Another Circular Circular.

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

Another Circular Circular.

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

Apparently due to the pandemic, the JWs have taken to mailing out their circulars rather than knocking on doors and handing them out personally or leaving them in mailboxes if they get no answer. The latest I've gotten in the mail asks, "How do you view the future?" As is often the case, the first part refers to the Bible to answer the question on the cover and the second part purports to answer the question, "Can we really believe what the Bible says?" Oddly the second part contains a total of eight biblical references to support the claim that one can.

Does it make logical sense to accept the verses supporting the Bible as evidence the Bible should be believed?

Do some who receive this circular circular not notice its circular nature?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Re: Another Circular Circular.

Post #71

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:07 am

PSALMS 37: 1O, 11*

Here's a bit of advice when referring to Psalms. The complete work is of course a collection of Psalms, but when one refers to a single Psalm, as you have done, the proper form is to use the singular. To state PSLAMS 37: 10, 11 is like saying my favorite songs is "Running With the Devil."

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #72

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:34 am
Thank you. We dont just use that verse in telephone witnessing but also in out letter writing campaigns, which is why I originally asked you if the pamphlet was accompagned by a hand written letter.
As I've already pointed out this thread is about the circular nature of the circular I received in the mail. What may or may have not accompanied it is irrelevant to the fact that it is circular.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #73

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Tcg wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:40 am.... the proper form is to use the singular.
Thank you, I'll try and keep that in mind.

Anyway, when writing Jehovahs Witnesses try and highlight the bible and its message.

RELATED POSTS

How can I contact Jehovah's Witnesses ?
viewtopic.php?p=1058289#p1058289

What is jw.org?
viewtopic.php?p=1013799#p1013799
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Tcg
Savant

Post #74

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:50 am
Tcg wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:40 am.... the proper form is to use the singular.
Thank you, I'll try and keep that in mind.

Anyway, when writing Jehovahs Witnesses try and highlight the bible and its message.
I'd suggest you notify whichever branch of the JWs are responsible for this printing. They should correct the flawed use of the plural when referring to one song/poem assuming of course that accuracy is a concern.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #75

Tcg wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:57 am
I'd suggest you notify whichever branch of the JWs are responsible for this printing.
An excellent suggestion!

HOW TO CONTACT JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES

Anyone wishing to contact Jehovahs Witnessess to give advise on printing or to make an enquiry can find the relevant contact information on the official JW website www.jw.org

source : https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesse ... ed-states/

The Jehovah's Witness World HEADQUARTERS are in the United States.
900 Red Mills Road
WALLKILL NY 12589-3223
UNITED STATES

+1 845-744-6000
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES , CHRISTIANITY and ...RELIGIOUS TRUTH

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Tcg
Savant

Post #76

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:09 am
I'd suggest you notify whichever branch of the JWs are responsible for this printing.
An excellent suggestion!
It's obviously not one that results in much needed correction. If this avenue hasn't resulted in the correction of an obvious failure to comprehend the difference between singular and plural, how could one expect it to result in the correction of the circular nature of this circular?

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #77

Tcg wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:26 am
It's obviously not one that results in much needed correction.
Tcg wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:40 am
Here's a bit of advice when referring to Psalms. The complete work is of course a collection of Psalms, but when one refers to a single Psalm, as you have done, the proper form is to use the singular. To state PSLAMS 37: 10, 11 is like saying my favorite songs is "Running With the Devil."

How can you know if your suggestion will result in changes or not ?
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:09 am
HOW TO CONTACT JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES

Anyone wishing to contact Jehovahs Witnessess to give advise on printing or to make an enquiry can find the relevant contact information on the official JW website www.jw.org

source : https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesse ... ed-states/

The Jehovah's Witness World HEADQUARTERS are in the United States.
900 Red Mills Road
WALLKILL NY 12589-3223
UNITED STATES

+1 845-744-6000
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES , CHRISTIANITY and ...RELIGIOUS TRUTH

Tcg
Savant

Post #78

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:34 am
Have you contacted the publishers about references to the Psalms?
Have you contacted the publishers about the obvious confusion in their references to the Psalms plural when referring to a Psalm singular?

Have you contacted the publishers about the circular nature of this circular circular?

If so, what changes have resulted in your contact?

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #79

Tcg wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:40 am
Have you contacted the publishers about the obvious confusion in their references to the Psalms plural when referring to a Psalm singular?
No, I have yet to be shown any evidence the publishers Jehovah's Witness literature have made the "error" you speak about. Do you have an example from the official website to show me?

Tcg
Savant

Post #80

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:45 am
Tcg wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:40 am
No, I have yet to be shown any evidence the publishers Jehovah's Witness literature have made the "error" you speak about. Do you have an example from the official website to show me?
You've presented it for us or are you suggesting that the plural "Psalms" is the proper descriptor for the singular "Psalm?"

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom