Another Circular Circular.

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

Another Circular Circular.

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

Apparently due to the pandemic, the JWs have taken to mailing out their circulars rather than knocking on doors and handing them out personally or leaving them in mailboxes if they get no answer. The latest I've gotten in the mail asks, "How do you view the future?" As is often the case, the first part refers to the Bible to answer the question on the cover and the second part purports to answer the question, "Can we really believe what the Bible says?" Oddly the second part contains a total of eight biblical references to support the claim that one can.

Does it make logical sense to accept the verses supporting the Bible as evidence the Bible should be believed?

Do some who receive this circular circular not notice its circular nature?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Re: Another Circular Circular.

Post #101

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

Tcg wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:18 pm
Nope. Simply looking out for the welfare of fellow humans.
Oh, are you?
Some will fall for circular arguments like the one found is this circular without noticing they are based on a logical fallacy.

Tcg

LOL.

This reminds me of Walmarts Loss Prevention department.

While they are so busy attempting to track and prevent theft by customers, less effort is placed on the prevention of theft by EMPLOYEES.

How about placing some energy in pinpointing and calling out the logic fallacies of your peers/colleagues?
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

Tcg
Savant

Post #102

Post by Tcg »

We_Are_VENOM wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:28 pm
Tcg wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:18 pm
Nope. Simply looking out for the welfare of fellow humans.
Oh, are you?
Indeed I am.
Some will fall for circular arguments like the one found is this circular without noticing they are based on a logical fallacy.

Tcg
How about placing some energy in pinpointing and calling out the logic fallacies of your peers/colleagues?
I've got my hands full with those theists present. As has been documented in this thread, some theists go door to door handing out circular circulars, some mail out circular circulars, and some even take to cold calling on the phone. It's quite a massive campaign to deal with.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #103

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

Tcg wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:09 am
I've got my hands full with those theists present. As has been documented in this thread, some theists go door to door handing out circular circulars, some mail out circular circulars, and some even take to cold calling on the phone. It's quite a massive campaign to deal with.

Tcg
It is indeed a massive campaign to deal with. Correcting JW's on their follies is a full time job/commitment in itself.

Not to mention other false religions and cults that I have to deal with, and also not including atheists/agnostics as well.

Like Jesus said; the work is plenty, but the workers are few.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

Tcg
Savant

Post #104

Post by Tcg »

We_Are_VENOM wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:17 am
Tcg wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:09 am

Tcg
It is indeed a massive campaign to deal with. Correcting JW's on their follies is a full time job/commitment in itself.
The JWs are not the only ones who participate in the campaign.

I'm sure if we searched hard enough, we could even find some that preach against "easy believism." Oh, here we go.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #105

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Tcg wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:36 amThe JWs are not the only ones who participate in the campaign.
I think its common knowledge that evangelization is considered part of the Christian calling. Jesus is reported to have commission his followers to preach his message worldwide and distributing printing literature is viewed as just one of the means of delivering that message by almost all Christian groups.

source: https://www.jw.org/en/library/books/?start=60

That Jehovahs Witness are arguably the most known for their public Witnessing is not to say they are the ONLY ones that do it.

RELATED POSTS
Is it illegal to put a pamphlet through a door?
viewtopic.php?p=1059257#p1059257

Where can I download Jehovahs Witness literature [pamphlets and books] for free?
viewtopic.php?p=1058426#p1058426

Have Jehovahs Witnesses been instructed to respect mailing regulations?
viewtopic.php?p=1059258#p1059258

Have Jehovah's Witnesses suspended their door-to-door outreach work?
viewtopic.php?p=1056892#p1056892

What is The Watchtower magazine?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 23#p826023

What can be read in Jehovahs Witness pamphlet T-31 [How do you view the future] ?[/b]
viewtopic.php?p=1012971#p1012971
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

"PANDEMIC" PREACHING, LETTER WRITING and ... JW's LEAFLET DISTRIBUTION
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:00 am, edited 6 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Tcg
Savant

Post #106

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:14 am
That Jehovahs Witness are arguably the most known for their public Witnessing is not to say they are the ONLY ones that do it.
I've never had a JW approach me on the street. In New York City, I used to run in to members of this group quite a bit:
The Family International (TFI) is a Christian New Religious Movement that has been criticized as an authoritarian cult[1][2] and was founded in Huntington Beach, California, US in 1968 by David Berg. Originally named Teens for Christ, it has gone under a number of different names. It gained notoriety as The Children of God (COG). It was later renamed and reorganized as The Family of Love (1978–1981), which was eventually shortened to The Family. As of 2004 it goes by The Family International.

Former members have accused the group of child sexual abuse, physical abuse, exploitation,[3] the targeting of vulnerable people,[4] and creating lasting trauma among children raised in the group.[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Family_International
When River Phoenix was a child, his family was a member of this group when it was known as The Children of God (COG).

They used to hand out pastel-colored tracts too. Anyone who is familiar with this group's practice of "flirty fishing" will have a good idea of the content of their tracts.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #107

Post by benchwarmer »

Tcg wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:29 pm I've never had a JW approach me on the street.
I have, though technically I was in a parking lot attempting to enjoy my lunch I just picked up in a drive thru. There I was, sitting in my truck, window open enjoying the afternoon breeze and chowing down what was likely an unhealthy burger.

