Is atheism lacking?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

historia
Prodigy

Is atheism lacking?

Post #1

Post by historia »

This is an oft made point on this forum, but one I want to explore in a bit more depth:
Tcg wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:37 pm
We_Are_VENOM wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:23 pm
If you don't believe that God exists, then that itself is a belief.
I lack belief in god/gods. Lack of belief is quite clearly not a belief.
I think we can all appreciate the case where a person might be ignorant of a particular topic and thus have no beliefs about it. That seems straight-forward.

But, if a person previously believed in X but now no longer believes in X, while spending time on an online forum debating X, it seems less straight-forward (to me anyway) to say that they simply "lack" belief in X. Even if that person is merely contending that there is insufficient evidence (for them, at least) to believe in X, surely we must conclude that constitutes a belief about X.

Question for debate: Is it accurate to say that atheists debating the existence of God on an online forum lack belief in God (or gods), or is there a more accurate way to describe their beliefs vis-a-vis God (or gods)?

William
Savant

Re: Is atheism lacking?

Post #71

Post by William »

[Replying to Bust Nak in post #69]
Take it up with 2ndpillar2, he was the one who presented the claim that an atheist is one who denies the existence of a deity or of divine beings.
Even so, your retort did nothing to clear up that confusion, which is the point I am making re the claims folk make as to what makes an atheist an atheist. Presently the answer to that question appears to be unclear.
Consider the vast number of atheists in East Asia or secular Europe who just go about their life without caring about such things.
Yes. I would refer to such as essentially atheists, because I would expect such behavior form those who simply lack belief in gods
They absolutely do exist.
Indeed, perhaps they do. Perhaps they absolutely are the very example of what an atheist actually is.
Their lack of care...

They do not lack care - they lack belief in gods. Folk who lack care, can be non-theists or theists
...does not stop them from be any less atheistic than active anti-theists debating here.
I certainly am not arguing that.

I am arguing that they are actually being atheists because lacking belief in gods is not a position of activity but of lacking.

If anything they are MORE atheistic than active non-theists/anti-theists, which is what the OP topic appears to be examining.
Non-theism sounds like just another term for atheism, what's the difference?
It describes folk who are active in giving argument for why they lack belief in gods.
What exactly is anti-theism? Being antagonistic towards theism? I would call myself that, but that still doesn't mean I affirm the non-existence of god(s).
To affirm something is to state emphatically or publicly. Atheists who quietly get on with their lives unperturbed by theism, appear to be displaying 'what an atheist is' whereas active non-theist/anti theists take their lack of belief in gods, a step or two further... but do not acknowledge this as being the case, thus confusion arises as a result of that lack of acknowledgment.
If that is the case then why call oneself an atheist and add confusion to the mix if [in reality] one is a non-theist or an anti-theist?
Those are somewhat uncommon terms, surely that's adding more confusion than the simple theist/atheist dichotomy.
Does it confuse you?

Just as there are 'types' of theists [you acknowledge that don't you?] there are also types of atheists. What is so 'confusing' that uncommon terms should not be created in order to acknowledge the reality? Why resist such terms if they can help clarify where the source of confusion appears to lie?
Unless one is unsure. One is unsure if gods are unknowable. One is unsure if gods are knowable.
Then they are not even sure if they are agnostic.
How did you reach that conclusion?
They shouldn't be labelled agnostic.
Why not? If they are unsure whether gods exist or not, that is what the label 'agnostic' signifies.
Do you know any folk calling themselves atheists or theists who say the are not sure whether gods exist or not?
Yeah, I do. Let me say it: I am not sure whether gods exist or not.
Then why behave contrary to that position? Is it a case that you are in two minds and sometimes you are unsure and other times you are being anti-theist, implying that you are sure?
Because they are different positions. One is neutral and the others are positive/negative.
Why this and not "one is neutral, one is positive, and one is not positive (encompass both neutral and negative)?
Because theist and non theist positions can be expressed positively and negatively.
When someone antagonistic is against theism or anti-theism, they are being negative.

Agnosticism is neither positive or negative but remains neutral, in the "I don't know" position. Positive and negative expression implies one does know - at least enough to attack or defend said positions.

Agnosticism cannot be attacked and need not be defended.
You are both neutral and positive?

You are both 'not sure' and 'sure'?
I am both neutral and not positive.
You are both neutral and negative?

How is that a real position? It is not a real position and thus, why confusion comes into play.

