Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Christian's kids

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

For discussion:
At what point should a christian parent allow their child to explore other religions and make their own choices on religion, belief and god?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Christian's kids

Post #11

Post by nobspeople »

Purple Knight wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:17 pm
nobspeople wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:36 pm [Replying to Purple Knight in post #8]
For the second time in two posts in a row I find myself thinking that school doesn't work very well because it doesn't treat people as individuals. One child may be ready for something at 8 and suffer because they didn't get it, while another may actually be damaged by it until they're 14 or 15.
That seems to be how the imperfect world works: some suffer and some excel - oft times not equally (professional athletes make millions why the school teacher scrapes by.
It may not be 'pretty' but life rarely is, in total IMO.
Yet school is designed to give everyone their best chance, and while they tell the genius, sorry, we have to make school for everyone, they're telling the normal kids, sorry, we have to make school so that the best can give their best contributions.

There's no "that's just the way it works" excuse here. We're not talking about some aspect of society we leave alone for whatever reason. School is designed to work a certain way, we pay for it to, and it doesn't. "That's just the way it works" would be something we'd rightly say if the rich children of rich kids ended up getting a better education and better jobs with no public school system in place, but we pay a LOT of money to not just leave that alone. And nobody is getting an education and everyone is being given a, "sorry that's just how it works." In a situation like this we can at least not pay for it.
BEST chance is key here. No one claimed it's perfect. What you call an excuse is just how life is. Life isn't perfect: some will excel for no legit reason while others won't, while some will excel for a legit reason and others won't.
That doesn't mean one shouldn't strive to make 'it better'. If one is so bothered with it, they can act to change it. I'm afraid, however, you're looking for perfection, here, when it's not possible. BEST, as said before, is key, here.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #12

Post by Purple Knight »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:48 amWhat you call an excuse is just how life is.
Then we have no reason to pay so much for it.
nobspeople wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:48 amLife isn't perfect: some will excel for no legit reason while others won't, while some will excel for a legit reason and others won't.
That doesn't mean one shouldn't strive to make 'it better'. If one is so bothered with it, they can act to change it. I'm afraid, however, you're looking for perfection, here, when it's not possible. BEST, as said before, is key, here.
I'm looking for a marked improvement over the state of nature. We should pay for such improvements. What we shouldn't do is accept all the inequality of a state of nature, pay ludicrous sums for it willingly, and say, "That's just life."

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #13

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to Purple Knight in post #12]
Then we have no reason to pay so much for it.
That doesn't change the fact that this is how life is. It's simply complaining about it as far as I can see it.
I'm looking for a marked improvement over the state of nature.
I would question the sincerity of that, based on some of your posts. But if that's your POV, so be it.
We should pay for such improvements. What we shouldn't do is accept all the inequality of a state of nature, pay ludicrous sums for it willingly, and say, "That's just life."
Accept it or not doesn't change anything. But if it makes one feel better, by all means. But I don't believe it would in this case. Quite the opposite.
That's not to say people shouldn't try to 'make it better', but ultimately, I believe too many are looking for perfection when it's not possible. But that's just me. :approve:

Tcg
Savant

Post #14

Post by Tcg »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:52 am
That's not to say people shouldn't try to 'make it better', but ultimately, I believe too many are looking for perfection when it's not possible.
I agree completely and I think that desire for perfection is exploited by many. Some make promises about the future that they can't possibly verify. It's not just the religious although a great many religions, perhaps all, make promises of perfection, but they're not alone. Some scientific minded folks preach about a future where we will live on other planets or have our minds downloaded into machines where we can live forever. It's one thing to speculate about what might be possible, but to present it as something that will happen is an unverifiable promise.

Sadly, it seems that perfection, and there are many ideas as to what that might be, is unattainable. We should certainly strive to make things better, but to expect perfection is going to lead to disappointment and set one up to be exploited by those who make absolute promises about the unknowable future.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to Tcg in post #14]
that desire for perfection is exploited by many.
That is a very important point to make. Thank you.
Sadly, it seems that perfection, and there are many ideas as to what that might be, is unattainable.
I don't know if perfection would even be 'fun' or 'good' or, at the very least, 'not boring'.
I don't intend to speak for humanity (not today at least ;) ) but imperfection is interesting, exciting, and very much NOT boring. It speaks to the 'spice of life', in a way.
We should certainly strive to make things better, but to expect perfection is going to lead to disappointment and set one up to be exploited by those who make absolute promises about the unknowable future.
Agreed. I've oft seen people seeking 'to better' something are, in reality, seeking perfection, never being happy with their found end result.
That might be a mental illness of sorts: the need to never be happy and content :?:

Tcg
Savant

Post #16

Post by Tcg »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:01 pm [Replying to Tcg in post #14]
that desire for perfection is exploited by many.
That is a very important point to make. Thank you.
You're welcome.
Sadly, it seems that perfection, and there are many ideas as to what that might be, is unattainable.
I don't know if perfection would even be 'fun' or 'good' or, at the very least, 'not boring'.
I don't intend to speak for humanity (not today at least ;) ) but imperfection is interesting, exciting, and very much NOT boring. It speaks to the 'spice of life', in a way.
I've never thought of that, but you're right. Imagine deciding to learn to play guitar and the first time you do so your playing is perfect. What would be the motivation to practice again tomorrow?
We should certainly strive to make things better, but to expect perfection is going to lead to disappointment and set one up to be exploited by those who make absolute promises about the unknowable future.
Agreed. I've oft seen people seeking 'to better' something are, in reality, seeking perfection, never being happy with their found end result.
That might be a mental illness of sorts: the need to never be happy and content :?:
It seems too that this may lead to a near constant dreaming of a future perfection. A state where one doesn't actually live the life they have now, but simply constantly long for a life/state of being that most likely will never come to be.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom