Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Unforgivable sin

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

What is it?
How do you do it?
Why is it unforgivable (in your opinion)?
Why is it unforgivable (based on the bible)?
Can you do it without knowing?

What other 'need to know' bits about unforgivable sin can you offer that needs debated?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Overcomer
Guru

Re: Unforgivable sin

Post #2

Post by Overcomer »

When the Holy Spirit calls someone to repent and come to Christ and that person rejects the call, that person has committed the unforgivable sin.

It makes sense because, if someone is offered forgiveness for his or her sins and he or she rejects that offer of forgiveness, he or she remains unforgiven. In other words, that person has committed the unforgivable sin.

POI
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by POI »

Overcomer wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:47 pm When the Holy Spirit calls someone to repent and come to Christ and that person rejects the call, that person has committed the unforgivable sin.

It makes sense because, if someone is offered forgiveness for his or her sins and he or she rejects that offer of forgiveness, he or she remains unforgiven. In other words, that person has committed the unforgivable sin.
Would this mean a bonafide atheist is sometimes exempt from hell? Or, do atheists always go to hell too? As defined, a true atheist lacks mere belief in a god/gods.. This simply means they do not feel there exists an entity to 'repent' to.... It's one thing to believe it exists, it's another to decide whether or not to obey this believed upon entity, right?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:56 pm What is it?
According to the book of Matthew its

Matthew 12:31-32
31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

How do you do it?
Blaspheme or speak against the Holy Ghost.

Why is it unforgivable (in your opinion)?
The Holy Ghost is extremely thin-skinned and highly vindictive. Not a nice combination at all.

Why is it unforgivable (based on the bible)?
Don't know the Bible that well, but one website says

"Why is this sin “unforgivable?” Jesus said, “Every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven” (Mt. 12:31). God is not unwilling to forgive. God gave his Son to die for our sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, because of his boundless grace. What makes this sin unforgivable is the offender’s unwillingness to repent and believe. Their hardened attitude is shown by “their determination to reject any proof for Jesus’ divine mission, to the extent that they even attribute God’s attestation of Jesus to the devil.”2 Jesus’ words on this matter assure us that such intentional and blasphemous rejection of the Gospel can render the heart no longer capable of repentance and leave the sinners like these Pharisees beyond forgiveness."

source

Can you do it without knowing?
Boy, for the Christian's sake I would hope not.

What other 'need to know' bits about unforgivable sin can you offer that needs debated?
Why, with the sweep of his hand Jesus can make it all go away. i.e. it can be forgiven.

John 6:40
40 For this is My Father’s will and His purpose, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in and cleaves to and trusts in and relies on Him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up [from the dead] at the last day.

Obviously someone's lying here; either Matthew or John.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #5

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Overcomer wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:47 pm When the Holy Spirit calls someone to repent and come to Christ and that person rejects the call, that person has committed the unforgivable sin.

Really? I don't recall that at all. Chapter and verse, please. Of course, you have confused the meaning. Not being forgiven - yet is Not the same as a sin impossible to forgive. Unforgiven is not the same as unforgivable. Mind I get the Unwritten Rule that you can't repent after you die and are up in front of God 'Well - that's the proof I was after. So now I believe'.
:
"Sorry - too late, sinner. You have to repent before you die.'

It has to be that way or nobody would bother with keeping the Ministry in their jobs if they could make one final demand - payment after they leave town.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #6

Post by TRANSPONDER »

POI wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:53 pm

Would this mean a bonafide atheist is sometimes exempt from hell? Or, do atheists always go to hell too? As defined, a true atheist lacks mere belief in a god/gods.. This simply means they do not feel there exists an entity to 'repent' to.... It's one thing to believe it exists, it's another to decide whether or not to obey this believed upon entity, right?

If our pal is right that speaking against the Holy Spirit is to be taken as arguing against it rather than blaspheming (a subtle difference, perhaps), then no atheist can repent and be saved is such a sin (not believing and saying why) is 'unforgivable'. So there's no point in suggesting that we repent as we can't be forgiven anyway.

I think our pal should rethink that doctrine. Mind, he may not want to convince us. He may be here to tell all the converts from atheism or other religions to Christianity that they are damned anyway and can't be saved as the speaking against was unforgivable.

Savant

Post #7

Post by 1213 »

Miles wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:15 pm
nobspeople wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:56 pm What is it?
According to the book of Matthew its

31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.
Thanks, I was just going to show that also. I don't think it can be done unknowingly. And if person does so, I don't think he would even want to have forgiveness.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by Difflugia »

1213 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:19 pm
Miles wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:15 pm According to the book of Matthew its

Thanks, I was just going to show that also. I don't think it can be done unknowingly. And if person does so, I don't think he would even want to have forgiveness.
Based on the text, I think you're reading too much into even that and according to Mark, it's all too easy. In a bit that's omitted by Matthew and Luke, Mark tells us what "blasphemy against the Holy Spirit" means in verse 3:30 (emphasis mine):
“Most certainly I tell you, all sins of the descendants of man will be forgiven, including their blasphemies with which they may blaspheme; but whoever may blaspheme against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation.”—because they said, “He has an unclean spirit.”
According to Mark, attributing the miracles of Jesus to an evil spirit rather than the Holy Spirit is blasphemy (speaking evil) against the Holy Spirit.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by Athetotheist »

Any sin being unforgivable is theologically untenable, as it would essentially make sin more powerful than God.

Miles
Savant

Post #10

Post by Miles »

Athetotheist wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:33 pm Any sin being unforgivable is theologically untenable, as it would essentially make sin more powerful than God.
Hey! It's his game so he gets to make the rules.

Blaspheme against the Holy Ghost or simply speaketh against it, and you're headed for hell pal. Do not stop at Go and do not collect $200.