Unless what you are meaning is that some times you are neutral and other times you are negative...then you are switching position depending on whatever motivates you to do so at the time you do so.
I am not sure of some things - whether gods exist;
You are therefore Agnostic...unless you are sure gods don't exist. Since you don't have 'or not', at the end of your statement, it leaves room for doubt and confusion to come into play.

Would you say that you are not sure whether gods exist or not?
I am sure on other things - theistic arguments are faulty.
Is that some, or all theistic arguments are faulty?

[How can you be sure that is the case, if you are not sure whether gods exist? {or not}]

One can hold the neutral position of Agnostic [being not sure whether gods exist or not] and find fault in theistic arguments, even without resorting to being anti-theist.

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #72

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

Bust Nak wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:58 am
2ndpillar2 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:10 am ... An atheist is one who denies the existence of a deity or of divine beings...
Then most theists are also atheists, as they too, denies the existence of many a deities, examples of denied deities includes Thor, Amaterasu, Zeus or Quetzalcoatl.
An atheist, and or Marxist, is a believer in a certain position, and acts religiously to promote such a notion. Such as going on a forum and defending their beliefs/non beliefs.
What about the atheists who don't promote atheism? I often promote moral subjectivism here, does that make moral subjectivism part of atheism? Obviously not, so I don't see what we promote has to do with what atheism is.
Your moral subjectivism, is simply a theist position, with you being the god, and a false god, at that.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #73

Post by TRANSPONDER »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:10 am
Bust Nak wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:29 am
historia wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:02 pm I think it's always better to use a standard dictionary, like Merriam Webster: disbelieve means "to hold not worthy of belief," "to withhold or reject belief."

I think that more accurately describes the debating atheist's position than saying they simply "lack" belief, as the latter (purposefully?) suggests a neutral or passive position.
That's the point, atheism IS the neutral or passive position. Whatever an individual debating atheist's position is, doesn't affect what atheism is defined to be. And the reason why we insist on this definition, is that theists had consistently tried to shift the burden of proof onto atheists to disprove god(s). While I am here talking about burden of proof, what an individual beliefs are, need not be the same thing as his debating position. An atheist who actively believe that there are no gods, still don't have the burden of proof to disprove god(s), as long as he keep that belief to himself. Only claims have burden of proof.

The central question of this thread is, if one don't believe that God exists, is that a belief? The answer is clearly no. Babies don't believe that God exists, that's about as neutral or passive as it gets, they don't believe much of anything. While many atheists do actively believe there are no gods, believing there are no gods, and not believing there are gods are clearly different position.
Agnostic definition:
An agnostic is one who believes it impossible to know anything about God or about the creation of the universe and refrains from commitment to any religious doctrine. An atheist is one who denies the existence of a deity or of divine beings. Infidel means an unbeliever, especially a nonbeliever in Islam or Christianity.

An atheist, and or Marxist, is a believer in a certain position, and acts religiously to promote such a notion. Such as going on a forum and defending their beliefs/non beliefs.
As I said earlier, atheism is very simple. Not believing in any gods. This is the same whether nobody claimed the existence of gods to them or they did claim the existence of gods and the other person did not beleive them. Still atheism, and why is beside the point. Just as is what the believer or non -believer does about it. An atheist is an atheist whether they sit quietly at home and read poetry or come on line and debate about it. Just, I'm sure you will see, a theist or God -believer is a theist or god -believer whether they sit at home and read the Quran or come on this forum and argue for their belief.

Some people (not just theists) get very confused and think that 'agnosticism' is a reasonable position of not being dogmatic about the non - existence of gods while atheists are dogmatically denialist about it and loudmouthed, too. But agnosticism (and I wish I had a dollar for every time I've had to say it) is not knowing whether there is a god or not (I don't care for the plonking assertion that it is impossible to know, because that's claiming to know about what one does not know) and not knowing whether there is a god or not (agnosticism) logically mandates not believing in any god -claim unless one does know (read: has persuasive evidence for it). That is all that atheism is. And whether one becomes active about it or not is irrelevant. Just as it is irrelevant whether a God -believer becomes evangelical or not.

Incidentally. I'm pleased to see that Websters has updated its' definition of atheism fr.om the Theist -usage of 'Rejecting or denying God' (theist apologists in the old days used to cite the Websters' definition as Authority) to what atheism actually is.

The rejection of specific gods based on Holy Books is a different claim with different evidence (though theists often think that Cosmic origins proves the god of the Bible). The rejection of the Bible as unsound implies rejection of that god -claim and the incoherence and logical invalidity of the god of the Bible (e.g a perfectly good god that does great evil) occasions denial that such a god is logically possible, so there's denial of a sort there, but that still leaves the sortagod -claim as a separate claim.

Yes, atheism itself is simple, but confusion caused by the popular misrepresentations of atheism going about can lead to it looking very complicated.

William
Savant

Post #74

Post by William »

[Replying to 2ndpillar2 in post #72]

Your moral subjectivism, is simply a theist position, with you being the god, and a false god, at that. :?:

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #75

Post by TRANSPONDER »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:05 pm
Bust Nak wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:58 am
2ndpillar2 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:10 am ... An atheist is one who denies the existence of a deity or of divine beings...
Then most theists are also atheists, as they too, denies the existence of many a deities, examples of denied deities includes Thor, Amaterasu, Zeus or Quetzalcoatl.
What about the atheists who don't promote atheism? I often promote moral subjectivism here, does that make moral subjectivism part of atheism? Obviously not, so I don't see what we promote has to do with what atheism is.
Your moral subjectivism, is simply a theist position, with you being the god, and a false god, at that.
That's a definition -mess and a false one as well. Since a poster is a real entity and you call such a person 'a god' clearly it exists and therefore cannot be false. But we can surely translate what you mean.

"Your moral subjectivism, is simply a theist position, with you being the god, and a false god, at that."

"Your atheism based views are Faith -based beliefs, and wrong ones, too".

Obviously just denialist muck -slinging but the muck was beautifully gift -wrapped, I have to say.

William
Savant

Post #76

Post by William »

[Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #73]
Agnosticism is not knowing whether there is a god or not
Nope.
Agnosticism is not knowing either way whether there are gods or not and remaining open minded regarding that, while following along with the arguments from non-theist and theist positions alike.
Agnosticism itself is simple, but confusion caused by the popular misrepresentations of Agnosticism going about can lead to it looking very complicated.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #77

Post by Bust Nak »

William wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:58 pm Even so, your retort did nothing to clear up that confusion, which is the point I am making re the claims folk make as to what makes an atheist an atheist. Presently the answer to that question appears to be unclear.
It's clear if you stick to this definition or definitions alone the same line, this is what makes an atheist: anyone who does not affirm the existence of god(s).
They do not lack care - they lack belief in gods. Folk who lack care, can be non-theists or theists
If that's what makes an "essentially atheists," then I am essentially an atheist given that I also lack beliefs in gods, same as those Asian/European I mentioned. I differ from them, not because of this essential feature, but how because I care enough to debate theists.
I am arguing that they are actually being atheists because lacking belief in gods is not a position of activity but of lacking.

If anything they are MORE atheistic than active non-theists/anti-theists, which is what the OP topic appears to be examining.
Okay, how do you propose we measure the level of atheistic-ness?
I proposed a simple binary yes, no. As per my first point in this post. What advantage does your proposal have?
It describes folk who are active in giving argument for why they lack belief in gods.
Then according to this, I am a non-theist.
To affirm something is to state emphatically or publicly.
According to this, I am also an anti-theist.
Atheists who quietly get on with their lives unperturbed by theism, appear to be displaying 'what an atheist is' whereas active non-theist/anti theists take their lack of belief in gods, a step or two further... but do not acknowledge this as being the case, thus confusion arises as a result of that lack of acknowledgment.
Careful there about what we acknowledge or don't acknowledge:

We readily acknowledge that I take steps to address theism, unlike those atheists who just get on with their lives.

What we do not acknowledge however, is that this difference does not make me any more or any less atheistic then they are, as per my first point re: binary yes, no.
Does it confuse you?
Well, it did. I had different impression of what a non-theist is and what an anti-theist is. Now that's you've explained what you meant, there is no more confusion. But confusion would arise again, the next person I speak to, because I won't know what they mean by non-theist and anti-theist, and they won't know what I mean by them.
Just as there are 'types' of theists [you acknowledge that don't you?] there are also types of atheists. What is so 'confusing' that uncommon terms should not be created in order to acknowledge the reality? Why resist such terms if they can help clarify where the source of confusion appears to lie?
The confusion lies in what the terms meant: being uncommon, there is no common understanding on what they mean. There would be no resistance if such terms does in fact help clarify what one's position is.

