Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Last supper

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

For discussion:
What was the point of the last supper?

Is eating and drinking consecrated items necessary for christians, or is it simply symbolic?
How do you get to this POV from your life?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Savant

Re: Last supper

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:01 am For discussion:
What was the point of the last supper?
He took the cup, gave thanks, and gave to them, saying, "All of you drink it, for this is my blood of the new covenant, which is poured out for many for the remission of sins.
Matthew 26:27-28

Because of that, I think it was like the seal of the new covenant. The previous covenant was sealed this way:

Moses took half of the blood and put it in basins, and half of the blood he sprinkled on the altar. He took the book of the covenant and read it in the hearing of the people, and they said, "All that Yahweh has spoken will we do, and be obedient." Moses took the blood, and sprinkled it on the people, and said, "Look, this is the blood of the covenant, which Yahweh has made with you concerning all these words."
Exodus 24:6-8

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #3

Post by TRANSPONDER »

I rather like that. Some have said (in connection with Matthew and Jesus' liking for going up mountains to deliver some significant thing or other), that Jesus is the New Moses of the New Covenant. But I've always had the sneaking suspicion that it might be hi -jacking some other rite that we don't know about because we hear little or nothing of the Pagan rituals of the time.

That said, the basis of the religious repast is 'remembrance of me'. So the idea seems to be to get together for a drink and a snack to keep the mind of the faithful focussed on the image of Jesus. At least for that time.

Overcomer
Guru

Post #4

Post by Overcomer »

It's important because it was the Passover meal in which Jews were to remember how God delivered them in Egypt. The Israelites marked their doors with the blood of a lamb so that they would not suffer the same consequence as the Egyptians, that is, the death of a firstborn son.

With the last supper, Jesus imbues that story of deliverance with new meaning as he himself is the Passover lamb bringing deliverance, not just to Jews, but to anyone who accepts him as Lord and Saviour.

See here for more:

https://www.gotquestions.org/Last-Supper.html

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

Overcomer wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:55 pm
With the last supper, Jesus imbues that story of deliverance with new meaning as he himself is the Passover lamb bringing deliverance, not just to Jews, but to anyone who accepts him as Lord and Saviour.
I noticed that you used the term, "Lord and Saviour" rather than simply, "Saviour." Does this represent a difference in meaning between the two or do you consider them synonymous?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #6

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Overcomer wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:55 pm It's important because it was the Passover meal in which Jews were to remember how God delivered them in Egypt. The Israelites marked their doors with the blood of a lamb so that they would not suffer the same consequence as the Egyptians, that is, the death of a firstborn son.

See here for more:

https://www.gotquestions.org/Last-Supper.html

I like that, too. The Passover (two days, pretty much, before the Passover, according to John) is interpreted as symbolic of the blood sacrifice. I suppose it could even be argued that their eating (in the form of bread) the sacrifice implies that the disciples replaced the Temple priests as authorities and teachers.