Another upstanding church member is caught - again (shocker)

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Another upstanding church member is caught - again (shocker)

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/lead-pastor- ... 00746.html

From the article:
“As followers of Christ, we must remember that redemption, salvation, grace, mercy and healing are all gifts given to the children of God. Although everyone must address their own convictions and consequences, our assignment as believers is not to condemn, but to be agents of God’s love, healing, justice, and reconciliation.”

As of now, their website still (seemingly proudly) features the accused (though it also has a legal disclaimer as well):
https://www.rockchurch.org/

It's not as if 'someone said he said' here; he was caught by the police directly. So while he's not 'legally guilty', he wasn't likely going there to 'convert a girl from her sinful and harmful ways'.

At what point should a church cease promoting someone caught in the act of sin and or doing an illegal act? Should the church cut ties as soon as they know what's happening, or should they wait until found guilty by the justice system?
Or should they do nothing at all? Everyone sins, right?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Another upstanding church member is caught - again (shocker)

Post #11

Post by nobspeople »

brunumb wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:16 pm
Tcg wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:47 pm If the pastor is charismatic enough and the congregation concludes they are "anointed by the Lord", their sins are much easier to forgive. Just put on a show of remorse and all is good:
In my opinion, the only remorseful sinners are the ones who get caught and even then it is just a put on show in an effort to maintain their standing in the community.
You do tend to see a 'Hollywood-like' performance of 'I'm so sorry!' form many of these people. I think of Tammy Faye and the guy who got caught with a hooker (I forget his name, thankfully). So much drama. Maybe god's a drama teacher?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #12

Post by TRANSPONDER »

There was an old meme from my schooldays (back when regular caning was considered to build character) "You're sorry? Sorry you did it or sorry you got caught?"

The regular scandals have always been entertaining, aside from the damage - limitation of the apologists who have to decide whether to go the saintly forgiveness' apologetics route or 'not a real Christian' line. The exhibition repentance never looked anything but an act and one never knew whether one was amused or disgusted. What did amuse was the scramble to try to find some Atheist scandal. The shooting in a car park was quite a large one, but it was funny when the teacher who posed questions about God in the class provoked a positive geyzer -torrent of screaming about atheist teachers, until it turned out she was a Christian trying to bring religion into class. It was pretty much guaranteed that any shooting was by an atheist, before anyone knew. But at least with the religious scandals, they could hardly blame that on the atheists.

Avoice
Guru

Post #13

Post by Avoice »

[Replying to Aetixintro in post #3]

Jesus never said keep the 10 commandments

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #14

Post by nobspeople »

Avoice wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:36 am [Replying to Aetixintro in post #3]

Hear that everyone! We're FREE! Lusting, murdering, lying, worshipping whatever thing we want... all things are on the table!
Part-tay!

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #15

Post by TRANSPONDER »

He certainly didn't say to keep the one about keeping the Sabbath Holy.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #16

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Mark 10.17 As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. “Good teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”
18 “Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone. 19 You know the commandments: ‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, you shall not defraud, honor your father and mother.’[d]”
20 “Teacher,” he declared, “all these I have kept since I was a boy.”
21 Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

True, Jesus doesn't mention keeping the Sabbath, but the others are to be kept.

Matthew is even more wordy about the importance of the commandments. We can look at those if you like. But again we seem to have a Bible -believer who seems to believe in a Bible that he keeps in his head, not the one that gets printed and handed out.

Savant

Post #17

Post by 1213 »

I understand these mean that people should keep the Commandments.

A certain ruler asked him, saying, “Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?”... ...You know the commandments: ‘Don’t commit adultery,’ ‘Don’t murder,’ ‘Don’t steal,’ ‘Don’t give false testimony,’ ‘Honor your father and your mother.’”
Luke 18-18-20

Don't think that I came to destroy the law or the prophets. I didn't come to destroy, but to fulfill. For most assuredly, I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not even one smallest letter or one tiny pen stroke shall in any way pass away from the law, until all things are accomplished. Whoever, therefore, shall break one of these least commandments, and teach others to do so, shall be called least in the Kingdom of Heaven; but whoever shall do and teach them shall be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven.
Mat. 5:17-19