Is atheism lacking?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

historia
Prodigy

Is atheism lacking?

Post #1

Post by historia »

This is an oft made point on this forum, but one I want to explore in a bit more depth:
Tcg wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:37 pm
We_Are_VENOM wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:23 pm
If you don't believe that God exists, then that itself is a belief.
I lack belief in god/gods. Lack of belief is quite clearly not a belief.
I think we can all appreciate the case where a person might be ignorant of a particular topic and thus have no beliefs about it. That seems straight-forward.

But, if a person previously believed in X but now no longer believes in X, while spending time on an online forum debating X, it seems less straight-forward (to me anyway) to say that they simply "lack" belief in X. Even if that person is merely contending that there is insufficient evidence (for them, at least) to believe in X, surely we must conclude that constitutes a belief about X.

Question for debate: Is it accurate to say that atheists debating the existence of God on an online forum lack belief in God (or gods), or is there a more accurate way to describe their beliefs vis-a-vis God (or gods)?

Tcg
Savant

Re: Is atheism lacking?

Post #131

Post by Tcg »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:39 am
brunumb wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:06 am
Tcg wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:47 am Pure absurdity. I don't suggest that theists' belief in god/gods is a lack of belief. Why do some think the reverse is valid?
You're not doing it right. Their belief is simply a lack of non-belief. They are a-atheists. :D
What if I lack belief in their lack of belief in my lack of belief regarding their belief?
Well then you end up with Philly soft pretzels:

They're kinda like bagels but with salt and lots of twist and twirls.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #132

Post by TRANSPONDER »

William wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:30 pm [Replying to brunumb in post #121]

To me the solution is simple enough and I use it in relation to religious folk as well.

It doesn't matter what the person is calling themselves. Identify them by what and how they are arguing.

For example, if I assume an atheist lacks belief in gods, I don't need to assume that they are atheists because of what they are arguing, but I can refer to their position as either non-theist or anti-theist, depending on the weakness or strength of their conviction and how they broadcast that.

Not only does it deal with any confusion, but it also means I don't give anyone the opportunity to argue 'that is not what a {_________} is'.

The question for debate...;

Is it accurate to say that atheists debating the existence of X on an online forum lack belief in X (or gods), or is there a more accurate way to describe their beliefs vis-a-vis X (or gods)?

...becomes redundant.

Likewise, similar questions asked of theists...;

Is it accurate to say that theists debating the existence of God on an online forum have belief in God (or gods), or is there a more accurate way to describe their beliefs vis-a-vis God (or gods)?

...also become redundant.

Just take folk as they come regardless of what they call themselves. If they are aggressively anti-atheist or anti-theist, remember that has little relevance if any to whatever position they claim to hold, be they agnosticism, atheism or theism [re the question of creation/creator].

Which is another way of saying, what a person claims their position is, is not necessarily seen in how they are behaving, and so to avoid confusion, just remember that simple little thing.

My recommendation is that one avoid saying "[________] is what an atheist is", or "[__________] is what a theist is".

IF there are no objections from either side re the above, I am out.

Thanks for all the comments.

I suppose that would work. Use different terms depending on how they are arguing. But it still seems to me to be overlooking the common factor and rather to be controlled by the claim that the other side is putting. For instance they may be arguing the OT, or the NT, or the moral argument, or the Cosmological argument and you can use different terms to denote the counter -argument the other side is making. But it seems obvious that it is missing why they are putting those different claims - essentially to make the same claim. God - belief. And those who are not convinced by it (yet) really should have a common designation. and one could say 'God -disbeliever'. But then the Kalam argument relates to other gods that 'God', so you need a more inclusive term. And one can use a different term to distinguish between one who doesn't believe because they have never heard of it and those who have and don;t buy it, and those who don't beleive it but do nothing about it and those who debate about it. I sometimes do myself.

But I am always conscious of having to explain what I mean by the term so as not cause confusion and that's why i would rather use the common term 'atheist' than any other term, including 'Brights' which is a term I shall never, ever use.

William
Savant

Post #133

Post by William »

[Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #132]

Presently I think of my position as being Agnostic-Theist-anti-Religionist.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #134

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Y'all! Y'all! I think I found it...

