Leaving the faith for societal reasons acceptable or is there another way?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Leaving the faith for societal reasons acceptable or is there another way?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Kudos to him!
https://www.yahoo.com/news/mormon-billi ... 58255.html

If you disagree with your faith's views on things like women's rights, LGBTQ+ issues, race issues, etc., is this the best thing to do, or is there another way you can stay in your faith (rather or not you stay in your 'church') and still be a champion to these issues, or is this the best way?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Tcg
Savant

Re: Leaving the faith for societal reasons acceptable or is there another way?

Post #11

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:41 am
Tcg wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:23 am [
But there is a big price to pay when one recognizes they were mistaking about accepting the teachings of JWs or other Christian sects that practice shunning or excommunication or whatever it is that JWs call shunning.
If by that you are implying that Jehovahs Witnesses shun/ disfellowship members because they choose to leave our religion that is incorrect.
First off, your religion is Christianity. JWism is not a separate religion but rather a branch, one amongst many, of Christianity. And no, I did not imply that your branch of Christianity disfellowships (what an odd tern) those who choose to leave your branch of Christianity.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #12

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Tcg wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:48 am ... no, I did not imply that your branch of Christianity disfellowships (what an odd tern) those who choose to leave your branch of Christianity.

Line 1: Excellent. Thank you for posting that.

Line 2: I have come across people that mistakenly believe that is JW policy.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Tcg
Savant

Post #13

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:04 am
Tcg wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:48 am ... no, I did not imply that your branch of Christianity disfellowships (what an odd tern) those who choose to leave your branch of Christianity.

You are the one who has introduced what you are claiming is a mistaken belief.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #14

Tcg wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:08 am

Tcg

Line 1: Yes I did.

Line 2: The issue I raised has now been settled.

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Tcg
Savant

Post #15

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:15 am
Tcg wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:08 am

Tcg

Line 1: Yes I did.

Line 2: The issue I raised has now been settled.
Line 3: Please verify that it has been settled.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #16

1213 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:51 pm
nobspeople wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:02 am ...If you disagree with your faith's views on things like women's rights, LGBTQ+ issues, race issues, etc., is this the best thing to do, or is there another way you can stay in your faith (rather or not you stay in your 'church') and still be a champion to these issues, or is this the best way?
I would also resign from a group that I don't agree with.
Yes that seems to me like the obvious course of action. Imho, one should of course not join at all until one is aware of the groups religious teachings but if it takes a turn on fundamentals which one cannot support, one solution would be to leave.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

RELATED POSTS

What should I do if I am unhappy with my religion ?
viewtopic.php?p=1060640#p1060640

How can a person find religious truth?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 83#p795583

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES , CHRISTIANITY and ...RELIGIOUS TRUTH
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #17

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:06 am
1213 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:51 pm
nobspeople wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:02 am ...If you disagree with your faith's views on things like women's rights, LGBTQ+ issues, race issues, etc., is this the best thing to do, or is there another way you can stay in your faith (rather or not you stay in your 'church') and still be a champion to these issues, or is this the best way?
I would also resign from a group that I don't agree with.
Yes that seems to me like the obvious course of action. Imho, one should of course not join at all until one is aware of the groups religious teachings but if it takes a turn on fundamentals which one cannot support, one solution would be to leave.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES , CHRISTIANITY and ...RELIGIOUS TRUTH
Or...maybe they should join and try to change that particular POV(s)?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #18

nobspeople wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:59 am
Yes that is of course another option although it seems somewhat "underhanded" to join a religion that with the sole purpose of changing it. I say "underhanded" since I would imagine few groups would permit a person that openly admitted such motives to join in the first place (that certainly would be the case for my own). In short I imagine such a strategy would demand a certain degree of duplicity.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #19

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:57 am
nobspeople wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:59 am
Yes that is of course another option although it seems somewhat "underhanded" to join a religion that with the sole purpose of changing it. I say "underhanded" since I would imagine few groups would permit a person that opening admitted such motives to join in the first place. That certainly would be the case for my own.
One's 'underhand-ness' is another's attempt at bettering, maybe. After all, it's all about beliefs and faith, not data and facts. Beliefs can change over time.
I'd think if an organization is set on 'finding the truth' and the like they'd be open to potential changes - christianity today isn't what it was when it started (ie changed).
After all, it's rather pompous (IMO) for an organization to say they and only they know the real truth as religions and beliefs are about learning and bettering one's self (or should be I suspect) as well as pleasing their god and, in some cased, getting an eternal reward (and some cases, punishing those that disagree openly).
Belief is a powerful thing that makes some people do some....interesting things

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #20

nobspeople wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:02 pm Beliefs can change over time. I'd think if an organization is set on 'finding the truth' and the like they'd be open to potential changes...
Yes absolutely, but one usually joins a religion as it stands at the moment of joining. If one disagree with what said group views as the fundamental tenets of the faith then it would be honest to say so and see if they still will accept you. Or wait until it comes around to your view. Anyway, if all is fair in love, war and religion it comes down to to making whatever choices one is comfortable with.