Perhaps more to the point, the actual resistance here is that somehow, I am seen as less of an atheist for being an anti-theist and non-theist. Being a Christians doesn't make one less of a theist, yet there you were, suggesting those atheist who don't argue here, are more atheistic. That's what I resist.
How did you reach that conclusion?
Because they are unable to affirm that they are unsure whether gods exist, unable to affirm that gods are unknowable.
If they are unsure whether gods exist or not, that is what the label 'agnostic' signifies.
That's the point. They don't hold the position of being unsure whether gods exist or not, hence not agnostic.
Then why behave contrary to that position?
I don't think I am behaving contrary to that position at all. What behavior am I exhibiting that you would not expect from someone who is not sure whether gods exist or not?
Is it a case that you are in two minds and sometimes you are unsure and other times you are being anti-theist, implying that you are sure?
I think my previous answer would suffice. I am unsure about whether gods exists - making me an agnostic, I am sure about theists' argument being rubbish, sure enough to state it publicly, making me anti-theist. These are compatible positions.
Because theist and non theist positions can be expressed positively and negatively.
When someone antagonistic is against theism or anti-theism, they are being negative.
Why insist on this being negative instead of leaving room between positive and negative. re: not-positive? I can attack a position without affirming the opposite conclusion.
Agnosticism is neither positive or negative but remains neutral, in the "I don't know" position. Positive and negative expression implies one does know - at least enough to attack or defend said positions.
Why can't one attack a position, while saying I don't know? See my marbles analogy presented elsewhere. An "oddist" says there are an odd number of marbles in this jar because the jar is red. I say, that's irrational, the color of the jar has no bearing on the number of marbles there in. I am anti-odd without being pro-even.
Agnosticism cannot be attacked and need not be defended.
What if a theist present an argument of knowing God for sure? What if an anti-theist presents an argument of disproving God for sure? These would count as attacks on agnosticism.
You are both neutral and negative?

How is that a real position?
I am sticking to my previous answer. It is real position: I am unsure as to gods' existence, making me a neutral. And I am sure theists arguments are faulty, making me a negative. (I'd rather say not positive here, but lets leave that aside for now.)
Unless what you are meaning is that some times you are neutral and other times you are negative...then you are switching position depending on whatever motivates you to do so at the time you do so.
I meant I am neutral all the time about subject A, and I am negative all the time about subject B. Which position is relevant, depends on the context. I am not changing position, the context is changing.
Would you say that you are not sure whether gods exist or not?
Yes, let me make that very clear. I am not sure whether gods exist or not.
Is that some, or all theistic arguments are faulty?
All the ones I have been presented with. Presumably, theists are not holding some arguments secret.
How can you be sure that is the case, if you are not sure whether gods exist? {or not}
A faulty argument can have a true conclusion, and it can have a false conclusion. As such whether gods exists or not, have no bearing on whether an argument for god is faulty or not. I can be sure because I can examine each argument as they are being presented, whether gods exist or not is not a factor here.
One can hold the neutral position of Agnostic [being not sure whether gods exist or not] and find fault in theistic arguments, even without resorting to being anti-theist.
Sure. I just so happens to care enough to make it public.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #78

Post by TRANSPONDER »

William wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:22 pm [Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #73]
Agnosticism is not knowing whether there is a god or not
Nope.
Agnosticism is not knowing either way whether there are gods or not and remaining open minded regarding that, while following along with the arguments from non-theist and theist positions alike.
Agnosticism itself is simple, but confusion caused by the popular misrepresentations of Agnosticism going about can lead to it looking very complicated.
Isn't that what I said? I get your point about ...ah I see :D following the evidence replaces "No idea" agnosticism with some evidence or arguments to base a conclusion on. Yes, indeed. Even though the arguments and evidence is approached with a god -belief or a lack of one. Which is why control of education and the media is vital for either side.

I assert that God -believers may well think that their Theism is supported by (though not based on) evidence. But they have never heard the other side (which isn't the same as never listened to it). But when they have heard and they prefer all kinds of denial and excuses, they give up any claim to be based on anything but Blind Faith.

True, agnosticism gets misrepresented or misnames as much as atheism does, and for the same reason. Believers in some sorta -god or a Cosmic Creator not related to any particular Holy Book often call themselves 'agnostics' which they are, but then so are atheists and Creationists as nobody really knows. What they actually are is (obviously) irreligious theists. They may be Deists, too - in fact probably as it's easier to postulate a creator that keeps his hands away from interference than one who intervenes in a way that almost anyone could do better.

