Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Unforgivable sin

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

What is it?
How do you do it?
Why is it unforgivable (in your opinion)?
Why is it unforgivable (based on the bible)?
Can you do it without knowing?

What other 'need to know' bits about unforgivable sin can you offer that needs debated?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Difflugia
Prodigy

Re: Unforgivable sin

Post #21

Post by Difflugia »

William wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:14 pmIs this an example of "speaking against the Holy Ghost" or simply connecting the dots re the storyline?
Yes.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Miles
Savant

Post #22

Post by Miles »

William wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:14 pm [Replying to Miles in post #4]
How do you do it?
Blaspheme or speak against the Holy Ghost.
Why is it unforgivable (in your opinion)?
The Holy Ghost is extremely thin-skinned and highly vindictive. Not a nice combination at all.
Is this an example of "speaking against the Holy Ghost" or simply connecting the dots re the storyline?
Connecting the dots, as it were.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #23

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:58 pm
Athetotheist wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:33 pm Any sin being unforgivable is theologically untenable, as it would essentially make sin more powerful than God.
Not necessary, because it can be that God just don't want to forgive all sins.
Nicely apologeticised. In the end it's not what God can or cannot do (unless the apologist is playing the 'God is not omnipotent or omnicognisant or both' game in which case I'd say he's lost before he starts) but what He decides to do or not do. 'My creation, my universe, My Rules'. How could it be any other way?

But God has His Plan.

Here - this explains how it works, nice and clear.

William
Savant

Post #24

Post by William »

The simplest answer to this most mysterious conundrum is ;

Whatever the individual feels they have done which is unforgivable, then that is what unforgivable.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #25

Post by Athetotheist »

Athetotheist wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:33 pm Any sin being unforgivable is theologically untenable, as it would essentially make sin more powerful than God.
Except.....

"'For I have no pleasure in the death of one who dies,' says the Lord God. 'Therefore turn and live!'" (Ezekiel 18:32)

"The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentence." (2 Peter 3:9)

Miles
Savant

Post #26

Post by Miles »

William wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:03 pm The simplest answer to this most mysterious conundrum is ;

Whatever the individual feels they have done which is unforgivable, then that is what unforgivable.
Did you mean to say,

"Whatever the individual feels they have done that is unforgivable, then that is what is unforgivable."?

If so, then wouldn't you be deciding what god cannot forgive?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #27

Post by TRANSPONDER »

William wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:03 pm The simplest answer to this most mysterious conundrum is ;

What if they feel it's forgivable but someone else doesn't?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #28

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Athetotheist wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:59 pm
Except.....

"'For I have no pleasure in the death of one who dies,' says the Lord God. 'Therefore turn and live!'" (Ezekiel 18:32)

"The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentence." (2 Peter 3:9)
Other than the ones who have blasphemed against the Holy Spirit, I presume, unless the dubious 2 Peter knows better than Jesus, who said what would Not be forgiven, presumably even if they repented.

William
Savant

Post #29

Post by William »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:29 am

Whatever the individual feels they have done which is unforgivable, then that is what is unforgivable.

What if they feel it's forgivable but someone else doesn't?
Then refusing to be forgiving has its own penalty on the unforgiving?

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #30

Post by Athetotheist »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:32 am
Athetotheist wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:59 pm
Except.....

Other than the ones who have blasphemed against the Holy Spirit, I presume, unless the dubious 2 Peter knows better than Jesus, who said what would Not be forgiven, presumably even if they repented.
But there's also this twist:

"No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day." (John 6:44)

And this one:

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9)