From answersingenesis.com...
The Bible teaches that atheists are not really atheists. That is, those who profess to be atheists do ultimately believe in God in their heart-of-hearts. The Bible teaches that everyone knows God, because God has revealed Himself to all (Romans 1:19). In fact, the Bible tells us that God’s existence is so obvious that anyone who suppresses this truth is “without excuse” (Romans 1:20). The atheist denies with his lips what he knows in his heart.

But if they know God, then why do atheists claim that they do not believe in God?
The answer may be found in Romans 1:18. God is angry at unbelievers for their wickedness. And an all-powerful, all-knowing God who is angry at you is a terrifying prospect. So even though many atheists might claim that they are neutral, objective observers, and that their disbelief in God is purely rational, in reality, they are strongly motivated to reject the biblical God who is rightly angry with them. So they suppress that truth in unrighteousness. They convince themselves that they do not believe in God.2 The atheist is intellectually schizophrenic—believing in God, but believing that he does not believe in God.3
Atheists're in denial y'all. And they're wicked. Atheists're wicked.

Can someone recommend me a church, that I can quit living a lie, and ya know, all my wickedy ways?
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

William
Savant

Post #135

Post by William »

[Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #134]
Can someone recommend me a church, that I can quit living a lie, and ya know, all my wickedy ways?
I see you are dressed for the part already.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #136

Post by TRANSPONDER »

William wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:35 am [Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #132]

Presently I think of my position as being Agnostic-Theist-anti-Religionist.
Good enough. I'd tick the box saying 'Agnostic atheist - non religionist'. Though I suppose I'm anti -religionist, too. It just that it sounds so midnight visits with a black Mercedes limo.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #137

Post by TRANSPONDER »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:53 am Y'all! Y'all! I think I found it...

From answersingenesis.com...
The Bible teaches that atheists are not really atheists. That is, those who profess to be atheists do ultimately believe in God in their heart-of-hearts. The Bible teaches that everyone knows God, because God has revealed Himself to all (Romans 1:19). In fact, the Bible tells us that God’s existence is so obvious that anyone who suppresses this truth is “without excuse” (Romans 1:20). The atheist denies with his lips what he knows in his heart.

But if they know God, then why do atheists claim that they do not believe in God?
The answer may be found in Romans 1:18. God is angry at unbelievers for their wickedness. And an all-powerful, all-knowing God who is angry at you is a terrifying prospect. So even though many atheists might claim that they are neutral, objective observers, and that their disbelief in God is purely rational, in reality, they are strongly motivated to reject the biblical God who is rightly angry with them. So they suppress that truth in unrighteousness. They convince themselves that they do not believe in God.2 The atheist is intellectually schizophrenic—believing in God, but believing that he does not believe in God.3
Atheists're in denial y'all. And they're wicked. Atheists're wicked.

AiG shews forth its' ignorance yet again. Don't they know that atheism, being a religion, Has a church where we-all eat babies. The above quote at least shows one thing, clearly (though in fact they are probably 'Projecting' their own deep - down knowledge that they are lying to themselves) and that is PoE - the Rule or Law that you cannot spoof religious talk so much that you can't find a believer talking polemic even more absurd.

historia
Prodigy

Post #138

Post by historia »

Tcg wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:57 pm
Not surprisingly historia didn't include this exchange in his O.P. . . . Why was this Straw Man effort left out of the O.P.?
Because it's not relevant to the topic of this thread.

I'm interested in the claim that some atheists make that they simply lack belief in God (and therefore have no concomitant belief about God). I cited your comment from the earlier thread simply because it is illustrative of this position, not because I'm interested in your full discussion with Venom.
Tcg wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:57 pm
It was of course quite clearly an example of a theist attempting to push me into a box I have made no claims of being in nor do I identify with.
I agree. Venom's assertion that you think God doesn't exist does not accurately reflect your beliefs. This is an example of someone falsely ascribing a belief to you.

If we can both agree to that, can we also both agree that I'm not doing that? I'm pointing out that whatever attitude, position, or opinion you hold with regard to the proposition that God exists is, by definition, a belief. Doubting that God exists, for example, is a belief.