All of a sudden an older lady approaches my window and asks me about one of their beliefs (I can't remember what it was about exactly, one of the usual JW lines though). Good grief, how impolite can a person be. If I want to inquire about some belief system, I'll find YOU. Randomly accosting people and expecting to land a convert is ridiculous. It must work every so often though because they keep doing it.

It would be a whole lot more fun now that I'm actually versed in the various ins and outs of Christianity (this happened before I really got involved more heavily with Christianity). I wonder what tired apologetic they would trot out if I could get them out of the circular model of pointing at their Bible. Or how many times they would go around in the same circle as they tried to explain the tract they were trying to hand me.

I know many of these people mean well, but I think they really need to stop and think about how they would feel if someone randomly walked up to them and tried to convince them that their lives hang in the balance if they don't believe in Bob the unicorn.

Tcg wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:29 pm They used to hand out pastel-colored tracts too. Anyone who is familiar with this group's practice of "flirty fishing" will have a good idea of the content of their tracts.
Ok, I've never heard of "flirty fishing" before. One has to wonder about the depravity of some people to come up with ways to lure people into their religions. I guess when power and money are at the end of the rainbow for the people at the top, everything is fair game.

Tcg
Savant

Post #108

Post by Tcg »

benchwarmer wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:57 pm
Tcg wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:29 pm I've never had a JW approach me on the street.
I have, though technically I was in a parking lot attempting to enjoy my lunch I just picked up in a drive thru. There I was, sitting in my truck, window open enjoying the afternoon breeze and chowing down what was likely an unhealthy burger.

All of a sudden an older lady approaches my window and asks me about one of their beliefs (I can't remember what it was about exactly, one of the usual JW lines though). Good grief, how impolite can a person be. If I want to inquire about some belief system, I'll find YOU. Randomly accosting people and expecting to land a convert is ridiculous. It must work every so often though because they keep doing it.

It would be a whole lot more fun now that I'm actually versed in the various ins and outs of Christianity (this happened before I really got involved more heavily with Christianity). I wonder what tired apologetic they would trot out if I could get them out of the circular model of pointing at their Bible. Or how many times they would go around in the same circle as they tried to explain the tract they were trying to hand me.

I know many of these people mean well, but I think they really need to stop and think about how they would feel if someone randomly walked up to them and tried to convince them that their lives hang in the balance if they don't believe in Bob the unicorn.
I've had similar experiences with other groups, and it can indeed be quite unpleasant. From what I understand, the JWs think we are in the last days although that has been true ever since their formation in the late 1800's. This is in part what causes them to use the witnessing drives they consider so important. Gotta get those last few souls I suppose before the whistle blows
Tcg wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:29 pm They used to hand out pastel-colored tracts too. Anyone who is familiar with this group's practice of "flirty fishing" will have a good idea of the content of their tracts.
Ok, I've never heard of "flirty fishing" before. One has to wonder about the depravity of some people to come up with ways to lure people into their religions. I guess when power and money are at the end of the rainbow for the people at the top, everything is fair game.
In spite of the title, it goes well beyond flirting. It's basically using sex to attract converts which is described as God's love. The group is infamous for sexual abuse amongst its members particularly children. I suspect this is what drove the many name changes. Trying to flee a very disgusting reputation.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

William
Savant

Post #109

Post by William »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #105]
I think its common knowledge that evangelization is considered part of the Christian calling. Jesus is reported to have commission his followers to preach his message worldwide and printing literature is viewed as just one of the means of delivering that message by almost all Christian groups.
Starting with the bible of course.

I myself see Christianity as something which was most likely created by Romans and Greeks in an effort to hijack another cultures religious belief and make it their own.

That is why the Christian script contains ideas to do with Father-God figures, the need for gods to look like humans, the need for gods to be sacrificed on behalf of humans, the need for images of gods to be worshiped, the need for opposing gods to be able to stuff up plans of other gods...the list goes on.

If I am correct about this, then the JWOrg is really an instrument of Roman/Greek ideas of god, rather than the Hebrew idea of "Jehovah".

That is also why I engage with listening to what Rabbis and the Hebrew language have to say when it comes to things to do with what the Christians refer to as 'The Old Testament" because it removes all the Roman/Greek overtones, giving a more pure rendering of the meaning the Hebrew Culture has on any particular word written in their holy books.

When I want to know something about a culture, I ask those within that culture, not those without.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #110

Post by TRANSPONDER »

I don't see it quite like that. If that is a deliberate policy to Hi- jack existing religions. I see the Hebrew god as just like the Middle-Eastern tribal gods, but with an advantage - laws to keep them separate. Laws that Paul sidelined to make the Judean God a Hellenistic one, with the Jesus -figure turned into a Greek demi- god to keep up with the religions of Isis and Mithras. And Christianity had the popular appeal and probably the appeal of apparent historicity. I see it half as a lucky combination and half as inevitable development (evolution 8-) ) of the religion.

As to JW door -knocking, that was a real pain and religions (not to say Cults) feverishly competing for custom was a real problem in the 60s - 80s. The only time I got a street(rather than doorstep) approach (apart from moonies, who were primarily a marketing group) was a couple of Mormons a year or so before the Plague cleared the streets even of the street evangelists. The JWs did have a street stall in my town but they didn't leap on passers - by.