Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Does god have morals?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Morality is highly subjective to time and geography as well as the individual:
some say stealing is immoral while others make exceptions for what's stolen and the reason;
some say being gay is immoral while others say it's only the act while others say neither is immoral and still others say it's immoral (or at least unacceptable when it's men with men, but not women with women);
at one point, some said it immoral to marry a different race when today, it's mostly seen as a non-issue.
The list continues, but you get the point.

This makes me wonder if god is moral?
The quick answer is either yes (normally said by the faithful because that's what they're supposed to say) or no (mostly by 'the others'). But isn't that judging god's actions by human standards?
What if god has its own moral code, different from humanity's? After all, god didn't think it immoral to wipe out a whole city or drown 99.99% of the population (including babies and women in the middle of giving birth - what did those babies do to you, o god?!?!) as well as almost all living land animals. And god didn't see it immoral to kill various armies in the bible.

For discussion:
Is god, by human standards, moral or no?
Or does god have its own moral code which we can't access?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Savant

Re: Does god have morals?

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:14 am ...After all, god didn't think it immoral to wipe out a whole city or drown 99.99% of the population (including babies and women in the middle of giving birth - what did those babies do to you, o god?!?!) as well as almost all living land animals. And god didn't see it immoral to kill various armies in the bible.

For discussion:
Moral seems to be just a subjective opinion. However, if we believe what the Bible tells, God has given life. That means, He has the right to decide how long life He gives. He doesn't have any moral obligation to give more than what He gives. If you disagree, please tell why should He give more?

But, by what the Bible tells, God's moral, or idea of what is good and right is based on love. All the commandments can be seen to come to "love your neighbor as yourself". I think that is also God's own standard. That leads to question, what loving means, does it accept all evilness, or does it make end to it at some point. I believe and hope that love ends all evil at some point. But, I think it is nice that God is patient.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by Purple Knight »

It's possible morality as it's being described here is only for people, because people have limited information.

Arguably if you had all the information you wouldn't need morality. Just do what is actually best. No need to avoid killing people; kill whoever needs killing. You could do this as a limited being but you might make a mistake, and commit evil. Rules can limit the available mistakes, whereas chaos isn't good for anybody.

This doesn't prove God isn't a pure sadist, hurting us all for his personal glee, just that to be good, he doesn't need rules, so at that point why have them? Just do what is best each time.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Do you want opinions, no matter what its based on or only those based in science?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:59 pm Do you want opinions, no matter what its based on or only those based in science?
As morality is not a science, and there's no proof even god exists, opinions seem to be apt, no?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #6

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:21 pm
nobspeople wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:14 am ...After all, god didn't think it immoral to wipe out a whole city or drown 99.99% of the population (including babies and women in the middle of giving birth - what did those babies do to you, o god?!?!) as well as almost all living land animals. And god didn't see it immoral to kill various armies in the bible.

For discussion:
Moral seems to be just a subjective opinion. However, if we believe what the Bible tells, God has given life. That means, He has the right to decide how long life He gives. He doesn't have any moral obligation to give more than what He gives. If you disagree, please tell why should He give more?

But, by what the Bible tells, God's moral, or idea of what is good and right is based on love. All the commandments can be seen to come to "love your neighbor as yourself". I think that is also God's own standard. That leads to question, what loving means, does it accept all evilness, or does it make end to it at some point. I believe and hope that love ends all evil at some point. But, I think it is nice that God is patient.
:D It's always refreshing to have a Christian bite the bullet and say that 'Whatever God says, is good. Even if it's plainly Bad'.
Purple Knight wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:00 pm It's possible morality as it's being described here is only for people, because people have limited information.

Arguably if you had all the information you wouldn't need morality. Just do what is actually best. No need to avoid killing people; kill whoever needs killing. You could do this as a limited being but you might make a mistake, and commit evil. Rules can limit the available mistakes, whereas chaos isn't good for anybody.