To that end, I'm not telling you what you believe, I'm pointing out that your beliefs don't magically become non-beliefs just because you're an atheist.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #139

Post by TRANSPONDER »

I don't know about TcG, but I can't sign up to that. Because I don't have any beliefs about God or a god or cosmic creator, because i am not persuaded that one exists. However I do believe that the evidence or logical arguments for a god or Creator are not persuasive, and you can call those beliefs if you like, as you can call my conviction that the actions of God in the Bible show that entity to be devoid of anything I'd regard as morality, goodness or love for its' creation, but that doesn't mean that I believe anything at all about that Biblical figure, because i don't believe that it exists. It's a nice distinction, but a real and valid one.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #140

Post by Bust Nak »

William wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:53 pm That is one definition without doubt. But how are we to know it is the correct definition and not just a misrepresentation further adding to the confusion which already exists.
I mentioned this before, definitions are not matters of correctness, but of popularity. And definitions along the lines of lack of belief is popular enough to be in most dictionaries. The wouldn't be any confusion if people just stick to this dictionary definition. The only people confused are the ones not using that definition.
Even so, that is not what makes it okay for you to call yourself an atheist if that is not what an atheist is, because to do so is simply enabling confusion to happen.
That's moot because the fact that I fit the definition of an atheist, makes it okay for me to call myself an atheist.
Do you want folk to be confused in this manner? Is it a matter of strategy, like how Christians use similar type strategy to confuse the enemy?
No, I want the exact opposite. I want everyone to be clear on what I am - an atheist, as defined alone the lines of someone who lacks a belief in deities. The strategy, if you could call it that, it's more of goal: is that by making this very clear, it limits the opportunities for theists to shift the burden of proof onto us.
By acknowledging that atheists are getting about the business of life without wasting time in internet forums debating the undebatable.
Please don't generalise, while most of us are getting about life without debating, some of us are not.
Anyone else, is non-theist/anti-theist or theist/religious rather than strictly exact examples of "Atheism" or "Theism".
You are still speaking as if non-theists/anti-theist are not merely variations of atheists, but somehow different from atheists. Quit it.
It [potentially] would remove the confusion which has been ongoing - probably since the formation of Atheism and Theism - and removing confusion has to be an advantage, would you not agree?
Sure. But you are just adding to the confusion, when sticking to the dictionary definition I referred to, is best for removing confusion. Your proposal is counter-productive to the stated goal.
Yes. Although as you say, you do get actively aggressive with theists, which would change your position to anti-theist when such occurs.
Why call it a change when I am both a non-theist and an anti-theist?
If only things were that simple in the real world.
They can be if people like you stop adding to the confusion.
I would say, based upon your premise "Yes" you are different from an atheist when you are being a non-theist or an anti-theist...
How? Based upon my premise, non-theists and anti-theists are just variations of atheist, not a different category.
That is the nature of this game we are all involved with. In order to communicate with each other we need to use words and actions and words and actions often result in confusion.

One way to counter this natural tendency to confusion is to understand the self sufficiently that one can succinctly convey ones position to another when questioned about it, whilst also bearing in mind that there still currently exist, confusing ideas about what positions are what and where the lines blur, and so - how to sharpen words and actions up enough to cut through known potential ways in which confusion find its way into our interactions, is commendable to that end.
Yes, that's why you should stick to the definition - it succinctly convey ones position to another when questioned about it, it helps clarify confusing ideas about what positions are what and where the lines blur.
I understand you there and thank you for making the effort to clarify.

I did not mean to say that ANY position is less or more than ANY other position. Just different. Different enough to be noticed and acknowledged as different. And labeled accordingly/truthfully
The label Christian is different from theist, yet it's clear Christians are a subset of theists. Yet there you were, speaking as if non-theists and anti-theists are not atheist, or only atheists when we are sleeping. There is an inconsistency between with how you use your terms re: Christians and theist, vs non-theist/anit-theist and atheist.
Just as coming from a Christian position is not less than someone coming from Jewish position - they are the same that they come from a religious position, but are different than the theist position, because they branch away from one another to the point where the differences can be acknowledged as real.
You are missing the point, you are supposed to be comparing Christians with theists, not Christians with Jews. Being Christians does not stop one from being theistic.
The atheist position is not one of less or more, but of lack. If you were just atheist about things, then you would not be concerned with having to deal with feelings which cause you to resist.

Therefore those feelings should not be associate with being atheist...
They never were associate with being atheist though. Atheism is about one thing only re: the existence of gods.