A result of our belief, or is belief a result of us?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

A result of our belief, or is belief a result of us?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Listening to a podcast today, a hunter experienced a 'creature' in the woods. When asked what he thought it was, his response was: "Well, I'm a Christian so I believe it was...." and he went on to describe fallen angels, coming to earth, breeding with women (guess there's no gay or bi- angels... odd how that works) and on and on - all related to biblical passages and stories. Up to that point, we was articulate, but then, he 'went off the rails', as it were.

It made me wonder if he wasn't raised as a christian, would his explanation been different. If he was Native American, for example, would it have not been a fallen angel and been a windego or skinwalker?

For discussion:
Are humans, that are raised under a specific religious dogma, who they are (in regards to their thinking, reasoning, understanding of the world, etc) because of their religious belief or is a specific religious belief the way it is strictly because of the people who believe in, and support it?
In other words: do people make the religion that then molds the people, or vice versa? Or is it something altogether different?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!