Another Circular Circular.

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

Another Circular Circular.

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

Apparently due to the pandemic, the JWs have taken to mailing out their circulars rather than knocking on doors and handing them out personally or leaving them in mailboxes if they get no answer. The latest I've gotten in the mail asks, "How do you view the future?" As is often the case, the first part refers to the Bible to answer the question on the cover and the second part purports to answer the question, "Can we really believe what the Bible says?" Oddly the second part contains a total of eight biblical references to support the claim that one can.

Does it make logical sense to accept the verses supporting the Bible as evidence the Bible should be believed?

Do some who receive this circular circular not notice its circular nature?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Another Circular Circular.

Post #11

Post by nobspeople »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:59 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:51 am Did the pamphlet come with a hand written letter?
Serious question...

Is there some kinda thing where these pamphlets should come with a hand written letter?

Just curious, I have no desire to debate either way.
How would one know if it's hand written or not? I see a lot of 'signatures' and it's seriously easy to promote a 'handwritten' letter when it's not. No one is above a lie if it suits their needs.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #12

Post by JehovahsWitness »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:59 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:51 am Did the pamphlet come with a hand written letter?
Serious question...

Is there some kinda thing where these pamphlets should come with a hand written letter?

Just curious, I have no desire to debate either way.
Not really, but we have been encouraged to write to people with a personal message if possible and personally I prefer handwriting as it shows I have taken the time to make the extra effort that requires.

JW

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES , CHRISTIANITY and ...RELIGIOUS TRUTH
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Tcg
Savant

Post #13

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:51 am
Did the pamflet come with a hand written letter?
The purpose of this thread is to examine the circular nature of this circular not to discuss what accompanied the circular circular.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

William
Savant

Post #14

Post by William »

When they have knocked on my door,they always offerred me the pamplet-booklet and I wAlways declined,since I don't read the bible much these days, I am even less likely to read some organizations interpretations of the bible.

Either way both end up as landfill...why would I want something like that?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #15

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:05 am
Tcg wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:47 am ..."Can we really believe what the Bible says?" Oddly the second part contains a total of eight biblical references to support the claim that one can.

Does it make logical sense to accept the verses supporting the Bible as evidence the Bible should be believed?

Do some who receive this circular circular not notice its circular nature?
I think it depends on what is said in the scriptures and what is claimed. If the scriptures would for example show unnatural knowledge, I think it would be evidence for that the message is from God and it could support the idea that it is really from God and Bible is correct.

But, maybe you can get in all issues only circular, regressive, or dogmatic arguments anyway.

“The circular argument, in which the proof of some proposition presupposes the truth of that very proposition
The regressive argument, in which each proof requires a further proof, ad infinitum
The dogmatic argument, which rests on accepted precepts which are merely asserted rather than defended”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BCnchhausen_trilemma

Well set out. Yes the free handouts re advert -like propaganda - points, harping on current worries and our inability to put them right. But worry not, folks, just buy new wonder Godfaith and everything will be put right....some time in the future. Just look at these prophecies!! Don't believe prophecies? Look how they came true! Tyre was never rebuilt. Babylon was never rebuilt. Jesus would be born in Bethlehem, Judas would fall and burst open. And it all actually came to pass. (color pic of a Christian believer with a martyred expression enduring the mockery of a lot of Orcs holding copies of Dawkins)

"They all laughed at Christopher Columbus; they all laughed at Wilbur and his brother., when they said the world was round. Don't worry if they laugh about God wanting You. You'll have the last laugh!! You'll be living in your heavenly mansion surrounded by dozens of young, beautiful .... angelic servants of God, watching those who laughed at you roasting to death eternally. Doesn't that sounds goooooeeed??"

I could write it myself and set it to music.

William
Savant

Post #16

Post by William »

[Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #15]
"They all laughed at Christopher Columbus; they all laughed at Wilbur and his brother., when they said the world was round. Don't worry if they laugh about God wanting You. You'll have the last laugh!! You'll be living in your heavenly mansion surrounded by dozens of young, beautiful .... angelic servants of God, watching those who laughed at you roasting to death eternally. Doesn't that sounds goooooeeed??"
The JWOrg does not support the idea that hell is a place where folk are punished to a roasting death for eternity.

If one is to point out the discrepancies as an honest to goodness warrior for all things truthful, one had best get ones story straight on every account, or ones blade will be found wanting...

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #17

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Good point but frankly JW's are a different argument. The majority of Christian apologists I have dealt with have always got some kind of Hellthreat to pull out of a waistcoat holder when they have emptied their polemical six -guns without effect.

That said, the arguments against the Bible and the claims of Christianity being credible are the same for JW's or any other Christians, before we even need to think of what kind of Punishment they predict is going to be dished out to the non -believers or wrong -believers.

Tcg
Savant

Post #18

Post by Tcg »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:27 pm Good point but frankly JW's are a different argument. The majority of Christian apologists I have dealt with have always got some kind of Hellthreat to pull out of a waistcoat holder when they have emptied their polemical six -guns without effect.

That said, the arguments against the Bible and the claims of Christianity being credible are the same for JW's or any other Christians, before we even need to think of what kind of Punishment they predict is going to be dished out to the non -believers or wrong -believers.
Indeed, the type of punishment JWs suggest is irrelevant given the circular nature of this circular. I also suspect that the punishment family members and friends of the target given this and other circulars will not be discussed until long after the mark falls for the claims of a rosy future. Notice that the title to the circular is not "Your unbelieving friends and family are destined for annihilation, would you like a better future?"

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #19

Post by TRANSPONDER »

But the nature of the beast is (as we often hear) 'cutting off' those who do not belong, even if they are family. That is the message we hear in the Gospels: 'Who is my family? The Cult is my family."

Tcg
Savant

Post #20

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #19]

Well sure. But those fishing for converts don't advertise this.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom