Tcg
Savant

Is theism lacking?

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

Theism has been defined as:
: belief in the existence of a god or gods

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/theism
Atheism then would be the absence or lack of this belief which theists possess.

Does theism require one to lack acceptance of this easily understood reality?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Re: Is theism lacking?

Post #21

Post by Tcg »

Purple Knight wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:02 am
Tcg wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:56 am
Purple Knight wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:23 pm
Hopefully someone doesn't come along and prove you are God because that would break your seemingly iron-clad argument.
If I were God, it'd be free popcorn for everyone. Given that not everyone has popcorn, I'm obviously not God. Oh, and free health care, I'd do that too. And cats for everybody.
You couldn't do those things if you were God but didn't know it. If someone proved you were God that might not give you access to the powers of God, if it was you yourself who wished that they be taken away or put out of use for a certain period. It would depend on how omnipotence functions, and none of us know that.
And if hamburgers were the fountain of youth people may make the mistake of not eating at McDonalds. You know if they didn't know burgers could provide eternal life, they might make the mistake of eating chicken strips or fried okra or Lobster Thermador.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #22

Post by nobspeople »

Tcg wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:23 am
nobspeople wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:37 am
Tcg wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:37 pm .
Theism has been defined as:
: belief in the existence of a god or gods

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/theism
Atheism then would be the absence or lack of this belief which theists possess.

Does theism require one to lack acceptance of this easily understood reality?

Tcg
Aside from being about opposites (god exist/god doesn't exist) I don't see theism or atheism requiring anything of each other.
:confused2:
Then theists could indeed accept that atheism is the lack of belief in god/gods? If that is the case, then theism doesn't require one to lack acceptance of this easily understood reality?

Tcg
People (theist or non) can (or could) do a lot of things. Rather or not they do is, it seems, up to the individual.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #23

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to Purple Knight in post #18]
Some religious people don't even believe atheists exist.
Let's look at why this is: Some religious people (problem #1, people believing in a religion trying to masquerade as knowing things outside their chosen life style 'box', if you will) don't even believe (believe requires no facts, truth, data or knowledge - just one person to accept it and thus, hold little to no weight in reality) atheists exist.

Joking aside (was I joking....? :confused2: ) when people are mired in their own belief to refuse to accept things outside their box of reality, their opinions are worthless.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!