Rejoice in failure?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Rejoice in failure?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Proverbs 24:17 reads, “Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth:"

Should christians rejoice when their enemy falls and their hearts shine when he stumbles?
What is this 'enemy'? Satan or sinners (seems satan is more an enemy to good/righteousness/god than the lowly sinner)?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Re: Rejoice in failure?

Post #11

Post by Athetotheist »

Aetixintro wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:58 am [Replying to Athetotheist in post #9]

Either there are mistakes in Matthew 5:44-45 or it comes down to context and interpretation.

It seems logical to say that you should not love evil people. So I think it's about "enemies" as brothers and sisters with whom you have an disagreement with. If you face legal persecution from the Righteous, perhaps best to just turn yourself in and face justice.

Similarly, "turning the other cheek" is between 2 friends who are discussing something and it becomes heated and one who says strongly and stands one's ground, gets smacked on the cheek, but loves his friend so much that he turns the other cheek as well, telling something of great importance.

These 2 instances are not about true enemies, I think, or evil seeps in and pollutes all of it, erasing belief as result.
I guess that's why the Christian Bible has Jesus saying, "Father, smite my true enemies and send them to hell, even though they know not what they do," after he turns himself in to face justice.