Knowing the future?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Knowing the future?

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

Are you willing to live according to what is said by people who claim to know the future?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Knowing the future?

Post #2

Post by nobspeople »

Zzyzx wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:03 pm .
Are you willing to live according to what is said by people who claim to know the future?
No not so much. But it depends on what they claim. If their claim seems to go against what's currently known or accepted, I'd be more dismissive than if their claim seems to 'jive' with what's currently known or accepted.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Zzyzx »

Some predict that JFK Jr will 'come back'

Others claim that Jesus will 'come back'

Is there any credible, verifiable reason to believe either tale?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by nobspeople »

The only reason I can think of is if the believer wants to believe that. Rather or not that 'reason' is credible, legitimate, or even slightly good remains to be seen. But to answer directly, NO, I haven't seen anything to point to these things being true past individual 'want' and 'need'.

Savant

Post #5

Post by 1213 »

It depends on what they say. But, why would "knowing the future" make any difference in this? To me, even if they would know the future, it would not matter, if their teachings would be bad.

tam
Savant

Post #6

Post by tam »

Peace to you (and welcome back!)
Depends upon who said it.

If Christ, then yes. My trust and faith are in Him. He has never lied to me or let me down, and I know that His words are true.

If someone else claimed to know the future and claimed that my 'survival' depended upon following their commands, then of course, no. There are religious groups and leaders that make those claims and demand complete loyalty and obedience to them by their adherents. I would know them to be charlatans for just that reason alone.

Peace to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by nobspeople »

tam wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:04 pm Peace to you (and welcome back!)

If Christ, then yes. My trust and faith are in Him. He has never lied to me or let me down, and I know that His words are true.

If someone else claimed to know the future and claimed that my 'survival' depended upon following their commands, then of course, no. There are religious groups and leaders that make those claims and demand complete loyalty and obedience to them by their adherents. I would know them to be charlatans for just that reason alone.

Peace to you,
tammy
What "foretellings" did jesus make that you think are true? Or has he not, you're saying you'd simply accept it if he did?

tam
Savant

Post #8

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
nobspeople wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:37 pm

Peace to you,
tammy
What "foretellings" did jesus make that you think are true? Or has he not, you're saying you'd simply accept it if he did?
I am saying both.

As a couple of examples that have already happened, He said He would die and be resurrected. That happened. He said that His sheep would listen to His voice. That has happened (I can only give my testimony on that, but I myself know it to be true). He said, "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word. My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him." That promise has been kept with me as well. (and not just me of course)

So those things... as well as anything yet to come.

Peace again to you,
tammy
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

theophile
Guru

Post #9

Post by theophile »

Zzyzx wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:29 am Some predict that JFK Jr will 'come back'

Others claim that Jesus will 'come back'

Is there any credible, verifiable reason to believe either tale?
Over an infinite timeline, even the most unlikely events can and will happen.

But more to the point, I would argue that 'Christ' is more a role than a specific person. 'Christ' is the result of the union of Spirit and flesh. The child of that union. So while still a miracle, perhaps less so than the actual Jesus of Nazareth one day coming to earth on a cloud of glory.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by nobspeople »

tam wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:45 pm Peace to you,
nobspeople wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:37 pm

Peace to you,
tammy
I am saying both.

As a couple of examples that have already happened, He said He would die and be resurrected. That happened. He said that His sheep would listen to His voice. That has happened (I can only give my testimony on that, but I myself know it to be true). He said, "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word. My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him." That promise has been kept with me as well. (and not just me of course)

So those things... as well as anything yet to come.

Peace again to you,
tammy
There's debate on all of these things. That said, the question wasn't to prove anything, but to give examples.
Thanks