Ten Commandments

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Ten Commandments

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Ask 1000 christians "What, exactly, counts as 'a sin'?" and you'd probably get various answers. Most, somewhere in the conversation, would likely visit the Ten Commandments. Fair enough, I suppose. But are there other things that aren't included in the Ten Commandments - outliers - that are also sin?
Some say it's a sin to smoke, drink, do drugs, curse. Some say those are OK so long as you're not over indulging in them.
Some say it's a sin to kill another human being, while others say it's not if it pertains to justice and or self defense.
Some say it's a sin to blaspheme, yet many can't agree on what that is, exactly.
Some say it's a sin to disobey god, while others say it's not a sin, just not a good idea.
Some say it's a sin to be gay, while others say it's not, but the act it, while others still say being gay is not an issue.
Some say it's a sin to have sex before marriage, while others say it's not, while others still say having sex is a union and thus, dictates being married.

It seems that, if sin separates one from god, it's an important enough concept in which everyone should be able to fully grasp.

So, assuming violating the 10 CMDMTS is a sin, are there other things that are sinful as well? If yes, what are they, exactly? If not, is it safe to say obeying the 10 CMDMTS is a sure-fire way to avoid sin?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Savant

Re: Ten Commandments

Post #41

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:50 pm
1213 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:47 pm
nobspeople wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:27 am Ask 1000 christians "What, exactly, counts as 'a sin'?"...
I have understood that there is actually only one thing that is sin, that person rejects God. Reason why I think so is that sin is basically the opposite of righteous. And righteous person lives, if he is loyal (faithful) to God.
So if you accept god as your Lord, all other expressed 'sin' in the Bible now becomes arbitrary?
What many call a sin, by what I have understood, is actually braking the law, or doing a mistake. It may be that in some cases person doesn’t reject God when he does so. This does not mean that making mistakes or braking the law is then ok. By what I see, even person who is counted righteous, may do wrong things, but the difference is that he is sorry, when he understands that he has done so. He does not reject God because of that. And that is the difference between righteous and wicked.

For a righteous man falls seven times, and rises up again; But the wicked are overthrown by calamity.
Pro. 24:16

"Two men went up into the temple to pray; one was a Pharisee, and the other was a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed to himself like this: 'God, I thank you, that I am not like the rest of men, extortioners, unrighteous, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week. I give tithes of all that I get.' But the tax collector, standing far away, wouldn't even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me, a sinner!' I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted."
Luke 18:10-14

This is why, I don’t think righteousness means person is perfect. It means person has the right understanding, wisdom of the just, when he knows he has done wrongly, he regrets it and is forgiven. Sinful person doesn’t care, he is not loyal to God.

POI
Prodigy

Post #42

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:17 am
POI wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:50 pm
1213 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:47 pm
nobspeople wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:27 am Ask 1000 christians "What, exactly, counts as 'a sin'?"...
I have understood that there is actually only one thing that is sin, that person rejects God. Reason why I think so is that sin is basically the opposite of righteous. And righteous person lives, if he is loyal (faithful) to God.
So if you accept god as your Lord, all other expressed 'sin' in the Bible now becomes arbitrary?
What many call a sin, by what I have understood, is actually braking the law, or doing a mistake. It may be that in some cases person doesn’t reject God when he does so. This does not mean that making mistakes or braking the law is then ok. By what I see, even person who is counted righteous, may do wrong things, but the difference is that he is sorry, when he understands that he has done so. He does not reject God because of that. And that is the difference between righteous and wicked.

For a righteous man falls seven times, and rises up again; But the wicked are overthrown by calamity.
Pro. 24:16

"Two men went up into the temple to pray; one was a Pharisee, and the other was a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed to himself like this: 'God, I thank you, that I am not like the rest of men, extortioners, unrighteous, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week. I give tithes of all that I get.' But the tax collector, standing far away, wouldn't even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me, a sinner!' I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted."
Luke 18:10-14

This is why, I don’t think righteousness means person is perfect. It means person has the right understanding, wisdom of the just, when he knows he has done wrongly, he regrets it and is forgiven. Sinful person doesn’t care, he is not loyal to God.
After reading your response, I will slightly modify my question.

