The act and thought of sin - are they the same?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

The act and thought of sin - are they the same?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

In many churches I've attended and religions I've been a part of that accept the christian sin/fall of man concept, they've taught (likely still do, I suspect) that the thought of a sin is just as bad as the act.

For example:
Thought: That woman is so hot - I don't care if she's married or not. I'd love to do XYZ to her! Yeah baby! = sin
Act: sex with that woman = sin

For discussion:
In your experience with your religion, are these two scenarios - rather or not the thought leads to the act or they're two separate situations - sinful or is the thought OK but the act sinful?
Or is neither sinful?

Why do you think this?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Savant

Re: The act and thought of sin - are they the same?

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:26 am In many churches I've attended and religions I've been a part of that accept the christian sin/fall of man concept, they've taught (likely still do, I suspect) that the thought of a sin is just as bad as the act....
I have understood sin is that person rejects God, or lives apart from God. And I think it happens first in the mind. If person in the mind decides to do sin, he has done it already. Actions after that are just results of the sin.

Miles
Savant

Re: The act and thought of sin - are they the same?

Post #3

Post by Miles »

Taking homosexuality as an example, god decreed:

Leviticus 20:13
13 “If a man has sexual relations with another man as with a woman, they have committed a terrible sin. They must be put to death.

Yet he never said homosexuality itself, "the quality or characteristic of being sexually attracted solely to people of one's own sex."* is a sin. So thinking about boinking the other guy is no sin, just don't do it. But crazily enough, lesbians get a bye on the whole thing; thinking about messing around and doing it---so have at it girls. At most, god feels it's "shameful."

Romans 1:26
"So God gave them up to shameful desires. Even the women, you see, swapped natural sexual practice for unnatural;"

(Of course nowadays we know it isn't unnatural at all, just uncommon :eyebrow: )

*source: Oxford Languages Dictionary