Creator

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Creator

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Throughout this site (and, to a lesser extent, elsewhere), there's a lot of talk about a 'creator' (or 'Creator', if you want).
What is this, exactly?
One would assume, being on this site, it's typically God; the bearded magic man in the sky the bible speaks of, some would say.
Is this the case?
Is using the term 'creator' a way to really sneak in God, 'under the radar' - sort of like how Creationism and ID seems to be, to some?

If not, can all (believer and not) agree on the term 'creator' (or 'Creator') as nothing more than an ambiguous term of something that creates - not necessarily (G)god? Why or why not?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Miles
Savant

Re: Creator

Post #2

Post by Miles »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:31 am Throughout this site (and, to a lesser extent, elsewhere), there's a lot of talk about a 'creator' (or 'Creator', if you want).
What is this, exactly?
One would assume, being on this site, it's typically God; the bearded magic man in the sky the bible speaks of, some would say.
Is this the case?
Is using the term 'creator' a way to really sneak in God, 'under the radar' - sort of like how Creationism and ID seems to be, to some?

If not, can all (believer and not) agree on the term 'creator' (or 'Creator') as nothing more than an ambiguous term of something that creates - not necessarily (G)god? Why or why not?
On DC&R here I've almost always taken "creator' to mean god, particularly when capitalized, This is because hardly anyone here uses "creator" as an ambiguous term of something that creates, so I see no reason for adopting it. As for sneaking in God, "under the radar," while possible, I don't recall this ever happening. Image

Last edited by Miles on Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

WHY DO SOME ALTERNATE BETWEEN USING THE TERMS CREATOR AND USING THE TERM GOD?

The Creator is a term commonly used to refer to the intelligent maker of the Universe. God is a term usually used to refer to that which one worships. Sometimes it is worth distinguishing between the two terms depending on the focus of the exchange. In a discussion of the origins of the universe, for example, the focus is often on creative acts, irrespective of identity or worship (indeed there are those that recognise an intelligent Creator without feeling the need to worship that one or seek his identity).

JW

RELATED POSTS
Is Elohim YHWH (Jehovah) presented in scripture as a plural God?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 61#p866661

Which god is the true God?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 25#p960825

Why reject the pagan gods [sexual peverts] ?
viewtopic.php?p=991368#p991368

Were all ancient pagan gods MALE ?
viewtopic.php?p=1035087#p1035087

Does the bible acknowledge the existence of many gods?
viewtopic.php?p=903869#p903869

Why do some alternate between using the term "Creator" and using the term "GOD"?
viewtopic.php?p=1056172#p1056172
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

GOD ,GODS, and ... CREATION
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Savant

Post #4

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:31 am ...
Is this the case?...
I mean with Creator the God of the Bible. By what the Bible tells, God is a spirit.

God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.
John 4:24

That is love:

He who doesn't love doesn't know God, for God is love.
1 John 4:8

But, there is also another that could be called creator, all though he is more like the mediator, the image of God.

in whom we have our redemption, the forgiveness of our sins; who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by him were all things created, in the heavens and on the earth, things visible and things invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers; all things have been created through him, and for him.
Colossians 1:14-16

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:31 am Throughout this site (and, to a lesser extent, elsewhere), there's a lot of talk about a 'creator' (or 'Creator', if you want).
What is this, exactly?
Is this the case?

In another thread we are discussing the two different identifiers used in Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 to describe the creator. One creation version uses the ID "Elohim" the other uses "Yahweh Elohim." It seems that the question you are asking isn't a new one. Perhaps the term "creator" is used to hide this ambiguity.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #6

