Aliens and god - how would we react?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Aliens and god - how would we react?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Seems NASA has 'hired' (some say 'enlisted') some theologians to study how humanity would react to knowing we're not alone in the universe.
https://nypost.com/2021/12/27/nasa-hire ... iens-book/
https://futurism.com/the-byte/nasa-priests-aliens
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolo ... ar-AAS7KE3

For discussion:
1) How would knowing other life exists off planet impact (in this case) christianity (or will it)?
2) How would knowing other life exists off planet impact the general public?
3) How would knowing other life exists off planet impact your own personal view of god?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Savant

Re: Aliens and god - how would we react?

Post #11

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:50 am ...It's funny how people see things they want to see....
Which is more likely: a powerful, technologically advanced mortal being or a spiritual being with 'magical' powers?
I agree that people often see what they want to see, and don't see things they don't want to see. However, that does not mean everything they see is then automatically wrong because of that.

But, I believe NASA will "reveal aliens" at some point. If that happens, do you believe what they say, or are you skeptical about it? Why not?

I think "magic" is only "science" that people don't understand. And I think pure science is good. But, it is interesting how close "science" is to superstition, or ancient cults nowadays. For example the Covid, one is not allowed to question the official narrative of it. Anthony Fauci, who apparently thinks he is the science, is like a cult leader that people should believe without any doubt and people must have faith and believe what the Covid cult representatives say. One example that comes to my mind, about "science" cult, is also the CERN. Its logo has 666, it is apparently built on top of ancient temple of Apollyon, it has Shiva statue on its yard and weird occultist looking promotion videos. Which is more likely, them being scientists, or them representing some weird cult? Do you see science in Shiva?

brunumb
Savant

Post #12

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:05 pm Which is more likely, them being scientists, or them representing some weird cult?
It is more likely that they are scientists and that everything else you quoted amounts to highly imaginative and ridiculous drivel.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

tam
Savant

Post #13

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
nobspeople wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:32 am Seems NASA has 'hired' (some say 'enlisted') some theologians to study how humanity would react to knowing we're not alone in the universe.

For discussion:
1) How would knowing other life exists off planet impact (in this case) christianity (or will it)?
3) How would knowing other life exists off planet impact your own personal view of god?
I imagine "Christianity" (the religion) would adapt, form new sects, lose some sects, etc. I don't know how to answer number 2. As for myself, things would just get a bit bigger. Much like when an isolated village realizes there are other peoples in the land, then they all realize there are more peoples across the ocean, and then on many other continents, etc. Instead of there being life only on one land, or one continent, or one planet, our knowledge of life would expand to it being on other planets. It would just be a matter of expanded geography and population. I already accept that animals are spirit as well as humans, so the whole 'soul' thing is not an issue.

Granted, I don't think there is life (at least not "intelligent" life out on other planets; I don't know about the rest). There are other species though in existence, as 1213 also suggested, extra-terrestrial/extra-dimensional beings. Seraphs (spirit beings, what most just call 'angels'). And of course God and His Son, who are spirit beings themselves.

So what some see as aliens (and what some might have experienced, if that experience was indeed real), I might instead see seraphs/angels.

Peace again to you all.
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

mgb
Guru

Post #14

Post by mgb »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:32 am
For discussion:

I don't see how it should have much effect.
The key word is division. Everyone would be arguing with everyone because of the reputation aliens have; abducting people, raping them etc. There have been many films presenting aliens as saviors and as demons. What should we believe?
The pope would have to make a statement, likewise the Dali Lama, the president, Joe Soap. And all these statement would cause division because some would believe they are angels, others demons.
It hasn't.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by nobspeople »

tam wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:34 pm Peace to you,
nobspeople wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:32 am Seems NASA has 'hired' (some say 'enlisted') some theologians to study how humanity would react to knowing we're not alone in the universe.

For discussion:
I imagine "Christianity" (the religion) would adapt, form new sects, lose some sects, etc. I don't know how to answer number 2. As for myself, things would just get a bit bigger. Much like when an isolated village realizes there are other peoples in the land, then they all realize there are more peoples across the ocean, and then on many other continents, etc. Instead of there being life only on one land, or one continent, or one planet, our knowledge of life would expand to it being on other planets. It would just be a matter of expanded geography and population. I already accept that animals are spirit as well as humans, so the whole 'soul' thing is not an issue.

Granted, I don't think there is life (at least not "intelligent" life out on other planets; I don't know about the rest). There are other species though in existence, as 1213 also suggested, extra-terrestrial/extra-dimensional beings. Seraphs (spirit beings, what most just call 'angels'). And of course God and His Son, who are spirit beings themselves.

So what some see as aliens (and what some might have experienced, if that experience was indeed real), I might instead see seraphs/angels.

Peace again to you all.
Perception is key. And perception is biased. What some see as aliens others see an angels, as you indicated. To me, that's a way to make the senseless make sense.
People though thunder was god bowling at one time.
To me, it makes more sense to think there's intelligent, mortal life out there than some angel or mythical god, per popular christian ideology. And for me, I've had the ability to live in 'both' the christian world and non-christian world. To me, having bias of both side, mortal, intelligent life makes so much more sense than an immortal deity and its minions.
I would agree that christianity would, in some fashion, adapt. It's easy to do when you have a belief system that has little to no facts on which to base itself. This creates a malleable belief system that can be twisted and amended to literally almost any fashion.
Which is highly convenient and likely what 1) so many like christianity and 2) why there's so many sect of it throughout history.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #16

Post by nobspeople »

mgb wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:54 am
nobspeople wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:32 am
For discussion:

I don't see how it should have much effect.
The key word is division. Everyone would be arguing with everyone because of the reputation aliens have; abducting people, raping them etc. There have been many films presenting aliens as saviors and as demons. What should we believe?
The pope would have to make a statement, likewise the Dali Lama, the president, Joe Soap. And all these statement would cause division because some would believe they are angels, others demons.
It hasn't.
You point of social influence is a good one to make. People tend to believe the masses and or what makes the most sense to their lifestyle - even in the face of irrefutable proof.
Thanks for the response.