"I shall be his father...."

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Athetotheist
Prodigy

"I shall be his father...."

Post #1

Post by Athetotheist »

"For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?" So asks the author of Hebrews 1:5. The argument being made is that Jesus, the supposed "Messiah", is higher than the angels because he has been given a greater name.

If this were to be refuted, where would the reader be expected to look for such refutation? The reader would look in scripture, right? If all scripture is inspired by God and profitable for doctrine (2 Tim. 3:16), that would be the go-to source.

"I shall be his father and he shall be my son." So is Jehovah quoted by the author of 2 Samuel 7:14. Who is the son in this verse whom the father is claiming? Solomon.

Applying the logic of Hebrews 1:5, when did Jehovah say at any time, "I will be his father and he will be my son" referring to the Messiah, since it's generally agreed that the Messiah wasn't Solomon?

(Note: trying to fit Solomon in as a "forerunner of the Messiah" doesn't work, since a messianic "forerunner" would still be a mere human and thus couldn't be given a name higher than that of the angels.)

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: "I shall be his father...."

Post #31

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Athetotheist wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:04 am
No, I'm not. Jesus is contradicting Psalm 41:9.
So do you mean that you find it problematic partially quoting a passage and applying only the partially quoted passage in a particular way but not the part left out?

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Re: "I shall be his father...."

Post #32

Post by Athetotheist »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:16 am
Athetotheist wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:04 am
No, I'm not. Jesus is contradicting Psalm 41:9.
So do you mean that you find it problematic partially quoting a passage and applying only the partially quoted passage in a particular way but not the part left out?

JW
"I speak not of you all: I know whom I have chosen: but that the scripture may be fulfilled, He that eateth bread with me hath lifted up his heel against me."

The scripture being quoted (Psalm 41:9) is about a trusted friend. Jesus is taking part of it out of context to refer to someone he doesn't trust.

Scripture is "broken" [nullified] when it's made out to refer to someone to whom it doesn't refer.