Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Realworldjack
Guru

Is Atheism Simply a Lack of Belief?

Post #1

Post by Realworldjack »

From another thread,
An atheist, by definition is someone who lacks belief in a god or gods. Full stop.
So, I'm sort of confused, and was wondering if I may get some help here? Can anyone explain the above quote to me? From the same thread we read,
Lack of belief is quite clearly not a belief.
Is the above quote suggesting, Atheists simply lack belief in god, but do not insist there would be no god?

I am honestly asking these questions in order to get a better understanding, because I do not believe all Atheists would identify with the above. In other words, I believe there are folks who are firmly convinced there are no gods. If the folks who are firmly convinced there are no gods are not Atheists, then what would they be referred to as? If these folks who are firmly convinced there are no gods are to be considered Atheists, then we do not have a "full stop" as stated above.

For further consideration, and discussion, I would like to post a quote from the web, along with supplying the full article this quote derived from.
Atheists are not agnostic. The most important factor that differentiates an atheist from an agnostic is that atheists have firm disbelief in God, while agnostics are merely doubting.
https://www.cyberateos.org/are-atheists ... 20at%20all.

Sherlock Holmes

Re: Is Atheism Simply a Lack of Belief?

Post #51

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

Realworldjack wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:32 am From another thread,
An atheist, by definition is someone who lacks belief in a god or gods. Full stop.
So, I'm sort of confused, and was wondering if I may get some help here? Can anyone explain the above quote to me? From the same thread we read,
Lack of belief is quite clearly not a belief.
Is the above quote suggesting, Atheists simply lack belief in god, but do not insist there would be no god?

I am honestly asking these questions in order to get a better understanding, because I do not believe all Atheists would identify with the above. In other words, I believe there are folks who are firmly convinced there are no gods. If the folks who are firmly convinced there are no gods are not Atheists, then what would they be referred to as? If these folks who are firmly convinced there are no gods are to be considered Atheists, then we do not have a "full stop" as stated above.

For further consideration, and discussion, I would like to post a quote from the web, along with supplying the full article this quote derived from.
Atheists are not agnostic. The most important factor that differentiates an atheist from an agnostic is that atheists have firm disbelief in God, while agnostics are merely doubting.
https://www.cyberateos.org/are-atheists ... 20at%20all.
Let me start by asking a question, how many definitions do you think there are, of "atheism"?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: Is Atheism Simply a Lack of Belief?

Post #52

Post by TRANSPONDER »

https://www.cyberateos.org/are-atheists ... 20at%20all."

I think he's in error. In error about the definitions and the logic. It's easy to be misled because those who are still confused can sound open to persuasion while atheists can sound more denialist. but that has nothing to do with agnosticism or atheism. A doubter who hasn't gone into it may be open to persuasion with one or more of the very well -constructed evangelical packages, but the atheists who has been around the block a few times are pretty sure the Theist case is not sound.

That has nothing to do with the basis of agnosticism but everything to do with -if one does not believe - (atheism) how strong is the basis for that doubt?