Creator

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Creator

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Throughout this site (and, to a lesser extent, elsewhere), there's a lot of talk about a 'creator' (or 'Creator', if you want).
What is this, exactly?
One would assume, being on this site, it's typically God; the bearded magic man in the sky the bible speaks of, some would say.
Is this the case?
Is using the term 'creator' a way to really sneak in God, 'under the radar' - sort of like how Creationism and ID seems to be, to some?

If not, can all (believer and not) agree on the term 'creator' (or 'Creator') as nothing more than an ambiguous term of something that creates - not necessarily (G)god? Why or why not?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: Creator

Post #11

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Purple Knight wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:23 pm A creator also could be fairly unintelligent. If a celestial badger farted and it made our universe, he's still its creator, maker, whether he has any awareness of what he's made or not.

Actually I'm not so sure. Must creation be deliberate?

Some of my attempts at cooking are more like badgers farting than any sort of intelligent design, but I still come up with some interesting, and sometimes tasty, creations.

Absolutely (Do like your avatar by the way) and of course there was a shedload of alternatives to an Intelligent Creator such as Natural Forces Inc. upon which we have to give up as soon as we get past quantum foam, the Higgs -Boson and energised nothingness (which unlike the Creator without origin, we know are real), and then we have to say 'Don't know', which is the perfect gap for a god... Name your own.

brunumb
Savant

Post #12

Post by brunumb »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:59 am I had a chritian friend tell me once that he doesn't want prayer in public school. His reasoning was that they could pray 'to any god' and he only wanted prayer to go to the one, correct god (his God, of course).
Schools are places of teaching and learning. Prayers are all about massaging the ego of your chosen god. There is no place for prayers in schools unless they take the form "Dear God, please endow me with the necessary knowledge to answer all the questions on this test".
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

William
Savant

Post #13

Post by William »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

I use the expression in relation to the possibility that we exist within a Creation.

Sometimes I write The Creator and sometimes I write Creator(s) but always with a capital letter to denote its importance, just as when I use a capital letter when referring to people by name, in writing.

I seldom use the word "God" because this confuses people as they might think I am referring to the God of the bible, which - as has been noted - suffers from the religious imagery associated with the 'name' - since the word "God" has come to be associated as the biblical gods name.

I now generally write it as the Mind Behind Creation, [MBC] which I think better suits the idea of a Creator of said universe, since minds are immaterial things which can be seen to exist through interaction with material things which exist to be seen.

I find no logical reason for why any image has to be involved in relation to the immaterial mind. None of us know what a mind looks like - because it is immaterial.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #14

Post by JoeyKnothead »

brunumb wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:57 pm
nobspeople wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:59 am I had a chritian friend tell me once that he doesn't want prayer in public school. His reasoning was that they could pray 'to any god' and he only wanted prayer to go to the one, correct god (his God, of course).
Schools are places of teaching and learning. Prayers are all about massaging the ego of your chosen god.
There's more to it than that. They're also a way of stroking the ego of the one adoing it.

Beyond that, prayers are also a way of 'otherizing' folks who don't play along. I remember back when I was allowed in public, folks'd put up a great big fuss cause I wouldn't participate in Nascar prerace religious rituals. You wouldn't believe there was a god so frail it not only broke his heart, but the hearts of his devotees if ya wouldn't play along. "Faggot, remove your hat!" "Faggot, stand up when the preacher talks!"

There's a notion that folks need a sense of community, so I get that religious notions might work to bind em up. What I don't understand is how wearing a hat or sitting down magically makes someone a gay guy.
There is no place for prayers in schools unless they take the form "Dear God, please endow me with the necessary knowledge to answer all the questions on this test".
Lom4poc

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

brunumb
Savant

Post #15

Post by brunumb »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:14 pm Beyond that, prayers are also a way of 'otherizing' folks who don't play along. I remember back when I was allowed in public, folks'd put up a great big fuss cause I wouldn't participate in Nascar prerace religious rituals. You wouldn't believe there was a god so frail it not only broke his heart, but the hearts of his devotees if ya wouldn't play along. "Faggot, remove your hat!" "Faggot, stand up when the preacher talks!"
Most definitely! I was thinking that too but decided to leave it out of my post. My experience was similar to yours. Peer pressure at play through prayer.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.