How human was Jesus?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

How human was Jesus?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Some say Jesus was a man, some say he was a god, some say he was a god-man (some may say he was something else altogether).
But let's focus here on the man/god part.

For discussion:
how much of a physical and mental human being was jesus? Did he get tired? Sick? Did he laugh at 'jokes' or things he say that was funny? Did he have DNA? Did he have gas? Was his hearing and sight perfect, or less than perfect (by human standards)? Did he dream? Was he nursed as a baby? Was he a troublesome teen, challenging parental authority? Was he attracted to the opposite sex? Same sex? Was he asexual?
Or was he, physically, perfect in every possible, measurable way?
Or was his simply a husk physically, only needed to house 'a deity' or 'god'?

What led you to your decision?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Savant

Re: How human was Jesus?

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:46 am ...
I don’t want to make up own claims of what he was, I believe what the Bible tells about him and by that i can say he was a man, but without sin.

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
1 Timothy 2:5

Therefore he was obligated in all things to be made like his brothers, that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make atonement for the sins of the people. For in that he himself has suffered being tempted, he is able to help those who are tempted.
Hebrews 2:17-18

Miles
Savant

Post #3

Post by Miles »

1213 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:49 am
I don’t want to make up own claims of what he was, I believe what the Bible tells about him and by that i can say he was a man, but without sin.
Indeed, I too think he was a man, a completely human man who most likely had a special someone in his life, a love interest. And more likely than not he held hands with this love interest and no doubt engaged in kissing, and probably coped an "'Oops" feel or two. This isn't meant to demean Jesus, just that these are normal manly interests and activities, which are most often shared by the other party. How about M*********** ? Now this is a very human activity, which over 90% of the men in the USA engage in* and never forbidden in the OT, and most likely something Jesus found pleasure in. So what side of manliness do you think Jesus fell on? Normally I would guess heterosexual, however, he had his very "Beloved Disciple," John the Evangelist.

.......................................... Image

So I'm betting that he was a fully human homosexual.

* source

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by nobspeople »

Miles wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:28 pm
Indeed, I too think he was a man, a completely human man who most likely had a special someone in his life, a love interest. And more likely than not he held hands with this love interest and no doubt engaged in kissing, and probably coped an "'Oops" feel or two. This isn't meant to demean Jesus, just that these are normal manly interests and activities, which are most often shared by the other party. How about M*********** ? Now this is a very human activity, which over 90% of the men in the USA engage in* and never forbidden in the OT, and most likely something Jesus found pleasure in. So what side of manliness do you think Jesus fell on? Normally I would guess heterosexual, however, he had his very "Beloved Disciple," John the Evangelist.

* source

I wonder if the 'gay angle' had something to do with why he was said to be so despised by some
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #5

Post by The Nice Centurion »

* source

Your M+ is biblically forbidden through means of Story of Onan:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onan

About Jesus being a Homosexualist; Captain America has Bucky - does this make him a Homosexualist?

Only reasonable answers please.
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

Miles
Savant

Post #6

Post by Miles »

The Nice Centurion wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:07 am

* source

Your M+ is biblically forbidden through means of Story of Onan:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onan
REASONABLE ANSWER 1. From your very own source, immediately above:

When Onan had sex with Tamar, he withdrew before he ejaculated[18][19] and "spilled his seed on the ground" thus committing coitus interuptus,[20] since any child born would not legally be considered his heir.[21][22][23][24][25] The next statement in the Bible says that Onan did evil and that God slew him.[26] Onan's crime is often misinterpreted to be masturbation but it is universally agreed among biblical scholars that Onan's death is attributed to his refusal to fulfill his obligation of levirate marriage with Tamar by committing coitus interruptus

About Jesus being a Homosexualist; Captain America has Bucky - does this make him a Homosexualist?

Only reasonable answers please.
REASONABLE ANSWER 2. Was Bucky a "beloved disciple" of Captain America? If so, then I'm betting the Captain was a homosexual. Just betting, mind you. Not claiming.

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #7

Post by The Nice Centurion »

[Replying to Miles in post #6]
Hrrrmph ! Iwill look into it.
Meanwhile in adding to the topic I state that according to main christianity doctrine, Jesus was full man AND full god.

https://www.google.com/search?q=jesus+f ... e&ie=UTF-8
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

Miles
Savant

Post #8

Post by Miles »

The Nice Centurion wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:56 pm [Replying to Miles in post #6]
Hrrrmph ! Iwill look into it.
Meanwhile in adding to the topic I state that according to main christianity doctrine, Jesus was full man AND full god.
So despite its invalidity, you go along with the claim that 1 + 1 = 1? Good luck trying to sell that to anyone with more than a 5th grade education.

bjs1
Sage

Post #9

Post by bjs1 »

The concept of Jesus having a homosexual relationship with the Beloved Disciple is likely false and probably comes mostly from writing 21st century western culture onto a 1st century Semitic narrative.

Beyond that, yes Jesus was human. The biblical account and orthodox Christianity has consistently held that he was 100% human. He had DNA, made jokes, nursed as a baby and all that other stuff.

As for sexual relationships, it is unlikely he was married just because there would have been at least some mention of it. Courting norms were very different in that culture, so he would not have had a “girlfriend” in the modern since of the word. Most late teens had some kind of courting relationship in that culture, but it wasn’t universal.

Beyond that cultural norms of the time, anything we say about Jesus’ romantic relationships would probably reveal more about us than it would about him.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

Miles
Savant

Post #10

Post by Miles »

bjs1 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:27 pm The concept of Jesus having a homosexual relationship with the Beloved Disciple is likely false and probably comes mostly from writing 21st century western culture onto a 1st century Semitic narrative.
Considering that paintings of Jesus and his beloved disciple go back many hundreds of years, almost all of which depict Jesus in an extraordinarily close and caring disposition toward the disciple, the concept of Jesus having a homosexual relationship with him is quite old and highly likely. SO, exactly what gave painters throughout history the notion that Jesus was in love with a particular disciple? How about:

John 21:20

Peter, turning around, *saw the disciple whom Jesus loved following them; the one who also had leaned back on His bosom at the supper and said, “Lord, who is the one who betrays You?”

John 13:23
There was reclining on Jesus’ bosom one of His disciples, whom Jesus loved.

John 19:26

When Jesus then saw His mother, and the disciple whom He loved standing nearby, He *said to His mother, “Woman, behold, your son!”

John 20:2
So she *ran and *came to Simon Peter and to the other disciple whom Jesus loved, and *said to them, “They have taken away the Lord out of the tomb, and we do not know where they have laid Him.”

John 21:7

Therefore that disciple whom Jesus loved *said to Peter, “It is the Lord.” So when Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he put his outer garment on (for he was stripped for work), and threw himself into the sea.

Ever see Jesus depicted in such a loving way with any other disciple? I haven't. So why would a guy (Jesus in this case) single out someone of the same sex to be affectionate with if they didn't have homosexual feelings toward them? If you saw some guy cuddling another guy as depicted above and read that he loved him what would you think? So, it isn't just me who sees Jesus as being homosexual, but scores of past painters who saw fit to depict the two in just that way, and to the exclusion of Jesus ever having a similar relationship with anyone else.

Simply consider:

John 21:20

Jesus and the Beloved Apostle
Peter turned and saw the disciple whom Jesus loved following them, the one who had been reclining at table close to him and had said, “Lord, who is it that is going to betray you?”

be·lov·ed
adjective: beloved
...... dearly loved.

noun: beloved
/bəˈləvəd/
...... a much loved person.