Reasons to get to heaven

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Reasons to get to heaven

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

I was told by some, the main reason one should want to get to heaven is so they can praise god for eternity.
Is this correct? God seems to be needy and wants all attention focused on (You shall not make for yourselves an idol, nor any image of anything that is in the heavens above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: you shall not bow yourself down to them, nor serve them, for I, Yahweh your God, am a jealous God...)
So it seems that this thinking of praising god forever is apt.
But is it?
Many will say 'I will see [insert dead loved one's name here] soon/on the other side/etc'
It seems these people want to socialize with those they've lost, making heaven an elite social club. Add if the city is, indeed, gold-like (or of gold: “The great street of the city was of gold, as pure as transparent glass”) that seems apt (guess even god loves gold - you'd have thunk it?!?).

So who's correct: those that say heaven is a place to kiss god's... feet... or a place to see dead loved ones?

For discussion: What's the literal, physical characteristics of heaven and what will happen to those that make it there?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Savant

Re: Reasons to get to heaven

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:42 am I was told by some, the main reason one should want to get to heaven is so they can praise god for eternity.
Is this correct? ...
I believe it is more like what the Bible tells.

for the Kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit.
Romans 14:17

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:42 am For discussion: What's the literal, physical characteristics of heaven and what will happen to those that make it there?
Biblically*, heaven is not a physical place but a spiritual realm.

... and what will happen to those that make it there?

They will, accordinng to scripture, make up a new global government to rule over the inhabitants of the earth.

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

HEAVEN , THE 144, 000 and ... THE MILLENIUM
* I am ONLY mentioning the bible to show what Christianity says in line with subforum guidelines, not to prove that a statement or story therein is true. ​I am not presenting the bible as authorative or proof of truth and have no intention to add an argument to that end in this subforum See LINKS for details: viewtopic.php?p=213491#p213491
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by JoeyKnothead »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:21 pm
nobspeople wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:42 am For discussion: What's the literal, physical characteristics of heaven and what will happen to those that make it there?
Biblically, heaven is not a physical place but a spiritual realm.

... and what will happen to those that make it there?
They will, accordinng to scripture, make up a new global government to rule over the inhabitants of the earth.
Well dangitall.

It ain't enough be busy bodies here on Earth, they gonna try to do it from Heaven too.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by JoeyKnothead »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:42 am I was told by some, the main reason one should want to get to heaven is so they can praise god for eternity.
God's got god issues.
Is this correct?
As with things religious, it's all 'proven' after you're dead.
God seems to be needy
Needier'n a paraplegic in a hog rasslin match.
and wants all attention focused on (You shall not make for yourselves an idol, nor any image of anything that is in the heavens above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: you shall not bow yourself down to them, nor serve them, for I, Yahweh your God, am a jealous God...)
And don't it beat all, jealousy is one of them real bad sins that'll get ya in real bad trouble.
So it seems that this thinking of praising god forever is apt.
But is it?
Parently, and that makes Trump the second coming.
Many will say 'I will see [insert dead loved one's name here] soon/on the other side/etc'
It seems these people want to socialize with those they've lost, making heaven an elite social club. Add if the city is, indeed, gold-like (or of gold: “The great street of the city was of gold, as pure as transparent glass”) that seems apt (guess even god loves gold - you'd have thunk it?!?).
I never hear em carry on about the great barbecue. The existence of such Heaven is therefore doubtful.
So who's correct: those that say heaven is a place to kiss god's... feet... or a place to see dead loved ones?
It's to watch dead loved ones kissing God's feet? I ain't kissing me no foot, unless it's the pretty thing tells me to, and even then, she's gotta wash it first.
For discussion: What's the literal,
1 each, individual, dream, pipe.
physical characteristics of heaven
and what will happen to those that make it there?
They'll be furious to find out here's the one religious claim that can be shown to be true, but now that they're dead, they can't get logged here into the site.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

brunumb
Savant

Post #6

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:05 pm
Is this correct? ...
I believe it is more like what the Bible tells.

for the Kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit.
Romans 14:17
That might explain why there are even devout Christians who are in no hurry to shuffle off this mortal coil.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Savant

Post #7

Post by 1213 »

brunumb wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:37 am That might explain why there are even devout Christians who are in no hurry to shuffle off this mortal coil.
Do you mean that "devout Christians" don't want "righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit"?

brunumb
Savant

Post #8

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:38 pm
brunumb wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:37 am That might explain why there are even devout Christians who are in no hurry to shuffle off this mortal coil.
Do you mean that "devout Christians" don't want "righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit"?
I'm sure even devout Christians could recognise a thoroughly boring eternal existence when they see it.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #9

Post by benchwarmer »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

Apparently one also has a view of the torture of those who didn't make it. Kind of a 'royal viewing gallery' as it were. So while you are not busy kissing ... feet ..., playing your harp, or endlessly droning on about how great God is you can be reminded of your friends and loved ones that failed to believe:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV
The Rich Man and Lazarus
19 “There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20 At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21 and longing to eat what fell from the rich man’s table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.

22 “The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24 So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’

25 “But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’
Sounds great ... not.

I would much rather it (if it exists) be a place where EVERYONE makes it and upon so doing, are given the full picture and realize all the mistakes that we have made. We can then spend eternity getting to know everyone when they all have the full information about everything. One big party. No feet kissing necessary (unless you are into that sorta thing and then have at it).

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #10

Post by TRANSPONDER »

I may have done this before, more than once, but I have in the past designed my ideal Afterlife - assuming for soa that an atheist would get one. But even then I had the nagging worry that how long would it be before one got bored with it. After all this is Eternity we're talking about. And that's a bespoke heaven with everything you want, not a grovelling slavery decreed for you by God.

"Ho Ho Abdul you idiot, did you Really think you'd spend your afterlife under a shady palm eating grapes and drinking the wine you were forbidden while being fanned by houris in a tinfoil brassire? No, you will worship and grovel forever!" And the same with all the religions with afterlifes. I decided that Oblivion is the best option and oblivion was all that a god could give you that would be endurable for eternity. It's why Hellthreat has no traction on this atheist and heaven no promise.