WHY Do You REALLY Believe?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

WHY Do You REALLY Believe?

Post #1

Post by POI »

I've been debating apologists, pastors, ministers, theists, and others, for a few years now. As I had already suspected, and continue to confirm for myself, is that no amount of logical argumentation later sways one's decision to the opponent's "side". This goes for both theists and atheists alike...

I've delved into the 'psychology of believe', in the passed. However, these topics below look to be my biggest 'findings' thus far, as to why so many believe....

- Most are god believers, and may always be god believers, due to the topic of (type 1 errors). We all commit them BTW.
- Many are god believers, and may always be god believers, due to the topic of geography.
- Many are god believers, and may always be god believers, due to early indoctrination. - It later becomes difficult to shake this early indoctrinated core belief, even if the evidence later suggests otherwise to this recipient.
- Many are god believers, and may always be god believers, due to the notion of 'experiencing god speaking to them' at one point or many.
- (Please add your reason(s) here if you feel I've missed some key topics)

I feel it's safe to assume that we will always have more god believers, verses 'atheists'. Apologetics, though fun to debate, hardly ever IS the reason someone becomes a 'god believer'. "It's been said that logic and reason is not what brought someone to 'god'. Hence, why would you suspect logic and reason could sway such away from god?"

One last thing, before I pose the question(s) for examination...

I was in a heated debate, with a church pastor, about all things... slavery. In the middle, he stopped and asked me.... "Have you ever felt the Holy Spirit?" For which I answered in honesty.... "Though I have had experiences in the passed, for which I cannot fully explain, I do not know whether or not it was me speaking to myself, or if there was the presence of something else, for which was not me." He paused, looked at me, as if he felt sorry for me, and stated... "Okay, this conversation is over." I asked why. He stated that God exists, and He attempts to speak to all of us. If you do not hear Him, this is your fault. I then pointed out that many, around the globe, feel they have communicated with god(s), but also differing god(s) than (yours). He was already done, and just continued to no longer engage, as if he just felt pity for me.

Again, seems all roads, with Christians, seemingly often times leads to Romans 1. Anywho, moving along... Question(s) for debate:

1. Would you mind giving us the MAIN reason you believe? Is it one of the topics above, or other? If you need elaboration on any above, please ask...
2. Is your current belief open for actual debate? Meaning, could ANYTHING shake your faith? If not, why not?
3. Why are you here, hanging out in the apologetics forums? Are you here to convert atheists, or other? On a side note, I suspect apologetics is not what brings Christians to Christianity; so why would you expect different for others?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

POI
Prodigy

Re: WHY Do You REALLY Believe?

Post #21

Post by POI »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:19 pm
POI wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:50 am
I'm asking why you are a JW specifically. Is this line of questioning open for debate? If questions are posed, which raise possible inconsistencies to your chosen 'faith', will you address them?
My faith is not up for debate no.
Why not?

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

POI
Prodigy

Post #22

Post by POI »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:21 pm
"Bible truth's"? Do tell....

I'm here for many reasons... If you care for a list, I can give you one.
Are you asking me what I believe to be bible truths or are you wanting to debate my beliefs. If the former then I will respond. If the latter have a nice day.

JW
Before I address your questions, I must point out that you are hanging out in an arena, where the title of the cite states "Debating Christianity" ;) If your beliefs are not up for debate, then might I suggest hanging out more-so in an arena where your ideas and beliefs will not be challenged.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #23

Post by JehovahsWitness »

POI wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:27 pm
I'm asking why you are a JW specifically. Is this line of questioning open for debate? If questions are posed, which raise possible inconsistencies to your chosen 'faith', will you address them?
Why not?

Because my faith is a personal intimate relationship that concerns nobody but my Creator. If you would like to ask me something about the bible or my religion, I am happy to consider answering.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

POI
Prodigy

Post #24

Post by POI »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:32 pm
POI wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:27 pm
Why not?

Because my faith is a personal intimate relationship that concerns nobody but my Creator. If you would like to ask me something about the bible or my religion, I am happy to consider answering.

JW
Post #22.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #25

POI wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:38 pm Post #22.
I'm happy to to answer questions about Christianty or my religion (Jehovahs Witness) ; I do NOT discuss my intimate personal relationships.

Is there anything else you would like to ask me?

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

POI
Prodigy

Post #26

Post by POI »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:43 pm
I'm happy to to answer questions about Christianty or my religion (Jehovahs Witness) ; I do NOT discuss my intimate personal relationships.

JW
I don't recall asking for that... Since you are a JW, I'm specifically asking you the following (post #17):

If questions are posed, which raise possible inconsistencies to your chosen 'faith', will you address them?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #27

POI wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:56 pm

JW
I don't recall asking for that... Since you are a JW, I'm specifically asking you the following (post #17):

If questions are posed, which raise possible inconsistencies to your chosen 'faith', will you address them?

What do you mean by faith? Are you talking about my religion ? Or the bible? Or something else ... if so can you be specific and tell me what?

POI
Prodigy

Post #28

Post by POI »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:07 pm
POI wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:56 pm

JW

What do you mean by faith? Are you talking about my religion ? Or the bible?
Allow me to elaborate and recap this brief exchange. Thus far, you stated why you believe in 'creationism'. If you were an interlocutor, who was merely a deist, I'd say, "okay, let's explore this idea further."

However, you are also a professed JW. I'm more-so curious why you are a JW specifically? You can be a God believer, and ascribe to many differing and even conflicting 'faiths'.

Thus, as I asked prior, if a presented probable contradiction were to be pointed out, which you could not reconcile, would you still remain a JW specifically? Or, would you instead maybe remain a god believer, but have no choice but to now denounce the JW faith specifically?

Please bare in mind, this addresses nothing about your perceived 'personal relationship' with god. Maybe you are just mistaken and have the wrong 'faith'? (i.e.) JW

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #29

POI wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:16 pm ... why you are a JW specifically?

Because it is the only religion I found that holds to bible standard.

POI wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:16 pm ... ...if a presented probable contradiction were to be pointed out, which you could not reconcile, would you still remain a JW specifically?
Contradiction between what and what? Between my religion and present scientific ideas? Between my religion and other religious ideas? Between my religion and your interpretation of the bible ?

I'cannot answer this question because it is not clear to me; perhaps you can clarify.

POI
Prodigy

Post #30

Post by POI »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:25 pm
POI wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:16 pm ... why you are a JW specifically?
Because it is the only religion I found that holds to bible standard.
Why is the Bible (the standard), as opposed to some other book of claims, or maybe even a book which has yet to be written? Or even still, maybe some god(s) exist(s) and has not, or will not, inspire any actual accurate human created text?
JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:25 pm
POI wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:16 pm ... ...if a presented probable contradiction were to be pointed out, which you could not reconcile, would you still remain a JW specifically?
Contradiction between what and what? Betwen my religion and present scientific ideas? Between my religion and other religious ideas? Between my beliefs and my religion and your interpretation of the bible ?

I'cannot answer this question because it is not clear to me; perhaps you can clarify.
Your doctrine states it does not deny science. And yet, your doctrine mentions a topic, which may contradict science.

Are you willing to discuss/explore this observation? And if so, and if this contradiction was demonstrated to be the case (for you), would you still remain a JW?

Or, would you then dismiss this specific doctrine as well; just as you apparently have with all others?