God's best way

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

God's best way

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

What would be a deity's best way for communicating to the masses?

Let's take god:
Many claim god has always existed - before time and all that other mystical stuff (all knowing, all creating, etc).
Many claim god created everything that is.

So what would be this god's best way to communicate to, it seems, humanity in a clear, concise, way that would answer the asked questions that matter to humanity's eternal life?

Some say it's a book (the bible) yet, not all believers believe it's god's literal word, but more 'inspired' (which makes way, they seem to think, for the errors, contradictions (all of which have been spoken about on here numerous times - no need to list them here for this discussion)).

Some say god speaks to them directly, but you can't get a consensus on everyone; some say god says ABC while others say god says 123.

Some say it's through nature, yet not everyone sees god in nature; some cultures see other gods in nature - or no god at all.

Maybe it's through mathematics, but not everyone in history is a math wiz (some people couldn't do even remotely complicated math that would seem to be the basis - cornerstone - of mathematics).

Maybe it's through song, but that seems to be more of a human construct for their own entertainment and spiritual awareness than any communication from any god (especially some music :shock: ).

So while it can be said people hear god 'in their own way', that opens it up for erroneous communication.

For discussion
So what's the best, fool proof way for god to talk to humanity and why isn't god doing it (or is god doing it and humans don't hear it)?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Savant

Re: God's best way

Post #11

Post by 1213 »

Miles wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:40 pm ...
And where do people find these scriptures? THE BIBLE. And what is your evidence, like hard evidence and not mere speculation, that "people tend to take few scriptures out of the Bible and then form a religion around them"? From what I've seen of various denominations they've ransacked the Bible for every tidbit of scripture they can in order to construct their particular faith.
The evidence is the different sects. It is not possible to have them, if they all would take the whole Bible and not just some parts of it that fit to their own desires.

Tcg
Savant

Post #12

Post by Tcg »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:51 am
Tcg wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:59 am
nobspeople wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:01 pm
So what's the best, fool proof way for god to talk to humanity and why isn't god doing it (or is god doing it and humans don't hear it)?
Well, wouldn't that be it? God talking to humanity. He/she supposedly is still alive, so why has he/she gone totally mute?

Tcg
Some would say god is talking directly to them. There have been many 'church leaders' who made such claims throughout the years. Sometimes, it even permeates down to the layperson of the church.
Most who say this don't mean that god literal talks to them audibly. I'm referring to literal speaking that can be and is heard by a number of people all at the same time. A Q and A afterwards would be helpful as well given that humans can understand messages very differently.
That makes me wonder: if god is talking directly to people, why are there so many different opinions about the same things? Surely god would be telling each person the same thing, no?

That's the rub isn't it. Unless god is some trickster who intends to confuse, you'd expect the same message would be told to all.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Miles
Savant

Post #13

Post by Miles »

1213 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:40 pm
And where do people find these scriptures? THE BIBLE. And what is your evidence, like hard evidence and not mere speculation, that "people tend to take few scriptures out of the Bible and then form a religion around them"? From what I've seen of various denominations they've ransacked the Bible for every tidbit of scripture they can in order to construct their particular faith.
The evidence is the different sects. It is not possible to have them, if they all would take the whole Bible and not just some parts of it that fit to their own desires.
Come, come, now. Not for a minute do I believe you or your denomination hasn't cherry picked the Bible so as to conform to your theology. Either

Genesis 32:30
“… I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.”

is correct or

John 1:18
“No man hath seen God at any time…”

is. They both can't be correct because they're mutually exclusive statements. Of course this doesn't mean that Christians haven't gone to ridiculous steps to explain away the contradiction, but their tortured efforts in such cases are typically more amusing than anywhere close to being convincing. Apologetics can only be taken so far before it starts making a fool of the enterprise.