But in fact irreligious theists or Deists or 'agnostics' (as 'Nones') are generally on the side of the atheists as co -irreligionists because any disagreement about a Possible First Cause is academic, not political.

William
Savant

Post #79

Post by William »

[Replying to Bust Nak in post #77]
Even so, your retort did nothing to clear up that confusion, which is the point I am making re the claims folk make as to what makes an atheist an atheist. Presently the answer to that question appears to be unclear.
It's clear if you stick to this definition or definitions alone the same line, this is what makes an atheist: anyone who does not affirm the existence of god(s).
That is one definition without doubt. But how are we to know it is the correct definition and not just a misrepresentation further adding to the confusion which already exists.
I differ from them, not because of this essential feature, but how because I care enough to debate theists.
Even so, that is not what makes it okay for you to call yourself an atheist if that is not what an atheist is, because to do so is simply enabling confusion to happen.
Do you want folk to be confused in this manner? Is it a matter of strategy, like how Christians use similar type strategy to confuse the enemy?

Ultimately I - as an Agnostic - see no difference in said strategies and also see no rational reason to inject confusion into the mix.
Okay, how do you propose we measure the level of atheistic-ness?
By acknowledging that atheists are getting about the business of life without wasting time in internet forums debating the undebatable.

Anyone else, is non-theist/anti-theist or theist/religious rather than strictly exact examples of "Atheism" or "Theism".
What advantage does your proposal have?
It [potentially] would remove the confusion which has been ongoing - probably since the formation of Atheism and Theism - and removing confusion has to be an advantage, would you not agree? Unless of course is it purposefully meant to be confusing in order that a strategic advantage might be given [to those using the strategy from each of the opposing positions] which allows for at least the illusion of advantage, if not the real-thing.
Then according to this, I am a non-theist.
Yes. Although as you say, you do get actively aggressive with theists, which would change your position to anti-theist when such occurs.
What we do not acknowledge however, is that this difference does not make me any more or any less atheistic then they are, as per my first point re: binary yes, no.
If only things were that simple in the real world.

I would say, based upon your premise "Yes" you are different from an atheist when you are being a non-theist or an anti-theist and "no" you are no different from an atheist when you are simply lacking belief in gods and getting on with your life undisturbed by what theists and non-theists are engaging in.

[Which may only happen when you are sleeping - in which case you would more an atheist when you are sleeping, unless while you slept, you dreamed of combating with theists...]

So, digression aside, my point is still standing.
Does it confuse you?
Well, it did. I had different impression of what a non-theist is and what an anti-theist is. Now that's you've explained what you meant, there is no more confusion. But confusion would arise again, the next person I speak to, because I won't know what they mean by non-theist and anti-theist, and they won't know what I mean by them.
That is the nature of this game we are all involved with. In order to communicate with each other we need to use words and actions and words and actions often result in confusion.

One way to counter this natural tendency to confusion is to understand the self sufficiently that one can succinctly convey ones position to another when questioned about it, whilst also bearing in mind that there still currently exist, confusing ideas about what positions are what and where the lines blur, and so - how to sharpen words and actions up enough to cut through known potential ways in which confusion find its way into our interactions, is commendable to that end.
Perhaps more to the point, the actual resistance here is that somehow, I am seen as less of an atheist for being an anti-theist and non-theist. Being a Christians doesn't make one less of a theist, yet there you were, suggesting those atheist who don't argue here, are more atheistic.
I understand you there and thank you for making the effort to clarify.

I did not mean to say that ANY position is less or more than ANY other position. Just different. Different enough to be noticed and acknowledged as different. And labeled accordingly/truthfully

Just as coming from a Christian position is not less than someone coming from Jewish position - they are the same that they come from a religious position, but are different than the theist position, because they branch away from one another to the point where the differences can be acknowledged as real.
That's what I resist.
The atheist position is not one of less or more, but of lack. If you were just atheist about things, then you would not be concerned with having to deal with feelings which cause you to resist.

Therefore those feelings should not be associate with being atheist. [because 'confusion'] But they can be associated with being non/anti-theist.

William
Savant

Post #80

Post by William »

[Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #78]

Agnosticism is the better default position where all other positions derive/branch out from.

Agnosticism
Agnostic Atheist/Agnostic Theist
Atheism
Atheistic: non-Theist and anti-Theist[soft/hard]
Theism
Theistic: Theist and religious [soft/hard]