Wasting Time?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Wasting Time?

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

If we spend an hour per day worshiping Odin or Quetzalcoatl, that equates to fifteen 24-hour days per year. Would that be wasted time? There are, literally, thousands of 'gods' promoted by religions.

How can it be determined (beyond anyone's opinion) which, if any, of the proposed 'gods' are worthy of our time, effort, and resources?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Re: Wasting Time?

Post #21

Post by Zzyzx »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:09 pm I think it can be done the same way it is determined whether one should be an atheist or not, namely by making déeductions based on rational thought and analysis of the available evidence.
Kindly present the available VERIFIABLE evidence that any of the thousands of proposed 'gods' are worthy of our time, effort, and resources. Verifiable does not include ancient or modern tales that cannot be checked for accuracy – no 'take my word (or his) for it' will suffice in reasoned discussion.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #22

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Zzyzx wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:50 am
How can it be determined (beyond anyone's opinion) which, if any, of the proposed 'gods' are worthy of our time, effort, and resources?
Zzyzx wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:25 pm .
JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:09 pm I think it can be done the same way it is determined whether one should be an atheist or not, namely by making deductions based on rational thought and analysis of the available evidence.
Kindly present the available VERIFIABLE evidence that any of the thousands of proposed 'gods' are worthy of our time, effort, and resources. ...
Did I claim there was any? I took your "how" to mean : by what methodology(ie what would be the process). If that was not what you were asking, please clarify.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #23

Post by Zzyzx »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:26 am Did I claim there was any?
Thanks. It is wise to avoid claiming that there is "VERIFIABLE evidence that any of the thousands of proposed 'gods' are worthy of our time, effort, and resources."

If such a claim is made, the claimant is likely to be asked to present said evidence (which seems to be in short supply)
Non-Theist

William
Savant

Post #24

Post by William »

[Replying to Tcg in post #12]

There are those who do thar. They wirship The Great Spaghetti Monster.

I wouldn't be surprised if they refer to the heads of thier groups, as "Pasta's".

William
Savant

Post #25

Post by William »

Time cannot really be wasted, as far as I can assertain.

Even death is simply transfering the personality to another reality experience.

My life time hasnt been wasted on learning how to maintain a conscious connect with the almighty mind behind creation.

It is like looking at a reflection and loving what is seen.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #26

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to William in post #25]
My life time hasnt been wasted on learning how to maintain a conscious connect with the almighty mind behind creation.
That depends on who is asked, I suspect. Personally, it doesn't matter to me either way. And while, literally, you're right that time can't be wasted, in that vein, much of experienced reality can't literally be wasted.
But one can perceived time being wasted, which is how I 'took' the OP. But, as everything is related to the individual, it's up to the individual to tell if 'their time' has been 'wasted'. Or, maybe better said, better spent on other things?
Exactly. Perception.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

William
Savant

Post #27

Post by William »

Zzyzx wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:29 am .
Thanks. It is wise to avoid claiming that there is "VERIFIABLE evidence that any of the thousands of proposed 'gods' are worthy of our time, effort, and resources."
From what I have come to know, the mind which caused this creation, is capable of acting the part of every god-concept imaginable.
Does that make such a mind unworhty of our time¿

More to the point re this reality, why do we suppose that any one of us are not doing our time serving that mind, whatever it is we are involved with, wheather we know it or not?
If such a claim is made, the claimant is likely to be asked to present said evidence (which seems to be in short supply)
I make no claims which cant be varified by scientific means. That mind can be shown to speak for itself, rather than just through others...

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #28

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Zzyzx wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:29 am .

True. Now we have finished discussing what has not been said, as well as your speculations (which I do not recall asking you about) ... is there anything that I 8did write that you would like to challenge? Or that you believe is untrue?

Your question ...
Zzyzx wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:50 am
I will remind you or what I wrote in my post in case you have forgotten
JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:09 pm I think it can be done the same way it is determined whether one should be an atheist or not, namely by making deductions based on rational thought and analysis of the available evidence.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #29

Post by TRANSPONDER »

William wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:08 pm Time cannot really be wasted, as far as I can assertain.

When I look in a mirror, I prefer to find something else to love.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #30

Post by nobspeople »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:10 pm
William wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:08 pm Time cannot really be wasted, as far as I can assertain.

When I look in a mirror, I prefer to find something else to love.
We all love you, TRANSPONDER.
Don't we....?
:confused2:
Have a great, potentially godless, day!