Savant

Post #14

Post by 1213 »

Miles wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:26 am ....cherry picked the Bible so as to conform to your theology. Either
is correct or
I think you demonstrate nicely why cherry picking is not good. If you would not have done so, you would have seen:

Jacob was left alone, and wrestled with a man there until the breaking of the day.
Gen. 32:24

As you may now see, it was actually a man who wrestled with Jacob. The word "god" in that is "elohim", which can mean also an angel, ruler or judge. Angels can be called men in the Bible. And the story tells they had seen angels before the wrestling.

Jacob went on his way, and the angels of God met him.
Gen. 32:1

This means, if we take all what is said, Jacob wrestled with someone who could have been called "elohim". And because it was a man, it was not the one and only true God.

God is not a man, ...
Num. 23:19

Miles
Savant

Post #15

Post by Miles »

1213 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:17 pm
Miles wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:26 am ....cherry picked the Bible so as to conform to your theology. Either
is correct or
I think you demonstrate nicely why cherry picking is not good. If you would not have done so, you would have seen:

Jacob was left alone, and wrestled with a man there until the breaking of the day.

As you may now see, it was actually a man who wrestled with Jacob. The word "god" in that is "elohim", which can mean also an angel, ruler or judge. Angels can be called men in the Bible. And the story tells they had seen angels before the wrestling.

Jacob went on his way, and the angels of God met him.
Gen. 32:1

This means, if we take all what is said, Jacob wrestled with someone who could have been called "elohim". And because it was a man, it was not the one and only true God.

God is not a man, ...
Num. 23:19
Interestingly enough, quite a few Bibles (XXX) bluntly disagree with you. They title the scriptural section, from Gen.32: 24 (or 22) - 32 "The Fight With God" (ERV), or "Jacob Wrestles with God" (ESV)(HCSB)(TLV)(LEB)(MEV)(NIV), or "Jacob’s Fourth Encounter with God—He Wrestles with God" (GW), or "Jacob Struggles with God" (ISV), and so on.

brunumb
Savant

Post #16

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:17 pm Jacob was left alone, and wrestled with a man there until the breaking of the day.
How does one wrestle with a man after being left alone?
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #17

Post by nobspeople »

brunumb wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:59 pm
1213 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:17 pm Jacob was left alone, and wrestled with a man there until the breaking of the day.
How does one wrestle with a man after being left alone?
Maybe his childhood, made up friend, grew up and paid him a visit?
Maybe 'wrestle' means man-on-man sex, like parents tell their kids when caught in the act?
Or maybe Jake got into so 'special plant' and was simply 'living in his own world', as it were (puff puff pass)?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #18

Post by TRANSPONDER »

:D But tat's what all these different denominations with different views, say. They all believe that THEY are the only ones that understand the Scriptures correctly. Just to take one religion, two main Christian sects, plus another half dozen splinter - isms, plus various Doctrines and Dogmas and never mid different things taught by half the churches. Don't you see how ludicrous it is for any one member of a denomination, sect or individual Dogma to claim that They have interpreted the Bible right and all the others are false prophets?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #19

Post by nobspeople »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:05 am
:D But tat's what all these different denominations with different views, say. They all believe that THEY are the only ones that understand the Scriptures correctly. Just to take one religion, two main Christian sects, plus another half dozen splinter - isms, plus various Doctrines and Dogmas and never mid different things taught by half the churches. Don't you see how ludicrous it is for any one member of a denomination, sect or individual Dogma to claim that They have interpreted the Bible right and all the others are false prophets?
One that's not been indoctrinated with dogma and lives could see that easily. Unfortunately, these people tend to be the ones making the 'I'm right' claims.
It's, at the very best, circular reasoning.

Savant

Post #20

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:05 am ...Don't you see how ludicrous it is for any one member of a denomination, sect or individual Dogma to claim that They have interpreted the Bible right and all the others are false prophets?
I think Bible doesn't need to be interpret at all. And about if people have understood differently, I think that is because they have not noticed everything crucial for the issue. But, to understand this well, we should perhaps have one example to show how the difference can come.