So once you humble yourself before your acknowledged God, all sin/transgression/mistakes now become arbitrary?

If yes, then the 10 Commandments are virtually all arbitrary. God's grace will apparently cover the rest.

If no, then I can ignore what you just posted.
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Savant

Post #43

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:35 am ....
So once you humble yourself before your acknowledged God, all sin/transgression/mistakes now become arbitrary?
Why would they become arbitrary?

Wootah
Savant

Post #44

Post by Wootah »

In the beginning, there was one commandment.

After the exodus when God offered his covenant I believe the actual number is 613.

All governments are weighed down by 10s of 1000s of laws today. Do any of us honestly know them? I bet any individual in any country could be arrested and prosecuted for something validly on the law books today.

Jesus said it all boils down to two things: love God, love your neighbour.

After you accept Jesus as Lord and Saviour there is no law you need to follow to get to heaven. In fact, because we fail God's law that is why you need Jesus as your redeemer.
So, assuming violating the 10 CMDMTS is a sin, are there other things that are sinful as well? If yes, what are they, exactly? If not, is it safe to say obeying the 10 CMDMTS is a sure-fire way to avoid sin?
What I would recommend is that you follow your conscience. All of our consciences are dimmed and not perceiving correctly but follow what light is shining and as you do follow it and become a Christian then you will discover more sin in your life and have more things to give over to God and to ask for the Holy Spirit to wash clean. You can't avoid sin or being a sinner but you can avoid the punishment and you can walk in Spirit and Truth and have access to a forgiving and merciful God.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #45

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Wootah wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:04 pm What I would recommend is that you follow your conscience. All of our consciences are dimmed and not perceiving correctly but follow what light is shining and as you do follow it and become a Christian then you will discover more sin in your life and have more things to give over to God and to ask for the Holy Spirit to wash clean.
Implying those who reject unfounded god tales are unclean.
Wootah wrote: You can't avoid sin or being a sinner but you can avoid the punishment and you can walk in Spirit and Truth and have access to a forgiving and merciful God.
And you can't show God exists to have an opinion on sin, you can't show he's forgiving, and ya can't show he's merciful. Though I gotta give it to ya on capitalating t's.

And the showing Christians're bout as arrogant a bunch as one's ever apt to meet.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Tcg
Savant

Post #46

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:04 pm
Jesus said it all boils down to two things: love God, love your neighbour.
Jesus said, well reportedly said, a lot of things:
Matthew 5:18 For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. 19 Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
Confusing, isn't it? It sure sounds like relaxing any of the commandments would be a very bad thing.
What I would recommend is that you follow your conscience. All of our consciences are dimmed and not perceiving correctly but follow what light is shining and as you do follow it and become a Christian then you will discover more sin in your life and have more things to give over to God and to ask for the Holy Spirit to wash clean.
Do you recommend the hot or cold-water setting?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Wootah
Savant

Post #47

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Tcg in post #46]
Matthew 5:18 For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. 19 Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
The law is good. No one is saying it isn't. We will be judged by the law. The verse does not help your case but needs to be addressed.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #48

Post by Bust Nak »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:07 pm And the showing Christians're bout as arrogant a bunch as one's ever apt to meet.
:warning: Moderator Warning

Do not make sweeping, personal remarks about a whole bunch of people.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

POI
Prodigy

Post #49

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:26 pm
POI wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:35 am ....
Why would they become arbitrary?
Allow me to rephrase this conclusion. If you believe/accept/humble/repent to this God, all 'sin' is now covered under God's grace. This makes the 10 Commandments unnecessary to now follow. You will break many of these 10, and the 600+ others, from time to time, and it will not matter. The concept of 'sin', and God telling you not to 'sin', now becomes pointless.

So why list them, if belief/repent is all that matters?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Savant

Post #50

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:30 pm ...If you believe/accept/humble/repent to this God, all 'sin' is now covered under God's grace. This makes the 10 Commandments unnecessary to now follow. ...
If all wrong doings would be ok, why would anyone repent? Only reason to repent is that person understand he has done wrongly and regrets it and does not want to do it again. And only way to know what to repent is to know the Law that tells what is wrong. This is why, God's commandments are not unnecessary, or meaningless.