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Creator per se of course refers to an intelligent maker of the Cosmos our universe, earth and life. It doesn't have to be any particular god and indeed the Creationists (post the Dover/Kitzmiller ruling argued that they weren't saying that the Creator was the god of the Bible (though they believed it was. That said of course the generality of Theists I have engaged with assume, when arguing cosmic origins, a creator -god means the god of the Bible and seem to think that proving a cosmic creator validates the god of Christianity.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by nobspeople »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:37 am Creator per se of course refers to an intelligent maker of the Cosmos our universe, earth and life. It doesn't have to be any particular god and indeed the Creationists (post the Dover/Kitzmiller ruling argued that they weren't saying that the Creator was the god of the Bible (though they believed it was. That said of course the generality of Theists I have engaged with assume, when arguing cosmic origins, a creator -god means the god of the Bible and seem to think that proving a cosmic creator validates the god of Christianity.
I had a chritian friend tell me once that he doesn't want prayer in public school. His reasoning was that they could pray 'to any god' and he only wanted prayer to go to the one, correct god (his God, of course).
I wonder if more christians consider this thinking when using the 'creator' term: they want it to be their creator (aka God) but simply don't say it as such, instead relying on (what they think) is sly wording. Simply getting the idea of one supreme creator involved, then later, trying to assert that this 'one creator' is their god, nothing else.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #8

Post by TRANSPONDER »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:59 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:37 am Creator per se of course refers to an intelligent maker of the Cosmos our universe, earth and life. It doesn't have to be any particular god and indeed the Creationists (post the Dover/Kitzmiller ruling argued that they weren't saying that the Creator was the god of the Bible (though they believed it was. That said of course the generality of Theists I have engaged with assume, when arguing cosmic origins, a creator -god means the god of the Bible and seem to think that proving a cosmic creator validates the god of Christianity.
I had a chritian friend tell me once that he doesn't want prayer in public school. His reasoning was that they could pray 'to any god' and he only wanted prayer to go to the one, correct god (his God, of course).
I wonder if more christians consider this thinking when using the 'creator' term: they want it to be their creator (aka God) but simply don't say it as such, instead relying on (what they think) is sly wording. Simply getting the idea of one supreme creator involved, then later, trying to assert that this 'one creator' is their god, nothing else.

I don't know, Nobby. ;) I don't know their mind. But I'd guess we have divergent theology here. Theists generally seem to want prayer back in school and I suppose for various reasons:
(a) they know the Right Things re religion are being taught...I mean no Islam, communist Gay stuff or evilooshun.
(b) they can assume that such prayer is being addressed to the Right God - the God of The Bible, Abraham and Republican Politics.
(c) something like even if they pray in school to a non -specific Creator, there's on;y One True God listening.

All kidding aside, there is clearly a sort of In -place leap of Faith from the Creator to Biblegod so that no other alternatives are ever considered. I have raised the point and I've only ever heard 'It's all the same God'. 'Yes, but which one?' and once I had me referred to the Bible and the rest of the time they just vanished and popped up later making the same arguments.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by nobspeople »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:05 am
nobspeople wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:59 am

I don't know, Nobby. ;) I don't know their mind. But I'd guess we have divergent theology here. Theists generally seem to want prayer back in school and I suppose for various reasons:
(a) they know the Right Things re religion are being taught...I mean no Islam, communist Gay stuff or evilooshun.
(b) they can assume that such prayer is being addressed to the Right God - the God of The Bible, Abraham and Republican Politics.
(c) something like even if they pray in school to a non -specific Creator, there's on;y One True God listening.

All kidding aside, there is clearly a sort of In -place leap of Faith from the Creator to Biblegod so that no other alternatives are ever considered. I have raised the point and I've only ever heard 'It's all the same God'. 'Yes, but which one?' and once I had me referred to the Bible and the rest of the time they just vanished and popped up later making the same arguments.
Bolded section is all too common.
Seems if they're so 'right', they'd relish the challenge of proving themselves right (even in this very forum there's several dozen pages of trying to prove the resurrection as being fact - to no avail past looking foolish and showing how weak their faith is). And yet, there are many that shrink from such a challenge.
Such strong faith they have.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by Purple Knight »

A creator also could be fairly unintelligent. If a celestial badger farted and it made our universe, he's still its creator, maker, whether he has any awareness of what he's made or not.

Actually I'm not so sure. Must creation be deliberate?

Some of my attempts at cooking are more like badgers farting than any sort of intelligent design, but I still come up with some interesting, and sometimes tasty, creations.