Why are American atheists a bunch of white guys?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

historia
Prodigy

Why are American atheists a bunch of white guys?

Post #1

Post by historia »

According to Pew: Americans who identify as atheist are 68% men and 78% white.

American Christians, by comparison, are 48% men and 66% white, which is nearly identical to the national average.

Questions for debate:

Why are American atheists disproportionately male?

Why are American atheists disproportionately white?
Last edited by historia on Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2ndpillar2
Sage

Re: Do you even atheism, bro?

Post #2

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

historia wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:29 pm According to Pew: Americans who identify as atheist are 68% men and 78% white.

American Christians, by comparison, are 48% men and 66% white, which is nearly identical to the national average.

Questions for debate:

Female "atheist" are often feminist, and don't align with men, and often call themselves witches. They actually have a god, as atheist actually have gods, and apparently it is the devil, who apparently lives on the moon, for they often howl at the moon. They just are not interested in a law giving God. They are more into housekeeping, as they often carry brooms, probably to clean up after the orgies they make up in their minds.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Re: Why are American atheists a bunch of white guys?

Post #3

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to historia in post #1]
My guess is that it's a hand-me-down from the "Enlightenment thinking" which sprang up in Europe. It isn't really about "white"-ness so much as about a particular historical phenomenon.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Athetotheist »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:38 pm
historia wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:29 pm According to Pew: Americans who identify as atheist are 68% men and 78% white.

Questions for debate:

Female "atheist" are often feminist, and don't align with men, and often call themselves witches. They actually have a god, as atheist actually have gods, and apparently it is the devil, who apparently lives on the moon, for they often howl at the moon. They just are not interested in a law giving God. They are more into housekeeping, as they often carry brooms, probably to clean up after the orgies they make up in their minds.
People who call themselves witches are typically Wiccans.

Atheists don't have gods; that's what makes them atheists.

Wiccans honor Pagan deities, but what makes it "apparent" that any of them is "the devil"? (I've met numerous Wiccans and I've never known any of them to "howl at the moon".)

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

They actually have a god, as atheist actually have gods...
No, we don't. But in a thread designed to misrepresent atheists it's not surprising to find a post misrepresenting atheists.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #6

Post by Tcg »

Athetotheist wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:46 pm
Atheists don't have gods; that's what makes them atheists.
Indeed, odd that so many have difficulty understanding this astonishingly clear reality.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

Athetotheist wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:35 pm [Replying to historia in post #1]
My guess is that it's a hand-me-down from the "Enlightenment thinking" which sprang up in Europe. It isn't really about "white"-ness so much as about a particular historical phenomenon.
My guess is that we have examined the current claims for god/gods and found them totally lacking.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #8

Post by TRANSPONDER »

I don't know the answer to that. I would prefer that it wasn't the case. There are some very fine female atheist presenters (regulars on atheist experience] and I have seen some good videos from black deconverts or doubters at least, male an female. They are there and I just wish there was more scope for them to be given more air time outside their own site.

They say you can't herd cats. Which may be why we (atheists) seem poor at getting Organized. I had hopes that the 'Nones' could become an organisation, not just a Demographic. National, branches in counties, and even Global, and don't we need it. But it all seems to have vanished.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by Difflugia »

historia wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:29 pmWhy are American atheists disproportionately male?

Considering some of the other things that correlate with atheism like higher education (mentioned at the page you linked) and higher income (addressed by another Pew study), I suspect that the correlation with white men is based on social and economic privilege rather than something innate that somehow gives white men a keener insight into the nature of religion. I'd guess that controlling for things like education level would cause much of the race and gender gap to disappear.

If we want atheism to be more representative, the answer is to increase overall access to education and decrease income disparities based on gender and race.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #10

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

Tcg wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:39 am
They actually have a god, as atheist actually have gods...
No, we don't. But in a thread designed to misrepresent atheists it's not surprising to find a post misrepresenting atheists.

Tcg
You are your own god and set yourself up as your own moral authority. That you can't recognize that says a lot.