God's punishment

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

God's punishment

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Seeing a report about an upcoming Florida law (link below), towards the end of the article, it was suggested that one could say things like (in this case) "...contracting HIV is God’s punishment for being LGBTQ...".

While the law itself isn't for debate here, the concept of 'punishment' is.
For discussion:
Does god punish people for their sin/sins/sinful activities here, while on Earth? Or is god's punishment being held back for judgement at that time?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/chasten-butt ... 22052.html
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Miles
Savant

Re: God's punishment

Post #2

Post by Miles »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:47 am Seeing a report about an upcoming Florida law (link below), towards the end of the article, it was suggested that one could say things like (in this case) "...contracting HIV is God’s punishment for being LGBTQ...".

For discussion:
Does god punish people for their sin/sins/sinful activities here, while on Earth? Or is god's punishment being held back for judgement at that time?

As I see it, god simply loves to punish people whether they deserve it or not (having innocent children and infants killed comes to mind), and what better way to get them acclimated to his punishment after death than to give them a taste of it before death.

Veridican
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by Veridican »

Punishment for sins comes later, but actions have consequences here on earth.
All for Christ and only for Christ! :wave:

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by nobspeople »

Miles wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:01 pm
nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:47 am Seeing a report about an upcoming Florida law (link below), towards the end of the article, it was suggested that one could say things like (in this case) "...contracting HIV is God’s punishment for being LGBTQ...".

For discussion:

As I see it, god simply loves to punish people whether they deserve it or not (having innocent children and infants killed comes to mind), and what better way to get them acclimated to his punishment after death than to give them a taste of it before death.

I suspect some would say those god punished DID deserve it (those crazy evil babies that drowned in the flood and all!). Seems god can do no wrong in their eyes.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Miles
Savant

Post #5

Post by Miles »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:37 pm
Miles wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:01 pm

For discussion:

I suspect some would say those god punished DID deserve it (those crazy evil babies that drowned in the flood and all!). Seems god can do no wrong in their eyes.
Right on> All god's wrongs become rights for no other reason than that he did them. Now that's an ethic I could get behind . . . . . if, that is, I was god.

Savant

Post #6

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:47 am ...
I think there can be consequences of sin, or wrong actions, because:

Now there were some present at the same time who told him about the Galileans, whose blood Pilate had mixed with their sacrifices. Jesus answered them, “Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans, because they suffered such things? I tell you, no, but, unless you repent, you will all perish in the same way. Or those eighteen, on whom the tower in Siloam fell, and killed them; do you think that they were worse offenders than all the men who dwell in Jerusalem? I tell you, no, but, unless you repent, you will all perish in the same way.”
Luke 13:1-5

But generally, I think it is more so that when people reject God, they reject also God’s protection. And without His protection, many bad things can happen.