Babylon the Great

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Babylon the Great

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Babylon the Great, commonly known as the Whore of Babylon.

For discussion
What is it? What does it mean? Is it a place, person, action? How does it pertain to modern christianity? Or does it?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Babylon the Great

Post #81

Post by JehovahsWitness »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:44 pm
As explained above Babylon is we believe all FALSE religion. (see edit). As for the time frame, the UNITED NATION has only existed since 1945 and so the clock has only really started ticking since then.

All Jehovah Witnesses have to say for the scarlet harlot is .... tictock,tictock!!

2ndpillar2 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:12 pm
The "woman", Babylon the Great, sits on a scarlet beast. She is not the "scarlet beast" (Revelation 17:3).
Did I say she was the scarlet beast? We believe the scarlet beast represents the UNITED NATIONS.

SINCE WHEN COULD WE EXPECT BABYLON TO BE DESTROYED?
[NOTE: Further regarding TIMEFRAME: As mentioned, the potential for the destruction has only existed (in the body of the UNITED NATIONS, since its "creaton" in 1945. In 1943 our organisation made it clear we believed the system would continue for some time after the 1940s and that the end was not at that time imminent.

In short, Jehovah's Witneses have not been expecting Babylon to be destroyed for 2000 years, but we came to understand her destruction was for well after the 1940's, preceded (as has proved to be the case) by a gradual reduction in influence and overall membership]

RELATED POSTS
What does the SCARLET beast of Revelation 13 & 17 represent?
viewtopic.php?p=1018325#p1018325

666 the mark of the beast (Rev 13:16)
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 36#p846836

Who or what is represented by the 8th "King" of REV 17:11?
viewtopic.php?p=1056167#p1056167

Who or what is represented by THE WHORE OF BABYLON?
viewtopic.php?p=1065532#p1065532
To learn more please go to other posts related to

DANIEL'S PROPHECIES , .THE SECOND COMING * and ... THE BOOK OF REVELATION
*The Return of Christ
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:39 pm, edited 8 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

mgb
Guru

Post #82

Post by mgb »

I think the book of revelation is generic. It applies to all ages. There are always antichrists, false prophets, great beasts, wars and so on.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #83

Post by JoeyKnothead »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:44 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:11 pm
Your religion's organized as well. So Let's hope the UN does a thorough job

As explained above Babylon is we believe all FALSE religion. (see edit). As for the time frame, the UNITED NATION has only existed since 1945 and so the clock has only really started ticking since then.

All Jehovah Witnesses have to say for the scarlet harlot is .... tictock,tictock!!

Has a religious person ever made a bible based prediction that came true?

Violent imagery is often associated with mental health issues. Negative'ns.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #84

FIRSTLY, PLEASE NOTE I make no claims here, I am simply expressing what I believe based on the bible. Please take all sentences to be preceeded by the premise "I believe ..."
JoeyKnothead wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:13 pm
Has a religious person ever made a bible based prediction that came true?
Humans predictions are hit and miss, biblical predictions I believe come from God who is, in my opinion always right.

Returning to the OP, whether the Jehovah's Witnesses understanding is accurate and if the UNITED NATIONS do indeed destroy the world's religions, it will be confirmation we alone properly understood biblical prophecy.

Time will tell,

JW

ps: If you've read the account, you'll know that BTG comes to a most violent end but that is nothing to compare to the violence she has perpetuated over millenium. History, like prophecy, is not for the squeamish.

All posts I write represent my personal faith based beliefs as one of Jehovah's Witnesses

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #85

Post by JoeyKnothead »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:58 pm FIRSTLY, PLEASE NOTE I make no claims here, I am simply expressing what I believe based on the bible. Please take all sentences to be preceeded by the premise "I believe ..."
It's understood so many Christian beliefs're not grounded in fact, or truth, or any combination thereof.
JehovahsWitness wrote:
JoeyKnothead wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:13 pm Has a religious person ever made a bible based prediction that came true?
Humans predictions are hit and miss, biblical predictions I believe come from God who is, in my opinion always right.
You can't even show he's there to have him an opinion ya can't show he does.
JehovahsWitness wrote: Returning to the OP, whether the Jehovah's Witnesses understanding is accurate and if the UNITED NATIONS do indeed destroy the world's religions, it will be confirmation we alone properly understood biblical prophecy.

Time will tell.
Again, we've been waiting two thousand and a bunch more years, and ain't seen one god yet.

Maybe if all the end timers'd hold their breath.

I notice you had nothing to say about my comments regarding your use of violent imagery to tell your tale. And its association with negative mental states.

