Can god lie?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Can god lie?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Simple question, that many say has a simple answer: NO, as god is holy and pure.

But, as god is the creator of everything (before everything) god had to create the concept of sin and allow it to happen into his creation (even though he seemed surprised and upset about it, but that's another topic altogether).
Sin is defined as an offense against religious or moral law.
Who created this law? God.
To whom does god answer? No one.

It's said sin can't exist in 'the light' of god.
Says who? God.

So, in theory, god could indeed lie: he answers to no one, is all creating (including all laws both morally and naturally) and no human would be able to know if god did lie.

Or is this a concept that's not correct? And why?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Miles
Savant

Re: Can god lie?

Post #31

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:42 am
Miles wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:47 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:06 am For an omnipotent God the word "cannot" by definition cannot mean "lacks the power or ability to do something", the only meaning it can have is "does not allow himself to do something. In this sense the bible says that God cannot lie.
Which would include making mistakes: God cannot make a mistake. YET, as I've point out before, he admits to doing just that.

If you are referring to his test of Abraham, I think we both know that does not qualify as a mistake. God gave Abraham an instruction, Abraham showed his willingness to obey the instruction, and for whatever reason God stopped him from completing the instruction.
Nope, I'm thinking more along the lines of,

Genesis 6:6
"And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart."

And

1 Samuel 15:35
"Samuel never saw Saul again before he died, but he grieved over Saul. However, the Lord regretted making Saul king over Israel."

And

Jeremiah 42:10
"If you will just remain in this land, I’ll build you up and not pull you down. I’ll plant you and not uproot you, for I’m sorry about the disaster I’ve brought on you.

When one repents, regrets, or is sorry for what he has done, that action should never have taken place. That it was made to would be a mistake.