Another Issue With the Flood Story - 120 years.

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

Another Issue With the Flood Story - 120 years.

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

Genesis 6:3 reads:
Then the Lord said, “My Spirit shall not abide in man forever, for he is flesh: his days shall be 120 years.”
And yet after the flood in Genesis 11 we find these individuals reportedly lived well past 120 years:

Shem: 600 years

Arpachshad: 438 years

Shelah: 433 years

Eber: 464 years

Peleg: 239 years

Reu: 239 years

Serug: 230 years

Nahor: 148 years

Terah: 205 years

How can one account for the reports of such long lives after God's proclamation in Genesis 6?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Re: Another Issue With the Flood Story - 120 years.

Post #41

Post by Tcg »

brunumb wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:58 am [Replying to Tcg in post #39]

I have been watching "Secrets of the Zoo" lately and when I think about what they have to cope with and compare it it with Noah's floating zoo I simply burst out laughing. That there are still people who believe that the biblical flood story is historical boggles my mind. It's rather sad really.
I agree and when I read that Noah was 600 years old when the flood started, I realize that alone reveals the absurdity of the tale. I've tried to find out what the story would mean if it was to be considered metaphorically and I find so many divergent interpretations that there is no way to make heads nor tails of it. It's not much more than a Rorschach test.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom