Another Circular Circular.

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

Another Circular Circular.

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

Apparently due to the pandemic, the JWs have taken to mailing out their circulars rather than knocking on doors and handing them out personally or leaving them in mailboxes if they get no answer. The latest I've gotten in the mail asks, "How do you view the future?" As is often the case, the first part refers to the Bible to answer the question on the cover and the second part purports to answer the question, "Can we really believe what the Bible says?" Oddly the second part contains a total of eight biblical references to support the claim that one can.

Does it make logical sense to accept the verses supporting the Bible as evidence the Bible should be believed?

Do some who receive this circular circular not notice its circular nature?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

benchwarmer
Guru

Re: Another Circular Circular.

Post #141

Post by benchwarmer »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:27 am Fair enough, I personally answer the door and engage with people that take time to call on me if its not inconvenient for me. If nothing else I might be an opportunity to help them if I believe I can. But everyoneis free to do as they want in a free society.

No harm no foul.
Yet there is a harm and a foul. If I'm trying to enjoy some quite time or concentrating on something and someone knocks on my door, you have just ruined my free time. Now I have to go to the door to see if someone needs my help, is delivering something for me, or is a friend who has popped in (the only valid reasons to be knocking on my door unless you are police/fire/etc). To find out it is someone trying to sell me something (including their belief system) is entirely frustrating and should be illegal.

As I've said previously, if I want to learn about some belief system, I'll find you. Please stop trespassing on my property and trying to peddle your wares. This goes for cold calls on the phone as well. If you are trying to sell me something, scam me, etc. this should be illegal and is not welcome. Same harm and foul as above.

If JW have moved to using stands, that's perfect. Set up your display of circular circulars and those who are interested and unaware can come talk to you. Please stop the unwelcome trespassing on the rest of our properties and time.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #142

Post by JehovahsWitness »

benchwarmer wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:50 am

Yet there is a harm and a foul. If I'm trying to enjoy some quite time or concentrating on something and someone knocks on my door, you have just ruined my free time.
Yes well being disturbed by someone knocking on ones door is the price one has to pay if one lives in a free society but not with restricted access to the door in question. Laws vary, but a "No trespassing" sign at the end of your path should suffice to stop someone knocking at your door.

In most countries one can be "red listed" to avoid receiving cold calls (which as I said are not legal in all countries).

If you find all of the above overly traumatic you can either move home, migtate to a country without a constitution that guarantees freedom of movement and expression or lobby your congressmen to change the law.

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Tcg
Savant

Post #143

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:12 am
Tcg wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:04 am
You do realize the difference between phone calls and letters?

Yes, I do; my mistake, sorry.
Which doesn't address this recommendation:
Tcg wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:10 am
Care to at least attempt to address the facts presented rather than chopping them up?

Tcg

HOW EXTENSIVE ARE JEHOVAH'S WITNESS TELEPHONE CAMPAIGNS?

Telephoning private homes of people one does not know is restricted by law in many countries. Preaching by telephone would be subject to the same contraints as letter writing ie. customs, availability, cost ect. In the United Kingdom, for example this activity has only just been approved by the Jehovah's Witness leadership, while in France (my country of residence) it has long been a feature of our ministry.
A feature huh? That's an interesting euphemism.

No matter how the message is being foisted, no doubt it will include the same logical fallacies and unverifiable claims.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #144

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:22 am
In most countries one can be "red listed" to avoid receiving cold calls...

JW
I wish it were that simple. I've been on such a list for years and yet still get annoying SPAM calls of all kinds. It's a problem that grows worse day after day. Some who wish to SPAM others will simply ignore the law and common decency.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #145

Tcg wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:34 am

JW
I wish it were that simple. I've been on such a list for years and yet still get annoying SPAM calls of all kinds. It's a problem that grows worse day after day.

Tcg

I feel your pain, I hate SPAM myself.
Tcg wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:34 am Some who wish to SPAM others will simply ignore the law and common decency.

Sad but true. We believe one day all crime and suffering it causes will come to an end.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Tcg
Savant

Post #146

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:44 am
Tcg wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:34 am

JW
I wish it were that simple. I've been on such a list for years and yet still get annoying SPAM calls of all kinds. It's a problem that grows worse day after day.

