pirates, in a black bin -bag and even last night, a bath robe. Sometimes nothing at all. :shock: I mean no special costume, just their normal street -clobber. Trick or treet is just something they say door to door with their hand out (half of them haven't even brought a bag) and they get free sweets.
If it wasn't that it offends the religious fundamentalists because it's 'satanic' I wouldn't open the door.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by nobspeople »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:43 am :joy: Round my way they come dressed as fairies, pirates, in a black bin -bag and even last night, a bath robe. Sometimes nothing at all. :shock: I mean no special costume, just their normal street -clobber. Trick or treet is just something they say door to door with their hand out (half of them haven't even brought a bag) and they get free sweets.
If it wasn't that it offends the religious fundamentalists because it's 'satanic' I wouldn't open the door.
Do you think those that get offended over their religious saviors' costumes and such are over hyping the issue or are they not offended enough?

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

..................................................................... DRESS HOWEVER YOU LIKE

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by nobspeople »

Miles wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:38 pm .

..................................................................... DRESS HOWEVER YOU LIKE

Well done! Love it!

Tcg
Savant

Post #6

Post by Tcg »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:17 am My nephew dressed as Jesus as Halloween: rode, sandals, beard... there may have even been a crown of sorts but I can't remember from the photo.
Some were upset.

For discussion: religious figures (no matter the denomination, sect or belief) should or should not be off limits for costumes, dress up and poking fun at?
Some view statues and iconography that depict Jesus as idolatry. I could see those folks getting upset. On the other hand, Jesus has been portrayed in films and plays quite often in productions funded by Christian groups.

My main concern would be for your nephew's safety. Some who claim to be spreading a message of love can do so in quite cruel and even violent ways at times.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #7

Post by JehovahsWitness »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:17 am For discussion: religious figures (no matter the denomination, sect or belief) should or should not be off limits for costumes, dress up and poking fun at?
I try not to "poke fun" at people for fear of being needlessly offensive. I seems to me "poking fun" is just a euphemism for mocking, degrading or disrepecting people.

PROVERBS 26:19 - Berean Study Bible

so is the man who deceives his neighbor and says, “I was only joking!”
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #8

Post by TRANSPONDER »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:52 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:43 am :joy: Round my way they come dressed as fairies, pirates, in a black bin -bag and even last night, a bath robe. Sometimes nothing at all. :shock: I mean no special costume, just their normal street -clobber. Trick or treet is just something they say door to door with their hand out (half of them haven't even brought a bag) and they get free sweets.
Do you think those that get offended over their religious saviors' costumes and such are over hyping the issue or are they not offended enough?
No idea, mate. I just know I was originally not impressed that the kids were picking up tricking and treating from the US Tv shows being aired in Limelyland. Then some of the Biblebods were huffing and puffing in the News about it being 'Satanic' and I just changed my mind about it and went and bought bagfuls of candy to dish out. It feels good to be petty every now and again.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #9

Post by TRANSPONDER »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:57 pm
nobspeople wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:17 am For discussion: religious figures (no matter the denomination, sect or belief) should or should not be off limits for costumes, dress up and poking fun at?
I try not to "poke fun" at people for fear of being needlessly offensive. I seems to me "poking fun" is just a euphemism for mocking, degrading or disrepecting people.

PROVERBS 26:19 - Berean Study Bible

so is the man who deceives his neighbor and says, “I was only joking!”
I agree. I've for some time, felt rather uncomfortably, that humour is unkind. On the other hand, there are those that are outrageous without even being funny, and totally deserve mockery. One thing I found in apologetics is that a general roar of laughter can get through to those who are being wallies more effectively than a page of serious refutation.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by JoeyKnothead »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:17 am My nephew dressed as Jesus as Halloween: rode, sandals, beard... there may have even been a crown of sorts but I can't remember from the photo.
Some were upset.

None should be above mockery.

Cept maybe the retards.

If we hold folks, or ideas sacred, we risk not seeing their faults.

(I use 'retards' here as an example of mockery - I respect the challenges they face, and lament their plight. It ain't a term I'd typically use, and have me a feeling a good bunch of y'all think I am.)
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin