7th day

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

7th day

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done.

Why did god rest? Why did god, seemingly, had to rest? Why did god want to rest?

If god is all powerful (as some claim), why did it rest on day 7? Surely, being all powerful means unlimited power. And resting typically means you're tired from work of some type, and you take 'down time' to gather your strength.

For discussion:
Does 'rest' here, mean what it means for alive creatures (being tired and gathering strength)? If so, why did god rest?
If 'rest' here means something other than what it means for alive creatures (ie no need to gather strength), what does it mean exactly? And where, biblically, did you get that definition?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Veridican
Banned
Banned

Re: 7th day

Post #2

Post by Veridican »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:23 am And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done.

Why did god rest? Why did god, seemingly, had to rest? Why did god want to rest?

If god is all powerful (as some claim), why did it rest on day 7? Surely, being all powerful means unlimited power. And resting typically means you're tired from work of some type, and you take 'down time' to gather your strength.

For discussion:
Does 'rest' here, mean what it means for alive creatures (being tired and gathering strength)? If so, why did god rest?
If 'rest' here means something other than what it means for alive creatures (ie no need to gather strength), what does it mean exactly? And where, biblically, did you get that definition?
I'm not in the habit of defending Genesis, because it's not part of the Veridican canon, but I think "rest" here means to stop, as in legal terms (e.g., "The defense rests.")
All for Christ and only for Christ! :wave:

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by nobspeople »

Veridican wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:36 am
nobspeople wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:23 am And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done.

For discussion:
I'm not in the habit of defending Genesis, because it's not part of the Veridican canon, but I think "rest" here means to stop, as in legal terms (e.g., "The defense rests.")
Why do you think they just didn't say 'stop'? Why say 'rest' when that has a different meaning than 'stop'?

Veridican
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Veridican »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:38 am
Veridican wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:36 am

For discussion:
Why do you think they just didn't say 'stop'? Why say 'rest' when that has a different meaning than 'stop'?
I have no idea, but God is necessarily the monistic entity. He can't "gather" strength, because there's nowhere and nothing for him to gather strength from.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to Veridican in post #4]
I have no idea,
Maybe it was a mis-print? Wrong interpretation? Not true? A lie?
He can't "gather" strength, because there's nowhere and nothing for him to gather strength from.
Thus the question about the word 'rest'.

Veridican
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by Veridican »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:57 am [Replying to Veridican in post #4]
I have no idea,
He can't "gather" strength, because there's nowhere and nothing for him to gather strength from.
I already answered that. "Rest" is synonymous with "stop." If you have greater issues with that, that's between you and the English language. :study:

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by nobspeople »

Veridican wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:04 am
nobspeople wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:57 am [Replying to Veridican in post #4]
I have no idea,
I already answered that. "Rest" is synonymous with "stop." If you have greater issues with that, that's between you and the English language. :study:
Apologies for trying to get you to think further than 'I don't know'.
It won't happen again.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #8

Post by myth-one.com »

<============================================>
Exodus 20:8-10 wrote:Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work,...

God worked six days and rested the seventh to set a sign which man should copy as the best way to perform work:

Exodus 31:17 wrote:It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

<============================================>

In the general case, a sabbath is a period of rest preceded by six equal periods of work.

That is, the periods are not always equal to a day:

Leviticus 25:2-4 wrote:Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When ye come into the land which I give you, then shall the land keep a sabbath unto the Lord. Six years thou shalt sow thy field, and six years thou shalt prune thy vineyard, and gather in the fruit thereof; But in the seventh year shall be a sabbath of rest unto the land, a sabbath for the Lord: thou shalt neither sow thy field, nor prune thy vineyard.

The Sabbath defined above for farmland is to sow and harvest the land for six years, then let it rest the seventh year.

If one performed a study today, this would likely be discovered to be the most productive method to farm land. Much land has been ruined in the past by over farming.

Today we add fertilizers to artificially keep the land productive.

The really interesting thing to me is that someone documented this fact thousands of years ago!

otseng
Savant

Post #9

Post by otseng »

Veridican wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:04 amIf you have greater issues with that, that's between you and the English language. :study:
Moderator Comment

Please leave out the personal comments.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Veridican
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Veridican »

otseng wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:13 am
Veridican wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:04 amIf you have greater issues with that, that's between you and the English language. :study:
Moderator Comment

Please leave out the personal comments.

Please review the Rules.

Sorry.