Tcg

I feel your pain, I hate SPAM myself.
Do you use cold calling as a "feature" of your ministry campaign?
Tcg wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:34 am Some who wish to SPAM others will simply ignore the law and common decency.
Sad but true. We believe one day all crime and suffering it causes will come to an end.
I'm sure you do. Can you provide any verifiable evidence that this will actually happen?

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #147

Post by benchwarmer »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:22 am Yes well being disturbed by someone knocking on ones door is the price one has to pay if one lives in a free society but not with restricted access to the door in question. Laws vary, but a "No trespassing" sign at the end of your path should suffice to stop someone knocking at your door.
You are missing the point. I shouldn't have to go out of my way and start posting signage. Those who preach love should understand that it is inconsiderate to knock on someone's door uninvited unless they are a friend and/or have a valid reason for doing so. Trying to sell one's belief system is not a valid reason.
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:22 am In most countries one can be "red listed" to avoid receiving cold calls (which as I said are not legal in all countries).
Already done. Still get spam calls. Do you think people trying to make a buck or push an agenda really care about such lists? They simply route their calls through a call center in some foreign country and fake their caller ID. They know full well the calls are largely unwelcome, but do it anyway because there are always a few people willing to listen or too polite to hang up on callers.
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:22 am If you find all of the above overly traumatic you can either move home, migtate to a country without a constitution that guarantees freedom of movement and expression or lobby your congressmen to change the law.
Or I can simply ask people like yourself who belong to organizations that practice these tactics to please consider how rude, intrusive, and unwelcome these practices are. As people preaching love, one would think they would understand and immediately stop and use other methods (like setting up a circular circular stand and simply being available to chat).

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #148

Post by nobspeople »

benchwarmer wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:09 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:22 am Yes well being disturbed by someone knocking on ones door is the price one has to pay if one lives in a free society but not with restricted access to the door in question. Laws vary, but a "No trespassing" sign at the end of your path should suffice to stop someone knocking at your door.
You are missing the point. I shouldn't have to go out of my way and start posting signage. Those who preach love should understand that it is inconsiderate to knock on someone's door uninvited unless they are a friend and/or have a valid reason for doing so. Trying to sell one's belief system is not a valid reason.
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:22 am In most countries one can be "red listed" to avoid receiving cold calls (which as I said are not legal in all countries).
Already done. Still get spam calls. Do you think people trying to make a buck or push an agenda really care about such lists? They simply route their calls through a call center in some foreign country and fake their caller ID. They know full well the calls are largely unwelcome, but do it anyway because there are always a few people willing to listen or too polite to hang up on callers.
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:22 am If you find all of the above overly traumatic you can either move home, migtate to a country without a constitution that guarantees freedom of movement and expression or lobby your congressmen to change the law.
Or I can simply ask people like yourself who belong to organizations that practice these tactics to please consider how rude, intrusive, and unwelcome these practices are. As people preaching love, one would think they would understand and immediately stop and use other methods (like setting up a circular circular stand and simply being available to chat).
Love, consideration, manners, understanding... all take a back seat to 'recruiting'. It's either breeding or recruiting - after all, it's nothing but a numbers game for many.
For the rest, they're blinded by the robotic need to appease their master and do his bidding.
Dogs like pittbulls get a bad rap when they and others like them could be the best means to keep these people from one's property: oft times the threat of a strong bite one ups the need to 'recruit'.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #149

Post by JoeyKnothead »

benchwarmer wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:09 pm You are missing the point. I shouldn't have to go out of my way and start posting signage. Those who preach love should understand that it is inconsiderate to knock on someone's door uninvited unless they are a friend and/or have a valid reason for doing so. Trying to sell one's belief system is not a valid reason.
The gall it takes to fetch over to some stranger's house, just to tell em you're there to teach em how to live to save their soul just irks me no end.

Eskimo: If I didn't know about God and sin, would I go to Hell?
Priest: No, not if you didn't know.
Eskimo: Then why'd you tell me?
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #150

Tcg wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:54 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:44 am

... We believe one day all crime and suffering it causes will come to an end.
I'm sure you do. Can you provide any verifiable evidence that this will actually happen?

Tcg

I did say belief, "belief" I was expressing a faith based belief based on the contents of the bible.

NOTE All posts I write represent my personal faith based beliefs as one of Jehovah's Witnesses