Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Better treatment?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Scenario:
Tammy is not a christian. She's what one could call a sinner/unrighteous (whatever term to which you subscribe).
Mike is a christan. He's what one would call saved/righteous (whatever term to which you subscribe).

Both above people are sick with XYZ in the same hospital, admitted the same day. Both pray to god for help getting over XYZ.
For sake of discussion, everything else about their lives are the same, save for what's been mentioned previously.

For discussion:
Would god favor Mike over Tammy simply because Mike is a saved, righteous person? Or would they get the same treatment from god?
Would and should a believer/christian/righteous person rightfully expect better treatment from god?
Why or why not?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: Better treatment?

Post #61

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:07 pm How do you know that you "don't have" a God? What does such a claim even mean?
Atheism.

A lack of belief in a god or gods.

I find it offensive when folks tell me I have a god they can't show exists.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #62

Post by nobspeople »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:50 pm
nobspeople wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:59 pm
2ndpillar2 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:56 pm
nobspeople wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:47 pm
2ndpillar2 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:44 pm
nobspeople wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:56 am [Replying to 2ndpillar2 in post #37]
You haven't pointed out any righteous believer getting sick.
In the original scenario, I did: "Mike is a christan. He's what one would call saved/righteous (whatever term to which you subscribe)."
It's nice to think a righteous person will never get sick or sin, but that would denote perfection. Which isn't something people can obtain.
What one claims and what is true, are not necessarily the same.
Exactly :D
"Perfection" is obtainable (Genesis 15:6) & Matthew 19:21. What "one" call "righteous", does not make it so. If one says you are destined for hell, do you agree? Although in truth, hell, or sheol, the pit, the grave is in everyone's forecast, but you will probably deny the term "hell" or "heaven" and live your life and death with your hope grounded on Obamacare. Your "righteous" "Christian" is just as susceptible to disease as your general atheist, depending on their deeds. They both live a life thinking that they can escape the Law of God, that it has been nailed to a cross by way of the teachings of the false prophet Paul, for they have their own alternate gods, which in the case of the atheist, would be themselves in theory, but most likely someone else in practice.
While I appreciate what some dead guy wrote and other dead men attributed to god (aka the bible), I don't find it authoritative any more than any other religious text. Therefore, I don't accept that perfection is obtainable as a human being.
I also don't believe that deeds create (or negate) things like sickness or the like. To me, that sounds like cherry picking biblical verses to prove a point.
But thanks for the feedback nonetheless.
Your thoughts and writings would be considered by almost everyone as non-authoritarian. On the other hand, the bible may have a larger readership, which correct or not, has a large population believing it is reputable. As for using your own experience as a reason to deny "perfection", that would be a limited sample, which proves nothing. Where is your "science matters"? Simply keep the Commandments, sell all you own and give to the poor and see what happens.
Ah the old 'quantity over quality' approach. That's almost as old as christianity itself. And just as worthless when it comes to reality.
See bolded section above.
Actually, you are just one of many, with their own gods and thoughts. Your thoughts are no better than anyone else. The fact that many have differing thoughts doesn't make them correct, just as your thoughts live and die on their own. Your "quality" claim is as empty as your "quantity" claim can be wrong because it entails many. You will need to come up with a better argument. As for "Christianity", they don't claim they are righteous, they for the most part, they claim they are sinners, among the wicked, and they follow the false prophet Paul, who claimed to be the "foremost sinner", and as foretold in Matthew 7:13-23, are on the road to "destruction".
Actually, you are just one of many, with their own gods and thoughts. Your thoughts are no better than anyone else. The fact that many have differing thoughts doesn't make them correct, just as your thoughts live and die on their own. Your "quantity" claim is empty as your claim can be wrong because it entails many.
See how it works?

None of what you said negates my claim of your comment. And you will note, no where did I say one's claim is any better than another's.
But thanks for tryin' anyway.

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #63

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:37 am
2ndpillar2 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:50 pm
nobspeople wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:59 pm
2ndpillar2 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:56 pm
nobspeople wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:47 pm
2ndpillar2 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:44 pm
nobspeople wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:56 am [Replying to 2ndpillar2 in post #37]
You haven't pointed out any righteous believer getting sick.
In the original scenario, I did: "Mike is a christan. He's what one would call saved/righteous (whatever term to which you subscribe)."
It's nice to think a righteous person will never get sick or sin, but that would denote perfection. Which isn't something people can obtain.
What one claims and what is true, are not necessarily the same.
Exactly :D
"Perfection" is obtainable (Genesis 15:6) & Matthew 19:21. What "one" call "righteous", does not make it so. If one says you are destined for hell, do you agree? Although in truth, hell, or sheol, the pit, the grave is in everyone's forecast, but you will probably deny the term "hell" or "heaven" and live your life and death with your hope grounded on Obamacare. Your "righteous" "Christian" is just as susceptible to disease as your general atheist, depending on their deeds. They both live a life thinking that they can escape the Law of God, that it has been nailed to a cross by way of the teachings of the false prophet Paul, for they have their own alternate gods, which in the case of the atheist, would be themselves in theory, but most likely someone else in practice.
While I appreciate what some dead guy wrote and other dead men attributed to god (aka the bible), I don't find it authoritative any more than any other religious text. Therefore, I don't accept that perfection is obtainable as a human being.
I also don't believe that deeds create (or negate) things like sickness or the like. To me, that sounds like cherry picking biblical verses to prove a point.
But thanks for the feedback nonetheless.
Your thoughts and writings would be considered by almost everyone as non-authoritarian. On the other hand, the bible may have a larger readership, which correct or not, has a large population believing it is reputable. As for using your own experience as a reason to deny "perfection", that would be a limited sample, which proves nothing. Where is your "science matters"? Simply keep the Commandments, sell all you own and give to the poor and see what happens.
Ah the old 'quantity over quality' approach. That's almost as old as christianity itself. And just as worthless when it comes to reality.
See bolded section above.
Actually, you are just one of many, with their own gods and thoughts. Your thoughts are no better than anyone else. The fact that many have differing thoughts doesn't make them correct, just as your thoughts live and die on their own. Your "quality" claim is as empty as your "quantity" claim can be wrong because it entails many. You will need to come up with a better argument. As for "Christianity", they don't claim they are righteous, they for the most part, they claim they are sinners, among the wicked, and they follow the false prophet Paul, who claimed to be the "foremost sinner", and as foretold in Matthew 7:13-23, are on the road to "destruction".
Actually, you are just one of many, with their own gods and thoughts. Your thoughts are no better than anyone else. The fact that many have differing thoughts doesn't make them correct, just as your thoughts live and die on their own. Your "quantity" claim is empty as your claim can be wrong because it entails many.
See how it works?

None of what you said negates my claim of your comment. And you will note, no where did I say one's claim is any better than another's.
But thanks for tryin' anyway.
Your "quality" versus "quantity" of the theist, indicates the "quality" of the few atheists over the quantity of the theist. This would not work in China, whereas the polls indicated 60% of the Chinese are "atheists", which may be cosmetic, as to say otherwise would put one at odds with the CCP.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #64

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to 2ndpillar2 in post #63]
Your "quality" versus "quantity" of the theist, indicates the "quality" of the few atheists over the quantity of the theist.
You're getting yourself confused, as no where did I make any claims about atheists. As you seem to have brought up this idea, I simply said because there's more of one thing, doesn't make it right. This is especially true when it comes to people's hopes.

None of what you said negates my claim of your comment.
You seem to be looking for an argument for sake of arguing.
Having said they, we're going back to the thread topic.