"I shall be his father...."

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Athetotheist
Prodigy

"I shall be his father...."

Post #1

Post by Athetotheist »

"For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?" So asks the author of Hebrews 1:5. The argument being made is that Jesus, the supposed "Messiah", is higher than the angels because he has been given a greater name.

If this were to be refuted, where would the reader be expected to look for such refutation? The reader would look in scripture, right? If all scripture is inspired by God and profitable for doctrine (2 Tim. 3:16), that would be the go-to source.

"I shall be his father and he shall be my son." So is Jehovah quoted by the author of 2 Samuel 7:14. Who is the son in this verse whom the father is claiming? Solomon.

Applying the logic of Hebrews 1:5, when did Jehovah say at any time, "I will be his father and he will be my son" referring to the Messiah, since it's generally agreed that the Messiah wasn't Solomon?

(Note: trying to fit Solomon in as a "forerunner of the Messiah" doesn't work, since a messianic "forerunner" would still be a mere human and thus couldn't be given a name higher than that of the angels.)

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: "I shall be his father...."

Post #11

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Athetotheist wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:46 pm
How is the author saying anything about a "Solomon style promise" when he makes no mention of Solomon?
By quoting the promise made to Solomon at 2 Sam 7:14.

Athetotheist wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:46 pm
Did being given that "more excellent name" make Solomon better than the angels?
That "Solomon style promise" and nothing to do with angels, it and to do with becoming his"Father". What that "Father promise" would mean for each would be different, but it would be the same type of promise (to become a father)

To illustrate: A man adopts two children a boy and then girl. He makes the same promise to both, that although not being their biological father he will love and treat them both as if he were. Does this mean he will treat them both exactly the same? What if both children got married but, according to tradition, he only walked his DAUGHTER down the aisle ? Has he broken his promise to his son.

In the same way, the point is, God made a promise regarding Solomon, the writer of Hebrews points to the same type of promise made regarding Jesus, the Messiah. The promise was NOT to be made higher than angels, but to become a Father to them. How Jehovah would act would not be identical but the promise (to act like a Father) would apply to both.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

brunumb
Savant

Post #12

Post by brunumb »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:21 am
To illustrate: A man adopts two children a boy and then girl. He makes the same promise to both, that although not being their biological father he will love and treat them both as if he were. Does this mean he will treat them both exactly the same? What if both children got married but, according to tradition, he only walked his DAUGHTER down the aisle ? Has he broken his promise to his son.
Really? One would have to be really gullible if they were to accept that this example illustrates how the promise can be 'harmonised'.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #13

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #11]
Here's another illustration:

A man adopts an apprentice. By the adoption, the apprentice is now the man's son and inheritor. What "more excellent" name has the apprentice been given through inheritance? "Son". That's the implication in the Hebrews passage. The focus is on sonhood.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #14

Athetotheist wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:36 pm [Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #11]
Here's another illustration:

A man adopts an apprentice. By the adoption, the apprentice is now the man's son and inheritor. What "more excellent" name has the apprentice been given through inheritance? "Son". That's the implication in the Hebrews passage. The focus is on sonhood.
Do all sons have the same inheritance? Since Hebrews is quoting the same words to another "son", the question is pertinent. Your objection seems to be since Solomon had an inheritance as a son, why would the other son (the Messiah) get more?

Biblically that is just how it went, sons did not get the same inheritance.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Savant

Post #15

Post by 1213 »

Athetotheist wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:27 pm "For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?" So asks the author of Hebrews 1:5.....
..."I shall be his father and he shall be my son." So is Jehovah quoted by the author of 2 Samuel 7:14. Who is the son in this verse whom the father is claiming? Solomon. ...
By what I see, they are not exactly the same:

For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?
Hebrews 1:5

I will be his father, and he shall be my son. If he commit iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men, and with the stripes of the children of men:
2 Samuel 7:14

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #16

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to 1213 in post #15]
If he commit iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men, and with the stripes of the children of men:
This is another point to bring up, since it would have to be applied to the Messiah as well via Hebrews 1:5, but I've just been focusing on the "better than the angels" issue in this thread.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #17

Athetotheist wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:38 pm [Replying to 1213 in post #15]
If he commit iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men, and with the stripes of the children of men:
This is another point to bring up, since it would have to be applied to the Messiah as well via Hebrews 1:5, but I've just been focusing on the "better than the angels" issue in this thread.
Why? Did Hebrews apply the second part 2 Samuel 7:14 to Jesus?

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #18

Post by Athetotheist »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:06 am
Athetotheist wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:38 pm [Replying to 1213 in post #15]
Why? Did Hebrews apply the second part 2 Samuel 7:14 to Jesus?
If the first part of 2 Sam. 7:14 applies to Jesus ( Hebrews 1:5) and 2 Sam. 7:14 is scripture (2 Timothy 3:16) and scripture cannot be broken (John 10:35), then the second part of 2 Sam. 7:14 must apply to Jesus as well.

Savant

Post #19

Post by 1213 »

Athetotheist wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:53 am If the first part of 2 Sam. 7:14 applies to Jesus ( Hebrews 1:5) and 2 Sam. 7:14 is scripture (2 Timothy 3:16) and scripture cannot be broken (John 10:35), then the second part of 2 Sam. 7:14 must apply to Jesus as well.
This leads to question, why should 2 Sam. 7 be about Jesus?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #20

Athetotheist wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:53 am If the first part of 2 Sam. 7:14 applies to Jesus...then the second part ...must apply to Jesus as well.
Says WHO ?!