Vaccines and Religion

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

Vaccines and Religion

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

A new report reveals that 1 in 10 Americans say that COVID-19 vaccines conflict with their religious belief:
1 in 10 Americans say the COVID-19 vaccine conflicts with their religious beliefs

Only 10% of Americans believe that getting a COVID-19 vaccine conflicts with their religious beliefs, and 59% of Americans say too many people are using religious beliefs as an excuse not to get vaccinated, a new survey from the Public Religion Research Institute (PRRI) and the Interfaith Youth Core (IFYC) shows.

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/09/10626553 ... exemptions
How could health care issues conflict with religious beliefs?

Were vaccines in the past rejected due to religious beliefs?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

bjs1
Sage

Re: Vaccines and Religion

Post #2

Post by bjs1 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #1]

This strikes me more as an excuse. There are those who have political objections to a vaccine who will then use religion as an excuse to justify it, since America does not offer a political exemption.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

Savant

Post #3

Post by 1213 »

Tcg wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:11 pm ...
One reason that I have heard of is that in the development of the vaccine, people used material from a baby that was aborted. Not only the abortion is problem, but the material was taken from the baby when he was still alive, which makes it very inhumane torture of a baby.

Second reason can be that some religious people don't want something injected to them that may cause DNA changes like the RNA vaccines basically do by making human cell to produce something that is not in human body normally.

I am against it, because I have seen no good reason to take it. And I am against mandatory vaccines, because I believe people were created to be free.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by nobspeople »

Tcg wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:11 pm .

A new report reveals that 1 in 10 Americans say that COVID-19 vaccines conflict with their religious belief:
1 in 10 Americans say the COVID-19 vaccine conflicts with their religious beliefs

Only 10% of Americans believe that getting a COVID-19 vaccine conflicts with their religious beliefs, and 59% of Americans say too many people are using religious beliefs as an excuse not to get vaccinated, a new survey from the Public Religion Research Institute (PRRI) and the Interfaith Youth Core (IFYC) shows.

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/09/10626553 ... exemptions

Were vaccines in the past rejected due to religious beliefs?

Tcg
I listen to a lot of podcasts and read a lot of articles throughout the day. I've heard this question asked so many times I've lost track. And, to date, no one has been able to offer a legitimate reason.
So, as said above, it's most likely more of an excuse than anything else.
I can see why people would be weary of this without falling back to the USA's protected religious exemption, thanks in part to a lack of understanding of the issue, fake news (I hate that term) and how, in this case, the USA has treated its citizens in the past.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Jehovah's Witnesses are NOT antivaxxers. Our leadership has STRONGLY encouraged us to take the Covid19 vaccines and has assured not to fear doing so.

See Press Release by Jehovahs Witnesss spokesman Nick CHOULOUTE
https://www.theexaminernews.com/jehovah ... cinations/

Source: https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesse ... munization

Tcg wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:11 pm How could health care issues conflict with religious beliefs?
That said, for us, our religion is not just a question of where we go in Sundays, it is about how we use our lives which encompasses what we do with our bodies . It is for this reason we recognise that bible law and principle regarding healthcare, abortion,sexual conduct, and the use of blood products (see below).

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES , BLOOD TRANSFUSIONS and ...VACCINES ,
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:53 pm, edited 12 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #6

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:46 pm
One reason that I have heard of is that in the development of the vaccine, people used material from a baby that was aborted. Not only the abortion is problem, but the material was taken from the baby when he was still alive, which makes it very inhumane torture of a baby.

Second reason can be that some religious people don't want something injected to them that may cause DNA changes like the RNA vaccines basically do by making human cell to produce something that is not in human body normally.

I am against it, because I have seen no good reason to take it. And I am against mandatory vaccines, because I believe people were created to be free.

Where did you hear that? I have never heard that one, either in accusations or in refutations.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by Athetotheist »

Research and development on covid vaccines has involved cells descended from abortive cells collected in the 1970's. Those cells are "immortalized", meaning that they can multiply indefinitely in culture (this means that fetal cell research does not increase the demand for abortions). The vaccines themselves do not contain fetal tissue, nor do the numerous other vaccines or over-the-counter medications which have been developed from the same type of research.

Covid vaccines do not alter DNA. They provide genetic material which gives instructions to cells on how to build up protection against the virus, but that material does not enter the nucleus of a cell, which is where the DNA is located.

And if you believe that "people were created to be free", how can you take a stance against premarital sex?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by nobspeople »

Athetotheist wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:35 am

Research and development on covid vaccines has involved cells descended from abortive cells collected in the 1970's. Those cells are "immortalized", meaning that they can multiply indefinitely in culture (this means that fetal cell research does not increase the demand for abortions). The vaccines themselves do not contain fetal tissue, nor do the numerous other vaccines or over-the-counter medications which have been developed from the same type of research.

Covid vaccines do not alter DNA. They provide genetic material which gives instructions to cells on how to build up protection against the virus, but that material does not enter the nucleus of a cell, which is where the DNA is located.

And if you believe that "people were created to be free", how can you take a stance against premarital sex?
I've found those that don't want to take vaccines will look to find 'evidence' (true or not) that they can use to justify their own choices. It's especially helpful when these people can find multiple 'issues' to bolster their stance:
it changes your DNA
it's from an aborted baby
it will nullify holy water
it will turn your soul to cheese
whatever they can find to justify it to themselves.

It seems when something is based on faith and not fact, it's quite easy to create your own world and live in it, ignoring reality.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Savant

Post #9

Post by 1213 »

Athetotheist wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:35 am ...
I think, it it instructs cells to produce something that is not in cells original instructions, I think it is altering DNA.
Athetotheist wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:35 am...And if you believe that "people were created to be free", how can you take a stance against premarital sex?
Why do you think I have done so? I would, if asked, recommend people to not have premarital sex, because I think it is better so, but people are on my behalf free to do as they want.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:20 am Where did you hear that? I have never heard that one, either in accusations or in refutations.
Sorry, I don't have time to find them and I think they were in Finnish.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to 1213 in post #9]
I think, it it instructs cells to produce something that is not in cells original instructions, I think it is altering DNA.
The cell's DNA is in its nucleus.

The genetic material of the vaccine does not enter the cell's nucleus.

It. Does. Not. Alter. DNA.
Why do you think I have done so? I would, if asked, recommend people to not have premarital sex, because I think it is better so, but people are on my behalf free to do as they want.
Given your oft-stated pro-Christian position, I assumed that you would be against premarital sex. If someone posted support for it here, I still assume that you would argue against that position.