A simple---but serious---question

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Athetotheist
Prodigy

A simple---but serious---question

Post #1

Post by Athetotheist »

There are numerous god-men who died and rose from death in stories predating the time of Jesus. Considering the notable differences between the gospel accounts, and particularly the differences between the accounts of Jesus's supposed resurrection, here's a question for gospel apologists to think seriously about:

There are four resurrection accounts about Jesus in the Christian gospels. If the exact same accounts, with the exact same differences, were written about Osiris, Tammuz, Attis or any such god-man other than Jesus, would Christian apologists find all of those accounts believable?

And if they wouldn't find all of them believable, would they find any of them believable?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: A simple---but serious---question

Post #61

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Miles wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:32 am

Another contradiction.[/size] And, YES, just as everyone takes these Genesis verses as chronologically ordered, so do I.
That is untrue since I do not believe Genesis is presented in strict chronological order ergo, I see no contradtion.

My question for you is the following : Is there a POSSIBILITY the author was NOT presenting the information in chronological ordered?

FURTHER READING Synopsis
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 83#p926583
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

CONTRADICTIONS , SEQUENCING and ...EASTER CHALLENGES*
* harmonizing the resurrection narratives
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #62

The first scripture is refering to Michal having not biological children.

The second to her having "adopted" sons.
And your evidence is: Book _____________ Chapter ______ Verse _____ .

I don't have to present scriptural evidence to refute accusations of a CONTRADICTION. All that is needed is propose possible explanations that harmonize the two statements. Have you never seen "12 angry men"?

My question for you then is: Are you saying that it IMPOSSIBLE the author is using the term "sons" in anything but its biological sense?

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Miles
Savant

Post #63

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:54 am

Possibly.

A possibility, yes
Contradiction exists when there is no possible way for both things to be true. If you concede that these are "possible" explanations then you are admitting they are not contradictions.
The possibility I was addressing was the contradiction's genesis: scribal error. It's possible the contradiction was due to scribal error, and it's possible it was due to some other cause.

Miles
Savant

Post #64

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:58 am

Which can be explained by you misreading 1 CHRON 22:2 which reads 42 years not 22

2 Chronicles 22:2
King James Version
2 Forty and two years old was Ahaziah when he began to reign, and he reigned one year in Jerusalem. His mother's name also was Athaliah the daughter of Omri.

2 Chronicles 22:2 American Standard Version
Forty and two years old was Ahaziah when he began to reign; and he reigned one year in Jerusalem: and his mother’s name was Athaliah the daughter of Omri.

2 Chronicles 22:2 God's Word Version
Ahaziah  was 42 years old when he began to rule, and he ruled for one year in Jerusalem. His mother was Athaliah, the granddaughter of Omri.

2 Chronicles 22:2 World English Bible Version
Ahaziah was forty-two years old when he began to reign, and he reigned one year in Jerusalem. His mother’s name was Athaliah the daughter of Omri.

2 Chronicles 22:2 Modern English Version
Now Ahaziah was forty-two years old when he began to reign, but he only reigned one year in Jerusalem. The name of his mother was Athaliah, a granddaughter of Omri.

2 Chronicles 22:2 Revised Standard Version
Ahazi′ah was forty-two years old when he began to reign, and he reigned one year in Jerusalem. His mother’s name was Athali′ah, the granddaughter of Omri.

Are there and translations which read 22 years old? And if so what can we reasonably conclude?
That you were wrong when you said I misread 2 CHRON 22:2

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #65

Miles wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:28 am
Are there and translations which read 22 years old? And if so what can we reasonably conclude?
That you were wrong when you said I misread 1 CHRON 22:2

Okay, .... now what about my question regarding various translations?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #66

Miles wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:27 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:54 am

Possibly.

A possibility, yes
The possibility I was addressing was the contradiction's genesis: scribal error. It's possible the contradiction was due to scribal error, and it's possible it was due to some other cause.

Ok. Now I have a second question about genesis: Is it POSSIBLE that the author was not writing in strict chronological order?

JW

RELATED POSTS

What is "argumentum ad populum"?
viewtopic.php?p=1048524#p1048524

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #67

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:40 pm
Miles wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:59 pm
Jehoiachin was eighteen years old when he began to reign, and he reigned in Jerusalem three months. —2 Kings 24:8

Jehoiachin was eight years old when he began to reign, and he reigned three months and ten days in Jerusalem… —2 Chronicles 36:9
This was probably a scribal (copyist) error.
Possibly. Possibly not. Yet they still remain contradictions.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #68

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:40 pm
Jehoiachin was eighteen years old when he began to reign, and he reigned in Jerusalem three months. —2 Kings 24:8

Jehoiachin was eight years old when he began to reign, and he reigned three months and ten days in Jerusalem… —2 Chronicles 36:9
This was probably a scribal (copyist) error.
Possibly . Possibly not. Yet they still remain contradictions.

CONTRADICTION exists when there is no possible way for both things to be true. If you concede that these are "possible" explanations then you are admitting they are not contradictions.

A copying error that results in an apparent contradiction is not an author's error.

JW

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

CONTRADICTIONS , SEQUENCING and ...EASTER CHALLENGES*
* harmonizing the resurrection narratives
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #69

JehovahsWitness wrote:
11And a voice came from heaven, saying, “You are My beloved Son in whom I am well pleased.” —Mark 1:11 [voice is speaking to Jesus]

17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. —Matthew 3:17 [voice is speaking to others][/indent]
Is there any reason the voice couldn't have said both?
A possibility, yes. ...

CONTRADICTION exists when there is no possible way for both things to be true. If you concede that this is a "possible" explanation then you are admitting they are not contradictions.

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Miles
Savant

Post #70

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:35 am
Ok. Now I have a second question about genesis: Is it POSSIBLE that the author was not writing in strict chronological order?
Just like the possibility that Jesus never rose from the dead. Isn't it possible that the whole resurrection story was a fabrication? After all, look at all the conflicting elements in the gospel stories. The guys simply couldn't get their stories straight.