Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Hate behind love

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/were-not-gon ... 49114.html

Yet another sickening display of the adulteration of 'christ's love', seen above.

Why is it so easy for not only people to hide hate behind love, but also be 'overlooked' for hating when they should be loving?

For discussion:
Why do you think a loving god allows for such hatred to be fostered within his name?
And why do so many people seem to 'overlook' the hate that spews from churches?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: Hate behind love

Post #11

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:30 pm
nobspeople wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:23 pm ...
Why do you think a loving god allows for such hatred to be fostered within his name?
Do you mean, why God allows church to fly Black Lives Matter and Pride flags? Both seem to be hateful towards conservative Christians and God.

Assuming that's the case in a number of churches, it would show an uncommon love of humanity - all humanity - that has been too often lacking in churches. From my point of view, Churches are not initially about race or gay rights, but it's encouraging to see if some are indicating that their church welcomes all irrespective of race or gender.

If I may put in a plug for atheism :? In the past there were some shouts of atheism being a 'white boys' club'. And the initial voices were indeed white males. About their sexual orientation I have no idea. But I know the doors were always open and there are many , many fine female speakers on atheist webchats or podshows or whatever the damn' thing are. There aren't so many black or asian public atheist voices but I have seen a number of African-American private videos about their atheism/deconversion, and I'm glad to see that and hope for more to be wider ranging voices within atheist apologetics.

Savant

Post #12

Post by 1213 »

Miles wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:04 pm Presuming, as you do here, that god could disallow it, why do you think he does not, but prefers to allow it?...
I believe it is because God loves all and has given freedom for everyone. But that people are free, does not mean all things are good, because God has said for example, "don't murder"...

Miles
Savant

Post #13

Post by Miles »

1213 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:58 pm
Miles wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:04 pm Presuming, as you do here, that god could disallow it, why do you think he does not, but prefers to allow it?...
I believe it is because God loves all and has given freedom for everyone. But that people are free, does not mean all things are good, because God has said for example, "don't murder"...
So why do churches flying Black Lives Matter and Gay Pride flags seem hateful towards conservative Christians and God?

Do you think liberal Christians feel God Guns & Trump signs seem hateful toward themselves and God?

......................... Image

Savant

Post #14

Post by 1213 »

Miles wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:23 pm So why do churches flying Black Lives Matter and Gay Pride flags seem hateful towards conservative Christians and God?
Because they despise God's word/teachings/will.
Miles wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:23 pmDo you think liberal Christians feel God Guns & Trump signs seem hateful toward themselves and God?
At the moment I don't see how that is hateful towards God.

brunumb
Savant

Post #15

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:42 pm
Miles wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:23 pm So why do churches flying Black Lives Matter and Gay Pride flags seem hateful towards conservative Christians and God?
Despise? Please supply support for that sweeping, absurd claim.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Savant

Post #16

Post by 1213 »

brunumb wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:55 pm
For example about the pride flags. God says in the Bible:

You shall not lie with a man, as with a woman. That is detestible.
Lev. 18:22

“God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.”
1 Pet. 5:5

And then they raise a flag proudly to church to celebrate the act that is detestible to God. In that way they show contempt to God, ecpecially if we notice that they have chosen the rainbow that was set as a sign for that God doesn't sent flood the same way as once. Now they seem to think they can do as much evil as they can and God will do nothing.

Tcg
Savant

Post #17

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:31 pm
brunumb wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:55 pm
For example about the pride flags. God says in the Bible:

You shall not lie with a man, as with a woman. That is detestible.
Lev. 18:22

“God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.”
1 Pet. 5:5

And then they raise a flag proudly to church to celebrate the act that is detestible to God. In that way they show contempt to God, ecpecially if we notice that they have chosen the rainbow that was set as a sign for that God doesn't sent flood the same way as once. Now they seem to think they can do as much evil as they can and God will do nothing.
Some Christians have realized that the injunctions against gays are based on outdated prejudices of the humans who penned those words. They've decided that these outdated prejudices don't reflect their values or those of God. It's similar to how in John 8 Jesus reportedly refused to support the stoning of a woman caught in adultery. He knew that the law demanded stoning, but he decided that it was based on an outdated mindset and rejected the command.

Churches are often very slow to change, but its nice to see progress in some.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

bluegreenearth
Guru

Post #18

Post by bluegreenearth »

[Replying to 1213 in post #16]

Is it your perspective that you and the majority of Christians who share your view should elect and support public officials who have the theocratic ambition to write and pass laws that will deny or limit equal rights to homosexuals? If this is not your perspective, then your interpretation of Leviticus 18:22 should be of no concern to anyone but yourself.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #19

Post by JoeyKnothead »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:23 pm ...
1213 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:30 pm Do you mean, why God allows church to fly Black Lives Matter and Pride flags? Both seem to be hateful towards conservative Christians and God.
Black Lives Matter is centered around the idea that quit gunning down black folks just for em the being it. The US has a long and storied history of oppression against black folks, and for right or wrong, they're getting quite fed up with it.

Pride flags are centered around the idea that gay folks are humans too. Deserving of all the rights and such as anyone.

I find only in primarily white evangelical christian circles do those two groups represent "hate" towards a group that has enslaved black folks, oppressed black and gay alike, killed em, slandered em, and just hated on that bunch, and have held their bibles up as a moral guide to justify it.

Here in the South, I've heard it told more'n once such as, "Black folks are a product of some dude sexing up some gorilla". Now, that might have absolutely no biblical basis, yet I only hear that from Christians (though moreso in my younger days, as the tide does seem to turn towards less vile language).

Here in the South, and really, across the globe, gay folks've been murdered and trampled on, and drug behind trucks, and all manner of such offensive, putrid displays of man's hatred of man. All because some book tells em their own fellow humans are worthy of death, just for the loving em someone. And worse, finding someone, anyone to love em back.

"They hate me cause I belong to a group that has traditionally hated em, oppressed em, killed em, and all such as that, and that ain't God's love" is likely it the single goofiest idea I've ever heard in all my born days.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Savant

Post #20

Post by 1213 »

Tcg wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:53 pm ...It's similar to how in John 8 Jesus reportedly refused to support the stoning of a woman caught in adultery. He knew that the law demanded stoning, but he decided that it was based on an outdated mindset and rejected the command.
It was not only Jesus who didn't judge, but all who were going to judge the woman. And Bible tells for judges:

Thus has Yahweh of Hosts spoken, saying, 'Execute true judgment, and show kindness and compassion every man to his brother.
Zechariah 7:9

It has alwasy been possible to be merciful. That does not mean that wrong things are not wrong anymore, why else Jesus would have said:

“Neither do I condemn you. Go your way. From now on, sin no more.”
John 8:11

Adultery is still wrong, and person would deserve death for it. But we can forgive.

Whoever's sins you forgive, they are forgiven them. Whoever's sins you retain, they have been retained."
John 20:23