Alas, we'll see in these various debates so many theists who simply ignore anything that'd put shame to their sacred beliefs

As they promote a god whose violence is on, well, a biblical scale :facepalm:
-Punkinhead Martin

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #86

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:16 pm
I notice you had nothing to say about my comments regarding your use of violent imagery to tell your tale.
I notice you have nothing to say about why we have not been expecting BTG to be destroyed for 2000 years. We both then have noticed content but mine, at least is on topic. (If you read my postscript (which I am confident you did), you saw that I did indeed make a comment related to the image; if you find it unduly shocking or explicit, feel free to report it)

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #87

2ndpillar2 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:19 pm
The destruction of Babylon will not be by the hand of the UN. It is portrayed to be destroyed by a strong angel per Revelation 18:21 ...
No, if you read the account carefully, the angel uses a millstone as an object lesson*, it doesn't destroy Babylon The Great.

* OBJECT LESSON : A striking practical example of a principle or ideal.

John is quite clear how and by whose "hand" the Harlot meets her end ...

(WARNING! I am about to post a bible passage which some may find triggering or distressingly graphic in nature, if you are of a particularly sensitive disposition you may wish to look away now... )

REVELATION 17:16 - New International Version

The beast and the ten horns you saw will hate the prostitute. They will bring her to ruin and leave her naked; they will eat her flesh and burn her with fire.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #88

Post by JoeyKnothead »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:26 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:16 pm I notice you had nothing to say about my comments regarding your use of violent imagery to tell your tale.
I notice you however have nothing to say about why we have not been expecting BTG to be destroyed for 2000 years.
Scare tactics abound in the bible. It's not shocking at all to see you employ the same tactic in an effort to get folks to believe in your religious claims (excuse me, 'beliefs').

"At some future date, but don't it beat all, I ain't got me my calendar at the moment, that I could tell ya'll when".
JehovahsWitness wrote: We both then have noticed content but mine, at least is on topic.
I want you all to give JehovahsWitness a nice round of applause on becoming the newest member of Team Moderator :clap:

And for the ability to declare I don't even know how my comments are on topic or not. A truly remarkable feat of mind reading.
JehovahsWitness wrote: (If you read my postscript (which I am confident you did), you saw that I did indeed make a comment related to the image; if you find it unduly shocking or explicit, feel free to report it)
I didn't read your postscript, as I've come to expect it to be more of your "I can't me put no truth to nothing, but y'all ought'n pick on me about it" disclaimer.

I wouldn't ever want the image removed though, as it shows the violence Christians hope to visit on "false religions" <read, "all them religions that ain't them mine!"
-Punkinhead Martin

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #89

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:45 pm
2ndpillar2 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:19 pm
The destruction of Babylon will not be by the hand of the UN. It is portrayed to be destroyed by a strong angel per Revelation 18:21 ...
No, if you read the account carefully, the angel uses a millstone as an object lesson*, it doesn't destroy Babylon The Great.

* OBJECT LESSON : A striking practical example of a principle or ideal.

John is quite clear how and by whose "hand" the Harlot meets her end ...

(WARNING! I am about to post a bible passage which some may find triggering or distressingly graphic in nature, if you are of a particularly sensitive disposition you may wish to look away now... )

REVELATION 17:16 - New International Version

The beast and the ten horns you saw will hate the prostitute. They will bring her to ruin and leave her naked; they will eat her flesh and burn her with fire.
The 8th head of the beast and his 10 horns (Rev 17:16) are not the U.S. or Britain, nor the UN. Revelation 18:21 reads, "And a strong angel took up a stone like a great millstone and threw it into the sea, saying, 'Thus will Babylon the great city be thrown down with violence, and will not be found any longer." The throw down of Babylon is imaged by a strong angel throwing down a great mill stone, not being thrown down by the U.S. and Britain. There is a difference between a strong angel and a head of the beast.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #90

2ndpillar2 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:25 pm
The 8th head of the beast and his 10 horns (Rev 17:16) are not the U.S. or Britain, nor the UN.
Well we do not believe the "ten horns" of the beast represent the United States or Britain. Listen, you are welcome to your own interpretation, I have read them and suspect I'm the only one in this thread who has, given the lack of responses the evoke. Your interpretations are extremly dense and somewhat confusing but if you are happy with them, enjoy!

I choose to disagree with your take although I thank you for raising points I can thereafter post something about.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

Does an angel destroy Babylon The Great?
viewtopic.php?p=1066124#p1066124

Can we place the destruction of Babylon in some kind of timeframe?
viewtopic.php?p=1066098#p1066098

Which religions are part of Babylon the Great?
viewtopic.php?p=1038821#p1038821

Who or what are BTG's daughters?
viewtopic.php?p=1065555#p1065555

Who Is the Antichrist?
viewtopic.php?p=1039331#p1039331