This doesn't prove God isn't a pure sadist, hurting us all for his personal glee, just that to be good, he doesn't need rules, so at that point why have them? Just do what is best each time.
Yes. Nobody could claim that was perfect or even workable, but as a moral basis and objective, what is best for humanity is clear enough as an objective basis for morality, never mind better than what the Cosmic Dictator orders.
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:59 pm Do you want opinions, no matter what its based on or only those based in science?
Yes, I guess we do need opinions. This is because morality is more to do with philosophy than Science. Indeed it's been observed that science is amoral - it is about facts, never mind how wre feel about them. One might say that morals is about feelings, never mind what the facts are. :D This is why what would make coldly logical sense is Not acceptable because it is immoral and offends our sense of right and wrong.

Ah..... ;) so where does our sense of right and wrong come from? Well it comes from a mix of empathy and reason. Empathy is a natural evolved social instinct, but Reasoning allows humans (if not other primates) to apply it to others. That's how I'd feel - so how does She feel? Thus the golden rule, reciprocity and the administration of law codes comes to ensure those who don't care how others feel are made to respect others' right.

It is my assertion and Dogma that Religion has Hi -jacked human morality and pretended that they should take the credit for it and more, they assert that without religion, we would have no morality.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #6]
It is my assertion and Dogma that Religion has Hi -jacked human morality and pretended that they should take the credit for it and more, they assert that without religion, we would have no morality.
Why do you think this is/has happened? As a means to control? To become a power/authority figure? Religion is totally correct in this? Or is there another reason IYO?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #8

Post by TRANSPONDER »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:37 am [Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #6]
Why do you think this is/has happened? As a means to control? To become a power/authority figure? Religion is totally correct in this? Or is there another reason IYO?
I'm sure it is a social control -mechanism and is evolved -instinctive, too. This is why rulership, politics, Authority and religion are all joined at the hip..(yes, :D that Is possible) and is the key to understanding human society, authority and law codes. I don't believe there is a dictator, Junta or Theocracy in history that has said to themselves: 'This is evolved primate behaviour' (1) or would be bothered if they did. Get to the top, eliminate competition, help yourself to the best and hang on to power as long as you can. That's primate instinct.

Philosophy, morality, rationality, and probably something else ending in 'Y' has pushed human socio -political ethics to a level further beyond what evolution would have us able to do as the Hubble telescope and Cern has told us more than evolution ever intended humnoids to know. "Huhh Ugg see lighting burn tree, stick stick in fire. Stick burn, Ugg take burning stick to cave. Ugg stick stick in brother's face. Ugg get rid of brother. Ugg take brother's girl..." There are some tie, cap, crown, mitre or boot -wearing humanids that haven't evolved far beyond that.

(12) non -American spelling as this would NEVER be American behavior.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #9

Post by JehovahsWitness »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:29 am
As morality is not a science, and there's no proof even god exists, opinions seem to be apt, no?
Okay just checking what you are asking for. Just to make it clear my opinions are based on the bible* may I still share them ?
* NOTE :
Of course it is permissible to mention the bible in this sub-forum. [...] See LINK for details: viewtopic.php?p=1050358#p1050358
I am ONLY mentioning the bible to show what Christianity says in line with subforum guidelines, not to prove that a statement or story therein is true. ​I am not presenting the bible as authorative or proof of truth and have no intention to add an argument to that end in this subforum See LINK for details: viewtopic.php?p=1058158#p1058158

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:37 am
nobspeople wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:29 am
Okay just checking what you are asking for. Just to make it clear my opinions are based on the bible* may I still share them ?
* NOTE :
Of course it is permissible to mention the bible in this sub-forum. [...] See LINK for details: viewtopic.php?p=1050358#p1050358
I am ONLY mentioning the bible to show what Christianity says in line with subforum guidelines, not to prove that a statement or story therein is true. ​I am not presenting the bible as authorative or proof of truth and have no intention to add an argument to that end in this subforum See LINK for details: viewtopic.php?p=1058158#p1058158

JW
I don't make the rules on this site.
As far as I'm concerned you can share anything (or nothing) just be prepared for both agreements/approvals and or disagreements/challenges.