Is Pope Francis right that it is selfish to have pets rather than children?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

Pope Francis recently suggested that choosing to have pets rather than children is selfish. He stated further that it "is a denial of fatherhood and motherhood and diminishes us, takes away our humanity."

However, in early 2020, he upheld celibacy requirements by refusing to allow the ordination of married men to address a shortage of priests in the Amazon.

If so, is it then consistent to require priests to practice celibacy? Wouldn't doing so be a forced "denial of fatherhood" and a requirement to practice what the Pope considers selfish?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Re: Is Pope Francis right that it is selfish to have pets rather than children?

Post #2

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to Tcg in post #1
The CC has a way of maneuvering everything into a discussion of birth control. As for its priests, keeping them from being family men has the negative effect of keeping them removed from the "flock", looking down on them from a higher position.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by nobspeople »

Tcg wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:38 am .

Pope Francis recently suggested that choosing to have pets rather than children is selfish. He stated further that it "is a denial of fatherhood and motherhood and diminishes us, takes away our humanity."

However, in early 2020, he upheld celibacy requirements by refusing to allow the ordination of married men to address a shortage of priests in the Amazon.

If so, is it then consistent to require priests to practice celibacy? Wouldn't doing so be a forced "denial of fatherhood" and a requirement to practice what the Pope considers selfish?

Tcg
Any belief system that requires someone to do something or act a certain way to get 'a reward' is a selfish religion. This would include all sects of christianity that I'm aware of at this time.
In regards to christianity, they recruit a number of ways, one of which is 'breeding into' it. The more kids a person has that's a christian, the more likely christianity is to amass more soldiers (while not a guarantee, it's easier to raise kids and twist their minds to believing in bunk as they grow, than it is to convince an adult with their own experiences). More soldiers mean more power and influence across humanity and more money in their pockets (sounds like politics - no wonder the two align themselves so frequently).
So trying to convince someone that pets is selfish while having kids is not (kids which live longer than most pets, causing drain on the planet and its resources, grow up a lot more likely to benefit the planet but also diminish is through acts of selfishness, murder, plunger resources than any pet) is a MO I suspect christianity would wrongly (IMOP) support.
I wonder what popey mcpope's ideas on adoption is? Should people only adopt younger kids with more malleable minds, to benefit their cul...I mean... religion? If that's not been address before I suspect it's only a matter of time.
Making statements like this is just another reason why people hate christianity so much. You'd think, being 'one with god' (or whatever mumbo jumbo they claim) they'd see that.
Popey's statement is, to me, truly vile and disgusting. Shame on him for being so closeminded and stupid.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

theophile
Guru

Post #4

Post by theophile »

Tcg wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:38 am .

Tcg
There may be some truthful aspects to it (e.g., parenthood may be an important part of our humanity, and there certainly are children who need help in the world), but as a Catholic (by birth) who has 3 dogs and no children, I found it a bit insensitive and irresponsible. The world doesn't need more human beings. It actually needs a more focused concern for animal-kind. (Maybe not as 'pets' but in general.)

And yah, just a bit hypocritical on the priesthood.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Tcg wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:38 am

Tcg
I suppose that would depend on where ones priorities lie: obviously, if everyone chose to have pets rather than children the human race would die out. If one believes the animals would fare better without us that would be the ultimate act of selflessness.

Ultimately the question of is it right or wrong is asking people to say what they believe. I feel confident you are not requesting people in this forum to post their personal belief based opinion on whether this would be "right or wrong".

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Savant

Post #6

Post by 1213 »

Tcg wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:38 am ...
I think it can be. It depends on the person. Some may choose that for selfish reasons, and some may choose opposite, because of selfish reasons. I think it was wrong generalization, which also leads to question, did Pope choose not to have kids because of selfish reasons (assuming he doesn’t have secret kids).

Avoice
Guru

Post #7

Post by Avoice »

The pope .. why listen to him?
He refuses to even try to obey gods first commandment. To be fruitful and multiply