Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

How did the Floodwaters Recede?

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

Genesis 8 states this about the waters receding after the flood:
8 But God remembered Noah and all the wild animals and the livestock that were with him in the ark, and he sent a wind over the earth, and the waters receded. 2 Now the springs of the deep and the floodgates of the heavens had been closed, and the rain had stopped falling from the sky. 3 The water receded steadily from the earth. At the end of the hundred and fifty days the water had gone down.
Ignoring the odd statement that after the hundred and fifty days the water had gone down given that Noah and crew stayed in the ark for over a year, how did the water recede? The only hint we have is that it was due to a wind that God sent. Does this suggest evaporation?

Perhaps more importantly doesn't the phrase the "water receded steadily from the earth" imply that the receding was uniform? In other words, it receded from the earth at the same rate all over the earth? If so, how could this receding be responsible for the creation of the Grand Canyon or other canyons around the world as some claim? Unless there were a plug pulled somewhere that would cause draining faster in one area than another, there'd be no reason for water to flow from one area to another. We read that the "springs of the deep had been closed" so this is not a viable option.

Given that the Bible reports a steady and uniform decrease in water to end the flood, how could it be responsible for the formation of canyons such as the Grand Canyon?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: How did the Floodwaters Recede?

Post #41

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:34 pm
brunumb wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:02 pm A pretty picture but it it no way relates to what happened in the Grand Canyon. Erosion carries sediment away. That aside, please explain how the sediments in the Grand Canyon became rock all the way to the top in such a short amount of time.
I believe it happened because there was lot of water on top of it and the weight of the water compressed it and solidified it to some extent. When the water level begun to get lower, it was not as solid as today, which is why the erosion was fast after the flood.
brunumb wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:02 pm...Back to plate tectonics, it doesn't defy gravity at all. Gravity is actually the weakest of the fundamental forces. Planes appear to defy gravity. The builders of the pyramids seem to have defied gravity. Massive horizontal forces pushing plates together can overcome gravity. The greater force wins. ...
Ok, sorry, I was not accurate enough. What I meant is "weight of an object is the force acting on the object due to gravity", W = mg. Meaning, when there is great mass, it causes great force. If we compare for example weight of Mount Everest to weight of some area near the level of ocean, there is a great difference. For example Mount Everest would cause force to crust that is about 150 MPa. So, to lift that, one would need greater upward force. And the official theory can't give anything like that. If the official plate tectonics theory would be correct, earth not have such mountains, because the weight would level things down.
Clearly not because the force behind plate tectonics - the floating of continents on mobile mantle - is enough to crumple rocks into mountains where it runs into another land -mass and gravity gas little or no say in the matter. I defy gravity every time I lift a freezer - pack of Booze from a supermart shelf. Tectonic plate stresses won't have any trouble. In other words, while trotting out some formulae to make it look scientific, you slip in the airy claim that the 'official theory' can't 'give anything like that' which is simply not the case.

I' obliged to ask where you got the information or claim that tectonic plate movements hadn't the power to lift up rock strata into mountains in despite of the weight of the rocks. Some scientific source? Some creationist website? Or did you just make it up? I would be very interested to know.

Savant

Post #42

Post by 1213 »

Tcg wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:11 pm Because those who keep track of such occurrences are reporting the fact that sea levels are rising. NOAA is one such organization:
I have difficulties to believe that. However, if we assume that is true, the problem is in, what is decided to be the reference point. When land is decided to be the reference point, it can look water level is rising. But, it can be wrong reference point. Because water tends to level up evenly, and land is not rising evenly, it is most probably so that the land is just going down in some areas.
Tcg wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:11 pmCan you provide any sources that support your assertion that they are dropping due to oil extraction?
Isn't it logically obvious to all? If you pump something from earth, it will be replaced by something else?

Savant

Post #43

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:07 pm ...
I' obliged to ask where you got the information or claim that tectonic plate movements hadn't the power to lift up rock strata into mountains in despite of the weight of the rocks. Some scientific source? ...
I have studied the theory and it doesn't present any force that would be greater than for example the 150 MPa that is needed to raise Mount Everest. But, it is obviously possible that I am not all knowing, therefore, if you can demonstrate what could cause such force, please show it.

Tcg
Savant

Post #44

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:25 pm
Tcg wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:11 pm Because those who keep track of such occurrences are reporting the fact that sea levels are rising. NOAA is one such organization:
I have difficulties to believe that.
What is it you are having trouble accepting?
Tcg wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:11 pmCan you provide any sources that support your assertion that they are dropping due to oil extraction?
Isn't it logically obvious to all? If you pump something from earth, it will be replaced by something else?
It's not obvious at all. Beyond that, I asked if you could provide sources to support your hunch. For instance, has NOAA ever identified this phenomenon?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom